Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone

I would love to have a chihuahua in my life and wanted to ask if I qualify to be a good owner?

What do I need to consider before becoming a Chi owner?

I suffer from depression and anxiety - would it be a good idea to own a chi?

I have read so much about the breed and the breed suits my lifestyle but I am also scared because I want to make sure this is the right decision.

I grew up with dogs. I have never owned my own dog.

When im walking around I am drawn to dogs and love stroking them and making fuss and playing with them

Im like a dog magnet everywhere I go im so attracted to dogs and wish i could have my own dog

Im just worried cos if I do decided to get a dog I want to be the best owner to him

Is there any way I can see if im ready to be a Chi owner?

thank you

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Hello and welcome.

You have found a great place to be and we are so glad you are here!

Since you asked......

There are a few things you need to ask yourself. It's important to be completely honest with yourself.

Glad you researched the breed. Chi's are amazing. Cuddly, loving lap dogs. They only want to please you. They are people dogs and need interaction with their people. They are also stubborn. Some are hard to house break and if not properly socialized, can be a terror. Easy to spoil because of their size. You have to be diligent with training!

Important things to consider. Not in any particular order!

Will your depression keep you from taking good care of a dog?
Do you have time to spend with a dog?
Do you have time to socialize a dog?
Are you prepared to train a dog?
Do you have the financial means to support a dog not only on a daily basis (food and shelter) but for a hardship if the dog gets ill?
This is a long term commitment. When you adopt a dog you are promising to take care of this animal for life. Not just till you get tired or frustrated or move.

If you can say yes to these things I think you will make a fantastic owner.

Before bringing a pup into your home read up on different breeds and see if the chi or any other breed fits into your life style. If you live in a small space a small dog if a better choice then a large dog that needs lots of room to run and play.

Personally, I am a Chi person. I would love to have a house full of them. I know my limits though. I have 1 Chi now. He is my 3rd Chi (the other 2 passed). We also have Maggi who is a mixed mut rescue. I also babysit my granddogs frequently when my daughter is out of town. She has 2 rescues. So getting more Chi's would not work for me at this time.

Whichever dog you choose you will be rewarded over and over with the love and comfort they provide.

Look up Chi rescue or other breed rescues and see if there are any in your area. There are lots of pups needing homes out there.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
great quote by Quigley's mom! All important points in owning a dog!
Welcome to the Chihuahua People Forum! It's always nice to see someone taking the decision to own a dog seriously. Congrats on that.
We own 2 rescue dogs, one of which is a chihuahua mix. We walk them daily whether we feel like it or not and that has been a great help to both my husband and I as it gets us outside, keeps us exercising and we are able to meet other people and other dogs. All of which are great for anyone with depression! Dogs are a great deal of work and commitment and I wouldn't have it any other way!
Keep us posted on your decision!
~Dee

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for replying. GIVE ME MORE QUESTIONS PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASEY GIVE IT TO ME

I have tried my local dogs rescue but they hardly ever get any chihuahuas.

I have found a very good and responsible breeder who is well known by all the Chihuahua Clubs and Kennal Club she has been breeding for over 40 years - her breedline is very good and all her dogs live to be 22 years old with good health and good temperament.

I realise that once I have a dog it is for 20 years commitment and i realise it is a huge decision and I want to make sure its right.

Will your depression keep you from taking good care of a dog?
No cos i had a guinea pig and I always put him before my own needs. Im sure even more so with a dog and ive been told that the dog will get me out of the house and get me active and going places with him

Do you have time to spend with a dog?
Im ill so am at home all day every day

Do you have time to socialize a dog?
I want to take him to agility classes and dog training social classes so yes he will get me out and about

Are you prepared to train a dog?
I will go dog training and agility classes so yes

Do you have the financial means to support a dog not only on a daily basis (food and shelter) but for a hardship if the dog gets ill?
I am not well off - im not well on incapacity. I know they dont cost much each day but I will have pet insurance

This is a long term commitment. When you adopt a dog you are promising to take care of this animal for life. Not just till you get tired or frustrated or move.
YES your right it will be for 20 years or so commitment but im sure the enjoyment of the companionship will be priceless cos dogs are awesome friends

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why do I want a dog?
Im lonely, depressed, spend all my days indoors have no incentive to go out, need someone to talk to, to cuddle, to play with, to kiss, to love

Why a chihuahua?
Ive read through all the small dog breeds and chi's seem to be more suitable for my lifestyle. They are needy dogs - im a needy person so i guess we will need each other. They are small and can go everywhere with you. Can easily take on the bus to the beach and day trips

my fears
I want to make sure im the best dog owner ever and im making the right decision. Being a pack leader - am i capable - im more of a follower but I know being a dog owner i have to be pack leader can I do it???? Im very soppy sentimental big softy not assertive? maybe i learn this at dog training?

Excitement?
im excited cos I know for a fact I adore dogs, i love that they always love your interaction and attention and affection, I love their intelligence and characters. Dogs give back so much and can help ppl be happier cos its been scientifically proven that dogs increase good chemicals in humans brain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my fears
I want to make sure im the best dog owner ever and im making the right decision. Being a pack leader - am i capable - im more of a follower but I know being a dog owner i have to be pack leader can I do it???? Im very soppy sentimental big softy not assertive? maybe i learn this at dog training?
Hi and welcome to the forum!
I, too, am a new member on Chihuahua-People. I was going through your thread and believe you're off to a good start; especially considering that you're asking for advise before hand.

From the quoted post, I suppose you've studied a bit about corrective training methods? I once thought Cesar Milan and HIS corrective training methods were the ultimate, most effective solution- but even after years of training sessions with top training professionals (as well as countless dollars) my dogs only learned to fear. About 8 years ago, I began taking Agility lessons which is where I discovered positive reinforcement training. :hello1: And boy where both my dogs and I glad we did!

Here's a really good book I'd suggest you read thoroughly. I hope it's not against the rules to post this link...
The Dog Whisperer

If you're going to take "dog training", I'd suggest you find a place that only practices positive reinforcement training techniques. All of the Agility classes I've been too, use this method. Agility is mainly all about confidence building... So using corrective training techniques would simply contradict what you're trying to achieve your dog to do.

GOOD LUCK!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts