Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always hated chihuahuas...yappy, shaky, hateful little things. My cousin was a backyard breeder and his dogs did nothing to dispel that stereotype. Their female was an evil little dog that would gladly take your fingers off if you got too close. She would sit in her Daddy's lap and if anyone walked within 5 ft, she growled and snarled. The (human) Mom would purposefully approach Daddy with an aggressive stance and act like she was going to hit him to get the dog to react this way. This is how I saw chihuahuas my whole life.

One day last summer, we saw a chi running down the road in front of our house. We live in a rural area and it is not uncommon to see dogs wandering around, but we had never seen this one before. My bigger dogs barked at the chi to make sure he kept on running and didn't stop in our yard. Good dogs!

The next day, same thing. Chihuahua runs by, my dogs bark, chihuahua runs away.

Next day, I came home from work to find the chihuahua in my yard, hanging out with my dogs!! "That Little ....!" I exclaimed. But I was also curious about where he came from and concerned that he had been living outdoors for at least a few days. He let me pick him up so I have him a visual exam. He was just a tad lean, but had obviously been taken care of. Had a collar with no tags. Skin and coat looked good. He was fairly friendly, for a chihuahua. I decided it was my obligation to find his owners and to provide food and shelter while I looked.

I posted flyers on every stop sign within 5 miles of my house, and in stores within a 12 mile radius. I ran an ad in the paper for 2 weeks, called the shelter, humane society and every vet office in the county. I personally went to every single house on my road and the 2 adjoining roads and talked to people or left a note. I had a rescue group standing by that would take him if we could not find the owners. I decided to allow 2 weeks for someone to claim him and off to the rescue he would go.

But within those 2 weeks, he wiggled his way into our hearts and I just couldn't let him go. He just had sooo much personality and was so loving and thankful to us for giving him a home. Needless to say, we decided to keep him.

The vet thinks he is around 6-7 years old. He's white with tan spots (I'll post a pic if I can ever remember to bring my mem card to this computer). He loves me most, but also loves my husband. He has no problem jumping on company's lap and loves attention from everyone. He's not crazy about kids, though, although he will accept petting from them if it's his idea.

He loves to sleep under the covers and keeps me warm at night snuggled up next to me. He doesn't like for me to be up and moving around the house...he'd rather I just sit down so he can lay with me. I have to say, most of the time, I agree!

He thinks he is the boss of the house, which causes a little riff between him and my other dogs (4 total). One time, I noticed his eye was swollen. I assumed he had been stung or bit by a spider, so I just gave him some benadryl. When it didn't clear up at all after a day, I took him to the vet. I was telling the vet how I assumed it was a bite and the vet says, "This is not a bite, this is blunt force trauma!" I was astounded, but apparently while playing or scrabbling with the bigger dogs he got a whack to the head. His eye was full of blood and the retina was detached. The eye now appears cloudy but he flinches when you approach that eye so he has some vision, but we assume his vision is blurry at best out of that eye.

Just recently, I came home from work and he acted like he had something lodged in his mouth or throat. He kept opening his mouth and pawing like he was trying to get something out. I couldn't find anything in there, so off to the vet we went. Turned out, he has some piece of chewed plastic wedged in the back of his mouth. It could have slipped and gone down his throat! But it worked out just fine, and the vet tech is the one who found it, so I didn't even have to pay for a vet visit. So this little guy has been to the vet for non-routine issues more than my 3 other dogs put together!

Oh, and the name "Little ...." unfortunately stuck, so that's what DH and I call him. His PC name is Chewy and that's what the kids call him, lol.

So, I am reformed about chihuahuas. I see how very charming they can be and how big their personalities are when treated with love and respect. I still roll my eyes when I see images of the little dogs being carried around in fancy totes and wearing tiaras etc :rolleyes: but MY guy is a great little dog and I lurves him!

So greetings from Western NC from me and my chihuahua, Chewy, a.k.a. Little .....

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
not a very welcoming title!! lol but welcome to the forum. never judge anything until youve tried it yourself x

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
What a lovely read that was and so nice to see that you too like me realise that Chihuahua's are nothing like the reputation given to them. (as a kid I only ever seen Chi's that bit ya until my aunt got two and I fell in love with them)

I find Chihuahua's become snappy and aggressive due to how they are reared and handled just like any other dog.

By the way what is his name "Little .... what do the dots spell, clue please..

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Awww that is so sweet, and am glad you can now see these wee dogs are amazing if they are just given a decent home.
Welcome to the forum. x

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
That is a sweet story. So sad he seems to have had a loving home but got lost, poor thing. Very happy he found a home that is loving and caring though. :hello1: Can't wait to see photos of the "little....... :coolwink: Cutie pie! lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not a very welcoming title!! lol but welcome to the forum. never judge anything until youve tried it yourself x
I almost titled it "I Hate Chihuahuas" but then thought I might be considered a troll and that wouldn't be good for my first post, lol.

By the way what is his name "Little .... what do the dots spell, clue please..
More of it got edited out than I originally posted....

Clue: Little Poop, but rhymes with "pit" ;)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I too was a chihuahua hater for many years [snappy little monsters] I had St.Bernards for many years Irish Wolfhounds and more recently Great Danes of which I still have 3 oldies. I never thought chihuahuas were 'real' dogs but after I got one for a lap dog I have never looked back and am totally hooked and don't ever think I will be without them. Anyone that comes to my house and is mobbed by my lot is soon converted lol.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
ROTFL...Welcome to the dark side...;) funny chi's know they're not small(at least to them they're giant wolf hounds)...LOL (OH and they're like potato chips..you can't seem to have just one)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
ROTFL...Welcome to the dark side...;) funny chi's know they're not small(at least to them they're giant wolf hounds)...LOL (OH and they're like potato chips..you can't seem to have just one)
Yup! Very true! Once you start you can't stop with just one that is! I only have 2 but we're wanting another....they are too sweet!:hello1:

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Welcome! Goes to show that we can learn a lot from these little dogs. Dogs misbehave or are yappy if that is how they are raised. Just like people, chis are all different. Glad you finally get to experience the wonderful and special side of these guys. It is a gift to experience all the unconditional love and companionship they give.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Welcome! Goes to show that we can learn a lot from these little dogs. Dogs misbehave or are yappy if that is how they are raised. Just like people, chis are all different. Glad you finally get to experience the wonderful and special side of these guys. It is a gift to experience all the unconditional love and companionship they give.
Amen to that! :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts