Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I just got a 4 month old long hair chihuahua. I'm going through the whining phase, endless nights of whining. When will he stop torturing me? :( He doesn't eat his treats (bill jac). Does anyone want to recommend treats that their chihuahuas like? Thanks for all the help you chihuahua lovers out there!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hello and Welcome to CP. Is he kenneled at night. Can you put the kennel right next to your bed. I use small bites of boiled chicken brest for treats at times or little pieces of cheese. Zoey also loves Pupcorn and Yogurt drops.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We have Sparky in bed with us. He always slept next to us - as long as he could see us and we touched him now and again he was fine, but he always woke at 4. Then we put his bed on our bed, and he now sleeps with us and he sleeps from 10pm to 7.30 am.No waking. Its bliss. And I love it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I personally advise against chihuahuas sleeping in the bed, first and foremost - people are wild sleepers and our chi's are way too trusting, they may get squished and or suffocated, knocked off etc.

It's much safer if they have their own designated spot. Transitioning our girl to a kennel was a pain too, but once we did all we had to say was "bedtime" and she'd put herself to bed.

Get a kennel small enough for him to feel secure, big enough to get up turn around lay down etc. You can put a cozy bed/blanket in there for them, ours like to burrow under a blanket into the bed. Also, I covered 3 sides of the kennel with a thick blanket to both keep the warmth in, and make it feel "cave like" the side I didn't cover was facing the wall with nothing for her to see.

My boy whined for what seemed like EVER - occasionally he'll still wake me up in the morning if he's up before me, but eventually they'll be broken of it, just make sure you develop a routine, and stick with it!

Good luck!

ETA- About treats, every dog is different - just try things, I personally try to get things with few ingredients/chemicals e.g. sweet potato fries are just dehydrated sweet potato and mine like them. Bully sticks are also a good chew option. My two will eat anything I give them without question, they're just happy to be getting something but natural peanut butter is a good way to warm him up to a treat also.

Just bear in mind, not all dogs particularly care for treats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Our first chi, Max, has never slept with us ... mostly because he came to us as a foster. I did put the kennel right next to the bed which also help him to bounce up on the high bed when I'm just sitting and reading. He really loves his own space at night, even though he's content to sit in my lap or between my knees the rest of the time. Around 9pm every single night he goes and sits next to the kennel and when I say, "own bed" he bounces happily in. They really are creatures of habit ... I guess it's just all about getting a new habit started!

·
Registered
68 Posts
hi there and welcome! My chi sleeps downstairs in her bed in her 'area' a very big kennel with her bed in, a puppy pad and her food and some toys. she's been sleeping there since the beginning and the first two nights she was whining, i would go downstairs, sit with her, calm her down, then go upstairs again. had to this for a week or so and then she stopped whining and know she only sleeps in her kennel, we tried to let her sleep in our bed and next to our bed in her bed which is normally in the kennel - no chance! she wouldn't settle, but as soon as i put her back in her kennel, she curled up in her bed and went to sleep straight away!!! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the great advise. I had finally found out what my chi loves to eat and it's chicken jerky. So far I had taught him to to sit and down with the treat but he wouldn't obey without the treats.The problem I had now is he started peeing outside his litter. Ever since I got him I had taught him how to use the litter box and he was doing fine until yesterday where he started peeing outside the box. Does anyone know what reason of it? The set up i had for him is: I put him in a playpen with two panels open where one side is the litterbox and the other side is his bed and I hook up his food and water on the panel. Another thing I had is everytime I leave the room he would constantly bark and whine and wanted to jump out of the playpen but when I leave I would tell him to be good illstep out for a bit and I would close my room door he seem to be alilttle bit better he would only whine and bark for a few min and he would stop.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Another thing I had is everytime I leave the room he would constantly bark and whine and wanted to jump out of the playpen but when I leave I would tell him to be good illstep out for a bit and I would close my room door he seem to be alilttle bit better he would only whine and bark for a few min and he would stop.
be VERY careful you have the early stages of separation anxiety which if you feed into it can be very very hard to treat. Your number one treatment right now is the power to ignore. When your going out for a bit walk him or play with him food water etc make sure he's fine then for the next 15 min before you leave ignore him it's hard but you have to do it. Do NOT I cannot stress this enough feel bad or let him know you feel bad for leaving. Then you are feeding his fears and he will realize that something bad is going to happen.

When you return: ignore for at least 5 min walk in put your mail away hang your coat go to the washroom if you have to. Then when he is calm play with him and love on him.

By doing this your teaching him that it's fine when you come and go and it isn't a big deal.

last but not least NEVER EVER CAVE! If he's crying because your leaving correct him gently and do not return while he is crying this teaches him that as long as he cries you will return. so he won't stop.

Again though always make sure he's not crying because he has to potty or is hungry etc. you need to ensure your breaking him demanding you stay rather that him telling you something is wrong

Hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. I'll give that a try. I just got home and I found out my dog pooped in the playpen and he stepped all over it and it got all over his bed and blanket. Ahhh think is getting too much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts