Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks since a tiny tiny one came into my care. I'm sure you've heard this before, I'm not even sure he's a chihuahua. (Maybe you can help on that!) Two weeks ago today, my grown daugher came home with this bitty puppy. Now, this is going to infuriate most of you, as, trust me, I WAS LIVID about where this guy came from. My daughter's friend's parents bought him at a FLEA MARKET for $40 for their granddaughter whom apparantly they can't say no too. My daughter intervened and brought him home. This little guy DIDN'T EVEN HAVE HIS TEETH THROUGH YET!! I'm thinking what, 2 1/2 weeks old! I was a vet tech/office manager of a veterinary hospital for many years, and I've raised very young pups so she knew I couldn't say no. Yes, up every 2 hours etc... luckily he started right away slurping up gruel and eliminating on his own. I was told second hand he was a chihuahua (sold as a chi) since they're very popular where I live. His ears flop down still, he's about 4-5 weeks old, so I'm wondering, would they be up by now if he's full Chi?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This might be a better photo for you to see..

and one of him trying to get to know my doberman, don't worry, Jaden is safe at all times, in my lap or a kennel, running around when my other dogs are locked outside for a few minutes. (All my dogs are black and tan by the way, hence the nickname for them.)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Hello everyone. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks since a tiny tiny one came into my care. I'm sure you've heard this before, I'm not even sure he's a chihuahua. (Maybe you can help on that!) Two weeks ago today, my grown daugher came home with this bitty puppy. Now, this is going to infuriate most of you, as, trust me, I WAS LIVID about where this guy came from. My daughter's friend's parents bought him at a FLEA MARKET for $40 for their granddaughter whom apparantly they can't say no too. My daughter intervened and brought him home. This little guy DIDN'T EVEN HAVE HIS TEETH THROUGH YET!! I'm thinking what, 2 1/2 weeks old! I was a vet tech/office manager of a veterinary hospital for many years, and I've raised very young pups so she knew I couldn't say no. Yes, up every 2 hours etc... luckily he started right away slurping up gruel and eliminating on his own. I was told second hand he was a chihuahua (sold as a chi) since they're very popular where I live. His ears flop down still, he's about 4-5 weeks old, so I'm wondering, would they be up by now if he's full Chi?
Hello & Welcome! :blob5: I am so glad to hear that your daughter stepped up and brought him to a safe place, that is so young :( $40? at a flea market? Geez poor little thing! From the pic, to me he looks like a little Chi pup of what I can see from the pic! He's darling. Bless his heart. As for his ears, Chis ears go up at different ages. My Shayley's ears weren't up until after 10 weeks, Kizzie's ears didn't go up until after a couple months off and on. So since his ears aren't up yet doesn't mean he's mixed. Are you planning on keeping this little guy? What is his name? He's so sweet looking!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Lucky little fella. Whatever he is he is a cutie! Welcome, you have found a great place to be.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Ugh people are morons! I'm so glad you now have him in your care! My Audrey Lyn is full chi and she was a couple months before her ears stood. Little Jaden looks full chi to me. Well welcome to the forum. Your doberman is beautiful! Looking forward to more pics of all your babies :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Welcome from my clan where we also have a black and tan (just one)!
Ears are a funny thing. I think 8-12 weeks seems the norm. In terms of purebred or mix, my Ruby's ears have never stayed up (she is 1) and while all of my girls are purebred and registered, she is by far the most well bred with a champion daddy, so go figure.
Congrats on him, he is a cutie!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the welcome! Yes, we are keeping him. He belongs to my 13 year old grandson who lives with me, and he named him Jaden.
I took my doberman into the vet's office for her heartworm test and told them about the pup. The girls in the front told me that there's a puppy mill a few towns away that is doing this. The county Animal Control has been out there and shut them down 3 times. They just keep on restocking and breeding. UGH is right! I was at the feed store 2 days ago and the woman there told me that there was a woman with a pup, exact same circumstances (so obviously a litter mate) was in getting toys etc. She bought the puppy because she knew how young they were and she knew she could care for it and just wanted it safe. The elderly (very very elderly) people that bought Jaden for their granddaughter would never have cared for it and I'm sure Jaden wouldn't have survived. He had a rough night the second nite he was here, possibly a little hypoglycemic, but we got through it. He's a little trooper, and oh my, what an attitude already! I'm a miserable crate training failure, but I don't have a choice this time. I have 3 other dogs, a minpin, another chihuahua mix, and the doberman. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Thank you for saving this little puppy! I thought getting Pepper at 6 weeks was too young. He looks all chi to me. I know it took forever for Smoke's ears to stand, he was already over 4 months before his stood up. I had a little trouble with hypoglycemia with Pepper, I just had to be sure to feed him at 2 am the first two weeks. After that, he was fine. Best of luck on your new puppy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts