Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Cate. I have a 5 month old blue male chi. Just wanted to introduce myself and I have some questions.

Im trying to train him on puppy pads inside and I was wondering if anyone has any advice. Also he just got neutered and how long should he wear the ecollar? Any does anyone have any advice on the whole red rocket/humping issues? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Welcome!
I have no advice on the potty pads, we dont use them. Our youngest boy was recently neutered as well. He hasnt bothered his incisions at all so we havent had a collar on him. If your little guy is wanting to lick and chew at his incision though, I would keep it on him until it has healed or he has the stitches out. If its still open/healing, he can get an infection or slow the healing by messing with it.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Orlando is a cutie! You need to post more pics!!

I put a baby onesie on Brody after his neuter. They are cotton so they breathe but he couldn't get to the incision. He left it alone after the second day and never bothered it.

His humping issues should diminish as his testosterone decreases after his neuter. If he's getting really obnoxious, just clap your hands loudly and say NO, then give him something else to do.

As for pads, just praise like crazy when he uses them. Clean up any mistakes really well with an enzyme cleaner such as nature's miracle so he can't smell where he went before as the odor draws them back.

·
Registered
384 Posts
welcome to chi ppl, and we cant wait to c pics of yur chi :)

and i showed randy were his pad was. he ended up going on that. he'll adjust. if you see your pup poop anywhere, get some tissue and put the poop on a pad, maybe he'll go to it then

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. Yeah the yet said that he was licking his stitches there so they sent it home with him. They said 2 weeks he has to wear it but he makes a gagging noise with it on. They put it on him so I cant image they put it to tight. I just feel bad because he hates it. I could try the onsie thing but Im afraid he will go potty in it. He will not go outside. I have the pads all around the house he just hops off when I set him on it and goes on the carpet.

Also do you guys leave food out all the time? He goes potty ALOT and Im wondering if I should try a feeding schedule. Heres some more pics of him.

Here he is with his ecollar

Here he is with me and my daughter :)

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Hi and welcome Cate and Orlando.. Bless the little fella having "the dreaded collar".. Your vet will know best for him and by all means follow his lead.. I know we have been quite fortunate with our neutered boys.. Only one (Rocky) out of our 8 neutered guys thru the years had to wear a collar after his procedure.. he was the only one who could not be trusted not to lick and irritate his surgery site. And he hated it acting like we were torturing him :( Thankfully, he only had to wear it for 7 days.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Welcome to the board! He is darling :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome to the forum from a fellow newbie! He is soooo adorable!! Oh, and I love your user name! Looking forward to more posts and more pics! (I'm still working on uploading pics of my ball of fur.)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Welcome! I only have 1 chi & used to leave food out all the time, but because of severe allergies, I had to change her diet. You might be confusing the poor boy & sending the wrong message leaving pads down all over the house. I would only put 1 or 2 at the most down. You would have to watch closely after feeding (usually about 10-15) after feeding, you can count on him having to go. Make sure to put him on the pad & praise him like crazy. He'll get the idea.
He's so cute!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I only have 2 down in the main areas where he always goes. I take him every 15 minutes but he wont stay on it. Its tough because he wont go outside either.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
hi and welcome, i dont use pads anymoe, i go to the carpet shops and buy their old sammple books off them, because no matter what rug i put down they will pee and poo on them. and they are cheaper then the pads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts