Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

This is my first time on this site. My hubby and I picked up our 10 week Chi pup, Rocky, on Saturday and have got 2 weeks off work to settle him in our home. He's so beautiful and has been amazing since we got him, hardly any accidents using his puppy pads, playing and sleeping well at day... HOWEVER at night time it's a different story!! We started with him in his crate on the first night, we have a lovely fleecey bed and made it really homely. He started crying when we left him which we tried to ignore but he got really distressed biting the bars and scratching to get out. I spent most of the night with him and he wet his bed as well. The 2nd day we bought a pen and put the crate in it and left the crate door open at night so he didn't feel trapped. He slept very well that night but the following 2 has been unable to sleep again unless one of us is in the room. We've tried a ticking clock, small fluffy hot water bottle and the DAP spray but nothing is working. He's in the kitchen and I want to try and avoid having him in our bedroom but I'm thinking that might be the solution so hubby and I don't have to take it in turns sleeping on the kitchen floor!!!

Please let me know if this is normal, how long it lasts and any recommendations!!! Advice would be much appreciated. If this is normal and will last a week I'm happy to persevere but I don't want to make bedtime stressful for Rocky, and us!!

Thanks! Xxx

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
hi hi im not too sure on how to give u advice about this as i never crated dexter. i basically used my own room as his "crate" when they're pups however they will have accidents in bed from time to time so that lovely bed you will be washing a lot :lol: i didnt want to deal with the cries and everythin else that u seem to be doin so thats why he had his own "area" in the room when i slept in my bed. im sure other people will chime and help u in the crating method. i wish u lots of luck! :albino:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hm. I don't crate either. I section off a part of my room so that she is safe but at the same time she doesn't feel like she is secluded and cut off from me. Maybe this might work for you? I know there are members here who crate trained their dog and they will offer more advice soon!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi,

I do crate at night and it has gone really well with Barney. I put the crate in the bedroom, facing the bed so he can see me. I got a bag of delicious treats and put them in a jar by the crate on my dresser. At night after I'm sure he's gone potty enough, I follow the same routine of carrying him to the crate area, getting the treat jar down, asking him to sit, put the treat in the crate and say 'go in crate' and 'good boy'. He runs in the crate to enjoy his treat, and I close the door.

We got him at 8 1/2 weeks old and started doing this right away. The first few nights I left a light on so he could see me in bed and I complimented him on being quiet a few times. The first nights I also got up and took him outside a few times even without him asking. He never did anything or cried, so I stopped that and he sleeps all night. Granted, I am sleeping shorter overall hours, but I nap :)

A factor that might have helped him is that we have two dobermans. The first nights when he made noise in the crate, they came off their couches to check on him. I'm thinking their presence, and being able to see us in bed has helped him learn to settle down. The routine in the evening also seems to help. As soon as we come inside from that last potty break, I can see him getting excited about the treat jar. He's jumping around and excited. BTW, I've switched the treat to his regular kibbles, and just crumble a real treat in the jar to flavor them all. So he's really only getting two additional kibbles :)

We have always had our dogs sleep in our bedroom with us. I think they are pack animals, so being close with us when we are home is important for them. Also, I think of them as mini-alarms in the case of bumps or noises in the night. So we all get comfort from each other. I wouldn't allow a dog free roam at night, however, until they are completely trustworthy.

Whatever choice you make as far as sleeping arrangements, you should try to reward good behavior and avoid rewarding behavior you do not want. Responding to crying is rewarding behavior you do not want. Try to figure out what your puppy likes (typically attention, pleasing you, and food) and use those things to mold behavior you want for the dog long term.

Good luck and congratulations on your little love bug.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Congratulations and welcome. When I got my chi at 9 weeks old, I did crate training from the very beginning. I was lucky, he only cried for two nights and only for 10-15 minutes!! I keep the crate in my bedroom at night and in the living room during the day. He should look at his crate as his "den" where he can feel safe. I actually have a "carrier" which is more closed in. When its bedtime, we say bedtime, he goes in his crate, give him a very, very small treat and close the door. Right now, even, he is in his small crate (we take both dogs to work with us.) But, they do like to be with you all the time, so having him in your bedroom at night should help. But it is normal for them to cry for a few nights. Angel is the first dog I have ever had that acclimated so quickly! Patience is need with them. Angel is now one year old and has come a "long" way! And I can see more improvement coming.

Again congratulations! They are an absolute love!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
My my my this reminds me of Bijoux and her "death scream"
When she first arrived Bijoux would not settle down in her pen . Seriously she would cry and cry then when that wouldn't work she had this habit of doing the 'banshee' death scream. seriously she wasn't crying she sounded like she was being seriously beaten.

So even though I know I shouldn't have I totally gave in removed the pen and pulled her into the bed. Now every night she sleeps with me and is almost always with me when I am home. She tends to be whiny if i'm out a eye sight and she doesn't like it.

it sounds like your newest addition may be like Bijoux which if it is the case and you can outlast him please let me know because I seriously couldn't outlast her I don't think she ever has an off switch..ever...lol

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I got Amberleah at 6 weeks old and put her in play pen till the crate I ordered came. Amberleah is crated at night at first she cried like someone was killing her for about a week, she has settle down and goes in sleeps all night until my husband gets up for work then cries and I get her bring her in bed with me until I get up. if i have been gone all day and she had been locked up all day and I get ready for bed then she still get mad not wanting to go back in so soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all so much for your responses!! Last night we moved rocky's crate into the corner of our bedroom and he slept from 11-8 with only one wake up at 4 this morning... Success!! Fingers crossed it will be the same again tonight, it's such a great feeling knowing he's content at night. Thank you again, you've made me feel normal and not like I'm doing things wrong (which some of these puppy books do). Have a great weekend all and love to your gorgeous Chis xxx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts