Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there to you all! :wave:

Please forgive my long absence, but when I tell you all about why I havent been here for so long, I am sure you will forgive me!
First of all, the vacation was amazing.We had a terrific time on the cruise and then in NY. LA and along the west coast.I have lots of pics to share and will do so as soon as I can.

I got back 10 days ago...and boy has it been tough!
First of all, I got a call from my sister telling me that my Mum was rushed into hospital the day after we left for the USA, and she has had to have emergency surgery for bowel cancer.That was such a horrible shock.She has pulled through the operation and we are now waiting to see if she has to go through chemotherapy.

As you all know, I was so worried about leaving Poppy for such a long time, but the housekeeper and lots of friends made sure she was well cared for...in fact, she was spoiled rotten.She greeted me happily and seemed fine.However, as some of you might recall, Poppy had been limping after jumping off the sofa. Before I went away I had taken her to the vet who told me she had just sprained her leg and that it would go away. As soon as I saw her, I could tell she was limping much, much worse.She also whimpered when I picked her up.
The very next day I ran to the vet with her and again, they told me it was nothing!! But I wasnt satisfied with that so I scoured the city and found an english speaking vet from Australia.She kept Poppy for 4 hours and ran a series of x-rays (Poppy had to be sedated and I was going nuts...)
The bottom line is, it looks like she has broken the growth plate on the top of her leg, where it joins her hip! I am beside myself with worry because the vet has told me she is going to need surgery!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
She showed me the xrays and she explained that this surgery will free her of pain and she says they need to cut off the top of the bone!!!! :cry: :cry: .She will never have complete use of her leg like before but at least wont be in pain...WHAT CAN I DO GUYS??? :cry:
There are no decent vets here and this vet seems ok but I dont know what to do.At the moment they are looking for an animal hospital that can do the surgery as not every place can handle a major operation like this one...I cant stop crying and feel so bad for my poor little girl.Bless her, she tries so hard to run and she is in good spirits but it is breaking my heart to think of her in pain.
I need to ask Nate what he thinks...should I go through with the surgery??

Sorry to be so down but you can imagine what a downer this is.
I would really appreciate any input that you can give me.
I just dont know what to do, there isnt anyone else who can give me a second opinion.
As soon as all these problems are resolved I will write more about my vacation and post pics but as I am sure you can appreciate my one concern right now is for Poppy....
Please help me out, I need your suport so badly right now!!!
Thanks.....

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The real problem is not so much the understanding but that the vets themselves are not really experienced...I just cant trust them especially as they have told me that there is nothing wrong with her! It took a western trained vet to spot what had happened to her leg.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Do they have better trained vets in Hong Kong? Maybe you can take her there. I wouldn't want to subject Poppy to a surgery she really didn't need if there was an alternative way to fix the problem. I know you'd feel better getting a 2nd opinion as well as having someone you really trust to do the surgery, if that's what is indicated.

Nice to have you back and we can't wait to see pics... but take your time. We more than understand that Poppy is your number one priority right now. So sorry for you and Poppy. :(

We're here for you, sweetie. {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Rachel... :) I will look into going to Hong Kong, I am also going to email another vet in Israel who used to look after our labrador.Obviously all I want is for Poppy to be pain free.Thanks for your support :)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
OK this thread has really got to me so I had to ring my bf who is in hong kong now.....He said bring poppy to hong kong as the vets here are usually QUALIFIED from english speaking countries. They are experienced!!!

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Camilla thanks for your email and pm message,you keep your chin up and remember we are here for you. I will say prayers for your mum and Poppy and you.xxx

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Camilla...I am so sorry to hear about both your mom and wee Poppy...hopefully your mom will have an uneventful recovery....I am sure you will find a good vet in Hong Kong and get Poppy the best of treatment....I will keep both of them in prayers.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Camilla, I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. My prayers go out to you and your family. I hope your mother makes a speedy recovery. Hopefully the vets in Hong Kong have some much needed answers and solutions for you. I'm so glad for Poppy's sake that you went for a second opinion and that your gut told you something more was wrong. Stay strong and keep us posted. We're here for you.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Camilla, I am so sorry to hear about Poppy's leg and and your mom's cancer. Hopefully, both will be healed soon.

Are you comfortable with the vet and his diagnosis? Did you actually see the x-rays and determine where the fracture was or that there was one? Cooper just had knee surgery and I was as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs but I consented to the surgery only after I got a 2nd opinion ... then got a 3rd opinion (at a vet's office over 2 hours away). I knew he needed it, it just helped to hear it a couple times.

I really suggest finding another vet as soon as possible - not only to keep Poppy from having pain but if you don't repair growth plate injuries quickly, it could repair itself and stop all growth in that limb.

I can't remember who mentioned it, but I agree with the Hong Kong suggestion. There are many more English speakers there and it makes it easier to find someone who you feel is competent enough to make a diagnosis.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Camilla, I'm happy you had a wonderful vacation, but sorry you had to come home to so many problems.

I agree with you on getting a second opinion on Poppy's surgery, and it sounds as though Hong Kong is your best bet for a vet that you have confidence in.

I'll be keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers, and hope that your mom doesn't need the chemo.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Camilla...please go to Hong Kong....My bfs mums secretary can look for a decent vet for u if u need help in that way........please let me know!

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Well Camilla I am sooo happy you are back! :) But what horrible news to come home too. :( I hope your mom recovers quickly, I will keep her and you in my thoughts.

As for Poppy, Mr. Peepers broke the growth plate on his knee. I was told that if he didn't have the surgery he wouldn't be able to use his leg, he would probably keep it hiked up. He had the surgery and recovered quickly. It's like it never happened.

I don't understand why she won't be able to use the leg if she has surgery? I thought surgery was supposed to fix things. It's a good idea to look into other vets because I'm sure you want her to be pain free but also be able to have use of her leg. :wink:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hey Camilla! I'm so sorry you had to come back from a wonderful vacation to so many problems! I really hope your mom's surgery got all the cancer out and she doensn't have to go through chemotherapy. And I hope you can find a good vet that can perform the surgery. I'm so sorry you have to go through this! Your family is in our thoughts.

PS...Nate is answering your pm!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts