Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am new on here, hoping to get some insight.

First off - I have 2 chi's - a one year old and a 4 month old as well as 2 Jack Russell's. Crazy bunch!

The chi I got most recently came from someone that never should have any dogs. My feeling is something fishy was going on, it was a craigslist ad and nothing really made sense about the dog or situation. Regardless, I felt horrible for the puppy and felt I had to "rescue" him.

About 4 weeks later, the pups hair was falling out, he became lifeless, not really eating. Took him right to the vet and he was diagnosed with puppy mange.

He started to get better after getting treatment (still not really growing much hair back) but lately is often very hot, and his one ear has fallen down after it was standing up. His skin just looks red and angry.

He's gone back to the vet and the vet felt he's a case of overbreeding etc... but, that isn't the pups fault! She offers advice but not anything that really answers my questions and we are following up every 2-3 weeks. In-between I put him in cooler baths to calm his skin down, put some cortisone on him.

With all the dogs I have had and own, this has never happened to me. Does anyone have advice or lived it with their chi? I'm heartbroken for him!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Poor little babe. I haven't had any experience with this sort of skin condition but I wonder if his ear could be just a puppy thing. My mum's two Biewer Terriers had ears that were constantly "breaking" just from playing. One day they would have pointy ears and then suddenly one or both went floppy. They would always stand to attention a week or so later!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Hi and welcome. I'm glad you rescued him. I've never had a personal experience with skin conditions myself either. Hopefully, someone else on here could offer some advise. The one thing I do think of with continued skin problems is possible allergies. However, it does sound to me that this may not be the vet for you or your chi's needs if she really isn't answering all your questions and your leaving the office still having questions and not fully understanding steps of diagnosis and treatment. If it was me, I would be looking to get a second opinion from another vet.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I assume he/she is getting baths for mange? I also would use a soothing bath in between, (unless the vet says no) like an oatmeal bath. If vet says no, then something like rescue remedy cream. It is sold at health food stores and is very soothing. Used for humans and animals alike. Very safe. The ear may be from teething? The mange is from his background and I would be feeding him a very high kibble, or raw, or a premade raw. It has to come from inside out, and he needs very high nutrition to fight off this mange.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts