Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I'm new here. Found this sit via Google, when I looking for information on Chihuahua sizes. When I first saw my little girl I could tell she had Chihuahua heritage. What I didn't know when I rescued her is she is not a mixed breed. To be honest had someone told me that at the very beginning I probably would have been hesitant to adopt her. My life experiences with Chihuahuas had always been they were nasty, yippy, nervous, hyper, ill tempered little things. She was the only dog in the shelter that didn't have a negative reaction to my electric wheelchair. I fell for her the first moment I laid eyes on her. She is MUCH larger than any Chihuahua I've ever seen, her color and the pattern of her coloring ... are both completely different from any Chihuahua I had previously seen. And she was the the first long-haired Chihuahua I'd ever laid eyes upon. But the veterinarian assures me she is a Chihuahua and that her coloring is common among long-haired Chihuahuas.. M'Lady's temperament is unlike any Chihuahua I've ever seen. She is sweet, quiet, calm, playful and very loving. I don't know what I would do without my girl or how I would have ever made it through my first two years as a widow without her.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Welcome! Yes, we always love to see photos of fur babies! I'm glad to hear that M'Lady won you over for Chihuahuas. They have such a bad rep a lot of the time, and there certainly ARE some out there who fit what has become the stereotype unfortunately. We get similar compliments every time we take ours out - people can't believe we have a nice, friendly, well-tempered Chihuahua, let alone three! I enjoy being able to help educate people who aren't familiar with the breed and help people look past the stereotype :)

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Hi and welcome! I agree with Alaina totally. Chi's really do get such a bad rep. I see so many people that argue a Pit Bull is really a great dog and it's all in how they are raised, yet people don't have the same thought process when it comes to chi's. While it is true that some dogs not just chi's have some of the undesirable qualities you've described. Remember that no one breed should be summed up by ones negative experiences/encounters with one particular breed. Just like people...dogs have different personalities both good and bad. Some of which is due to upbringing and some for many other reasons, such as their genetic back ground as well as life experiences. I have 4 chi's ( 3 long coats, one smooth ) for the most part friendly, one sweet, quiet, non barker, one outgoing, boisterous, bossy, one laid back, outgoing, loves people, the other silly, dopey, playful. Glad your chi has made such an impact on your life. I hope she has changed your mind and given you a broader perspective on the breed. Feel free to share pics soon. We love those around here.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Hi there, and welcome to the forum! What a wonderful name; I'm so glad you found your little angel!
My hubbie and I had a similar experience when our boy fell into our lap after a fiasco with his previous owner who is a family friend.

We both had also only ever met poorly-raised Chis and all of our friends and family members had had just as equally nasty experiences. I was blown away the first time I met him; after puppy-sitting for two-three weeks, I was gone. I was beyond elated when our friend asked us to take him on full-time as his new family. I couldn't fathom life without a Chi now!

I can't imagine what could possibly produce the poor nastily-behaved pups we so often run into... ( hopefully misunderstandings in how to temper them with strangers, and not outright distress / abuse :sad7: )
but between time spent with your lovely Lady and time spent reading about the other wonderful Chis around here, you'll quickly discover ( if you haven't already! ) that chis are in actuality one of the sweetest and best companion dogs around.

my Little Prince is so 'clingy' and well-behaved, he keeps me company from the moment I wake up to the moment I fall asleep; there's no chore he won't spend quietly curled up in my lap or dancing happily around me while I move about throughout the day. and their size makes them so wonderfully easy to handle!
not to mention, on the occasions when he is not actively seeking snuggles, he is still more than happy to humor me if I really need them. They are very clean, too! I suspect you'll find much as we have that your little Chi has rescued you just as much as you rescued her. :love5:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts