Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, im new:) im currently on the look out for a gorgeous new pup....... any advice would be very much appreciated

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi

hi michelle. well what can i say, for one im not very experienced at this forum type thing:help:
im in my early 30`s been with my partner for 8years:eek:
apart from family pets my last pet was a gorgeous hamster who sadly passed away the beggining of the year:sad7: ....... hence why im having a new pet:) i did many suitability test for dogs & apparently its a chihuahua, which im very happy about as i think they are very adorable and cant wait to own one:coolwink:

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
The board has been pretty slow lately but I am sure many members will chime in with some advice:)

I think the most important thing is to take it slow and dont get into any hurry. I suggest that you find a reputable breeder that does health testing. Make sure you can view both mom and dad and that there doesnt seem to be any behavioral issues there as this can be hereditary. Dont go with a puppy that is very shy and skiddish. I would suggest getting KC papers along with your pup even if it be on limited registration just so you will know they are full blooded. Remember that there are breeders out there that will lie to you not all will but some are out there. If you are having to shop online then dont fall for the big elaborate websites as sometimes there are puppymills behind those. Make sure your breeder asks you lots of questions, I like a breeder that asks me about my lifestyle and environment and then chooses a puppy for me as she knows them best and knows what is the best fit for my environment. If you cant get that then make sure you choose an active, outgoing puppy. Lastly and most importantly is when you get that baby you socialize, socialize, socialize!!! Very important for this breed:)

BTW..in case you didnt already know, there is no such thing as a Teacup Chihuahua. Only Long Coat and short coat are recognized true terms for this breed. If someone is advertising a Teacup Chihuahua then I would not buy from them.

Do you live in the US? If so what state? I might can help you out. Also I was wondering if you had considered a rescue as there are tons out there looking for homes:)

Good Luck on your search and if you have any questions feel free to ask:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello and welcome to the boards! I am also a newbie myself I have 2 Chi's and they are the best animals I have ever had! I would agree with the others I would deffiantley check out the breeder and ask to see the parents. I knew nothing about the breed when I got my first Chi...his name is JJ and he is mixed with rat terrier my daughter and I walked into a pet store fell in love and brought him home and we have never had a problem. Now when I got my Bella I had no idea there was no such thing as teacup chi! They told me in the pet store she was a teacup leggy chi.....well I wish I would of known more about the breed and the fact there are no teacups!!! she has a ton of medical problems due to the way she was bred. I always said I would never buy from a pet store but it is so hard when you walk in and you see all those little faces and then you fall in love. I love my little princess more than anything and I am so glad I rescued her from that pet store!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the board. Good Luck on your search. It could take awhile. My first chi I had for 22 years, so it is a lifetime commitment. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi

hi eveyone, thanks for the good advice & warm welcomes:) im not rushing into anything & have already viewed some puppies but didnt have one ( even tho they were very cute ) as didnt feel that instant bond, i know its a two way thing & can`t get the first puppy i see:(i have also done tons of research, talked to breeders, had a chat with my partner & decided to only go with kc reg. i would never go to a pet shop for a dog & are very carefull to what puppys i do enquire about. i would expect them to ask me plenty questions & even keep in touch to let them know how the puppy is getting on, so hopefuly doing everything right:confused:
i live in the uk. sunny at the moment, for a change:p
viewing sum pups this week, i`l let you know how i get on:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts