Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I just moved back to Kentucky from Canada. We've been without a dog for almost 10 years, and I had already decided a Chihuahua was what I wanted before we even got home.

We initially adopted Pedro - he's half Chi, half Cairn terrier. He was on 'death row' at the local animal shelter. He's a 3 year old male - one who just happens to strongly dislike men and children. We've overcome our dislike for men, but I'm not sure he'll ever change his mind on the child phobia. He was abused by his previous owner's grandchildren, and that is why she surrendered him to the shelter.

After a few months with Pedro, he was becoming very territorial over me, and because of this, he became snappy with my husband, so, we decided to adopt a rescue Chi pup, hoping it would alter his behaviour somewhat. He could be very aggressive at times, and extremely calm and relaxed 5 seconds later.

Gracie was 5 months old when we got her, full blooded Chi. She's been just what Pedro needed - his entire attitude has changed since we got her from the small dog rescue. She was an owner surrender as well, they claimed they just couldn't do anything with her. We've got her almost completely housetrained now, and she is very well behaved.

In training her, Pedro has picked up on alot of things, as well, and they get along wonderfully.

I'm looking forward to learning from all of you, and I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how!

I've been browsing your pics! You make me want to fill my house with Chi's!!!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Hello and welcome. :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Hello and welcome! So glad the new little pup has changed Pedros outlook! Glad you found the site and we can't wait to see photos! You can never have too many ;)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm having difficulty adding pics, so I will go in search of instructions! (I have photobucket, but am not getting an option to copy the URL, so it may be my browser!)

I'm sure enjoying looking at everyone else's pics, though!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is Gracie:

And this is Pedro:

The two of them:

I hope this works! My camera is awful, but I think you can see how they stole my heart! :hello1:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you! They are truly spoiled rotten! My husband and I are wondering when and where we lost control.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Kim, they are so darn cute! Gracie is a doll love her little face! I can definitely see how they stole your heart! Spoiling them is definitely the fun part though huh? lol

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, everyone!

I love these two, and can't wait to get home to them every day.

Pedro has changed so much...His hair was short and coarse when we got him, and I thought it was just the texture of the Cairn terrier in him, but as he has become happier and healthier, he's just bloomed - I suspect I may have to work on making him 'groomer friendly' if his hair grows any longer! He definitely has very 'Chihuahua' characteristics and personality traits. He's very territorial and very much a single person dog.

Gracie has turned his life upside down. She hit this house like a little tiny tornado, and we were worried as to how Pedro would take to her. But the pack mentality runs deep, and he's never shown dislike for her. They are inseperable, except for when Gracie has to go in her crate while we go to work. Gracie is very happy go lucky, and we haven't seen much seriousness or intensity from Pedro since she came into his life.

We're very blessed to have found these two!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I posted some more pics of the two of them in an album, if anyone wants to see.

Gracie isn't still long enough for alot of success with the camera - I'm going to have to work on this!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts