Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My name is Codi and I'm 23. My husband and I just got our first pet, a Chihuahua puppy, Bella, on Thursday the 6th. She turned 7 weeks old on Saturday, the 8th. I know I got her really early. I am hoping that doesn't damage her in the long run. Most of her siblings are still at home, but the owners are needing to find them homes very soon. So they shouldn't be there much longer. She was weaned properly, and eats regular dog food, softened. I am hoping to have lots of puppy play dates once she gets all her shots.

She is the cutest thing ever. I do have a lot of questions, and I'm not sure if I should just post them here or in the Chihuahua questions section.. ?
She seems pretty normal for her age, I'm assuming. She sleeps 2-3 hours at a time, then she will be crazy playful for about 1/2 hour to an hour, then she'll sleep again. We are attempting to potty pad train her and crate train her (at night only).

She is full Chihuahua, and she is 2 lbs. I weighed her yesterday on my FIL's scale that he weighs his weights on. I'm assuming that's accurate. Is that big for 7 weeks? Her parents seem like normal sized Chihuahuas. Her mom is about the size of a miniature pinscher, and her dad is smaller. Any idea's on what size she'd be full size? I don't really care, just curious. I'm assuming she'd be the size of a min pin.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
welcome to chi ppl, she is very very young. 6 weeks is to young to be away from mum. I am assuming she didnt come from a registered breeder? She is very pretty. I love her little coat :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Welcome.

I got my girl at 5 weeks and my boy at 6, she'll miss out on a few things but - don't panic. You can still give her a fulfilling and socialized puppyhood, just be prepared for a lot of work!

She's adorable :]

·
Registered
912 Posts
She's very very cute! :)
As far as her size, you're probably right expecting her to be more her mom's size, more the min-pin size, maybe 7ish lbs? When my youngest was 15weeks, he weighed 2lbs. He's a year old now, and is around 4.2lbs. :) But, ya just never know!

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Hi there
She is so cute :) I adore her wee fawn paws! looks like she has socks on
If I am not mistaken I think she is estimated be at least 5.5lb (or more) when she grows up

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! I love her coloring too, it's why I chose her. :) Yeah, she wasn't bought from a breeder. Her mom was owned by a teenager, whose mom wanted her to have 1 litter of puppies before they had her spayed. When I emailed about her, I asked why they were getting rid of them so early, why not wait until 8-10 weeks because that was best for them. But they said they were weaned and were moving soon and needed to find homes for them earlier. When I bought Bella, only 1 other sibling had been purchased, so I should have asked them to hold onto her for a couple more weeks. But since they weren't reputable breeders, I wasn't sure if I'd lose her by doing that. Or if I paid, they would take my money. She is full Chihuahua though, I know she's not mixed.

She seems to be getting a lil more brown on her as she gets older. Here's a better pic of her coloring..

What are things I can do to help the effects of her leaving her mom and litter mates so early? I know play dates, and socializing her with other dogs. In the future, a couple years from now, we hope to buy a larger dog. I want them to get along well. Would socializing with other dogs help that?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The best thing I did for my Gretel was exposing her to lots and lots of people.

I don't mean go out and introduce her to everyone, but I used to be a video store clerk and I'd take her to work with me she'd have her run of the place etc. etc. and now she is friendly toward people as opposed to shy like my boy is.

I also used techniques I saw watching Victoria Stillwell which helped me out a lot. I know a lot of people use different trainers but I much prefer hers.

And, take lots and lots of pictures!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh trust me, I take a lot of pics. I have like 10 pics a day of her so far since I've gotten her. I just can't help it... everything she does is so cute!

I took this a little while ago, I put her in my Moby wrap when we went to Wal-Mart. Then I zipped my jacket over the wrap. She slept for most of the time, and would stick her little head out once in awhile... :)

And she is definitely introduced to a lot of people and kids.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
She's a bit too young to be away from mum, yes. But you have her now so what's done is done :) Just be aware the biggest issue with new pups taken from mum and litter too early is they do not have appropriate bite inhibition and it's harder to teach them not to nip/bite too hard.

2 lbs at 7 weeks usually means a 7-9 lb adult. Just depending on the pup itself. That is much smaller than yo urealize, though!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She can already bite too hard when playing, where it even hurts me. What can I do about that? We plan on starting a family soon, and she is already around kids often. I would hate for her to be playing and bite too hard.

If I ever do have her have puppies, I am not sure about it yet, I will definitely keep them with mom and litter until at least 10 weeks or so. I have researched a lot when I first got her about being removed so early and what it can do. Not sure why the original owners didn't... :(

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
She can already bite too hard when playing, where it even hurts me. What can I do about that? We plan on starting a family soon, and she is already around kids often. I would hate for her to be playing and bite too hard.

If I ever do have her have puppies, I am not sure about it yet, I will definitely keep them with mom and litter until at least 10 weeks or so. I have researched a lot when I first got her about being removed so early and what it can do. Not sure why the original owners didn't... :(
One thing I learned from Victoria the trainer, about biting at least, is everytime one of mine bit or nipped me - even if it didn't hurt, I made a loud startling noise like a yip and it'd distract her long enough to quit and eventually she caught on that wasn't what I wanted.

My girl had a nibbling problem till about 6-7 months but she's nip free now, even when being roughhoused by kids. My boy is still in the finger nibble stage but he understands no means no.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts