Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud new owner of a 5 month old teacup chihuahua, I adopted her at 8 weeks and she is just awesome. Her name is Lia and i love her to death, so does my 9 year old daughter. No real complaints except that if I need some "alone" time at night, she gives me hell! She does sleep with me every night and thats not a problem with me, however, on the occasions that I do need some privacy, she refuses to sleep anywhere else! Ive tried to get her to sleep with my daughter or in her bed in the kitchen, she barks and whines so loudly and I cant let her because we have people living above us. Help! :) :confused:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hi! My chi sleeps with me as well, so I have no advice to give. As it is she's asleep on my shoulders as I type this. LOL Anyway, welcome to CP! I hope you'll enjoy it here! :)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
welcome! but can i please say one thing? PLEASE dont use the word "Teacup"! sadly they dont exist its just a con breeders use to sell them for more :( x

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Congrats on your new baby! Have you tried having her sleep on the floor of your room in a crate or play pen? Mine sleeps in a play pen in our room.

welcome! but can i please say one thing? PLEASE dont use the word "Teacup"! sadly they dont exist its just a con breeders use to sell them for more :( x
Yeah, sadly this is a sceme breeders have come up with to say their chis are small, but they should be anyway since the standard is 2-6 pounds. The breed doesn't have different sizes such as teacup/toy etc. They are just chihuahuas. It's understandable for you to think this though since it seems almost everyone you see online selling them calls them teacup. Just a warning that some chi mamas will get a little upset if you call them teacups because it's perpetuating the belief that "teacup" chihuahuas exist.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I think we need a banner on our home page of forbidden words, starting with Teacup . . . I feel sorry for new people ;} That word is a Chi minefield! LOL

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Welcome, I think crate training would be the best thing at this point if you want her to sleep on her own now and then. But both my chis sleep with me. :)

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Welcome! It's hard because you have people living above you. Unfortunately the only thing you can do is to ignore her whining, or the behaviour will continue. Have you tried crate training her?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think we need a banner on our home page of forbidden words, starting with Teacup . . . I feel sorry for new people ;} That word is a Chi minefield! LOL
LoL :)

but really, welcome to the board! If you need some privacy she would just have to deal with it and eventually she'll learn. Just put her bed beside your bed and don't let her climb in with you. If it's ok sometimes and not some other times she might get confused. I totally understand the privacy issues. I just joke and tell hubby he's a lucky man, in bed with 3 girls at the same time!

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
Welcome! :)

I always say "Be assertive now, and the fruit of your structure will pay off later"

It is very important to not give into the whining and begging puppy. No means
no. You make the rules, puppy follows...not the other way around. I think you
have spoiled your pup by letting it sleep in your bed, and now you must "un
spoil" her by setting some boundaries and having structure. My first step would
be not letting her in your bed anymore. Crate train her. This forum will offer you
lots of great advice regarding crate training. You definitely came to the right
place. I hope you find all the answers to your questions and enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha, thank you! I love seeing other chis and hearing from other owners....I am sure I will figure something out if I want to have a private life :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh geez, didnt mean to offend anyone! I just consider it a description! I love her just the same!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will try the crate or an enclosed bed type pillow next to my bed and see if that works! Thank you all! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you!

I hope I didnt respond twice, Im still getting used to this site but thank you all for the advice, I will try the crate training near my bed and a little tough love. I also didnt mean to offend anyone with the "T" word. I really use it as a description because she is very tiny! lol - I love her just the same! :D

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I hope I didnt respond twice, Im still getting used to this site but thank you all for the advice, I will try the crate training near my bed and a little tough love. I also didnt mean to offend anyone with the "T" word. I really use it as a description because she is very tiny! lol - I love her just the same! :D
No need to worry about using the "T" word. We all start somewhere, and now you know! Next time, I would just say tiny. Anyhow, I would recommend crate training. At her age, though, she is going to need to "go" every couple of hours. She will NOT want to potty in her cage, so that will teach her to hold it. You do need to be constantly vigilant and watch her 24/7 except when she is in her crate.

Good luck :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts