Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need some advice, my chihuahua bitch gave birth to 3 pups 4 days ago, two were normal size (around 3- 5oz) but one little boy was born weighing 1.6oz.

I am worried about him, because he hasn't gained as much weight as the others, who have gained around 20 grams each but he has only gained 6grams, I have obviously been to my veterinarian, and he said the usual, that they should near double their weight by the first week, but he did say he hasn't seen a pup this small.

Trouble is I don't know how much weight he should gain, is 6 grams ok on day 4, for such a tiny pup?
He seems ok, he,s now latching on unaided and feeding every 1-2 hours but he's still so small, I have decided I will keep him if he makes it, I have called him little Jimmy.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
You probably will have to bottle feed him so he gets extra milk even then it can be a slim change for the tinys to survive one of my pups lives until 2 weeks old being bottle fed by me and fed by mom they can go downhill super fast. Talk to your vet about bottle feeding.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I don't have a clue, but I would think just making sure he eats plenty is important, even if bottle feeding is needed. Ivy was born at 1oz, and is a very healthy girl, and never had any problems. I would LOVE to see pics of little Jimmy :)

Lori

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The breeder I deal with now had a pup that size about a month ago, he made it to 2 weeks but then passed away, he was also bottle fed every two hours because the tiny ones even when they latch on they don't have the strength to suckle like the bigger pups.

My breeder said she never has them in that size range at birth that survive, she's had 2 in many years and both had health problems.
Both my tiny boys were born at decent weights, 2.5 oz and 3 oz.
One matured at 3 pounds and fluctuates up to 3 oz over 3 pounds depending, and the other we are not sure but he may end up a bit smaller.

Good luck!! I would really really supplement that baby, it's possible he may live! depending on the lines and sizes and all.
I mean if Lori's Fern made it.. thats almost miracle like so there is hope!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your kind advice, Jimmy is now 16 days old and weighs 3oz, for the last the last two weeks i have been syringe feeding him every 2 hours with the evaporated milk, water, egg yolk and yoghurt recipe, for two days his little belly was bloated which was solved with baby gripe water and warm tummy massages but the last 2 days have been so bad, I took little Jimmy to the vets, as I was leaving he stopped breathing, I rubbed karo on his gums and he came round, so obviously a hypoglycemic attack.

At the vets they examined him and said that for his tiny size his weight gain is fine but that he has a touch of hydrocephalus, and that his esophagus may be too small which is what is causing him to throw his head back which is why he was having trouble suckling, she told me I should only try two more days max to see if he improves and if not I should put him to sleep, I am devastated by what she said, the thing is he seems so lively, its been 2 days since i went, he's not crying and he crawls up to my hand and starts licking it when he wants food, he is also going toilet properly now, sleeps well and hasnt had another hypoglycemic episode, apart from him throwing his head back ( he sort of flings himself forward like an army crawl but has his head right back looking up then he wobbles and falls over) and the hypoglycemia he seems to have come so far, I just don't know what to do, I love him so much but I don't want to be selfish if he will have a bad quality of life, but I can't help thinking that if he grew just a bit more his esophagus might grow wider, his hypoglycemia might fade and that could be causing the hydrocephalus, also being so small that could be causing his balance problems but maybe I'm just deluding myself because I so desperately want him to be ok.

I am so torn, I just can't bear to think of him dying on a cold vets table if there is a chance he could be ok, but I also dont want him to have a bad life, I wish he could tell me, when he was 4 days old I cuddled and comforted him in his little blanket, I whispered in his ear "you fight little man, you can do it" when I got back from the vets after what she said, I cuddled him again and whispered to him "it's ok little man, you can sleep now if you want to, in a way I wanted him to go peacefully, but he woke up and started licking my hand, which he does when he wants his milk, I have cried my heart out all day, but I want to do what is best for him, I just don't know what is.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
This just brought tears to my eyes. You have such a kind heart and I dont know what I would do in your situation. Bless his heart and yours.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Oh this brought tears to my eyes also. Bless you honey for your kind heart. Maybe a little miracle will happen and he'll be just fine. Only time will tell in this situation and if his little body survives than I think it is meant to be. You will know in your heart what's right and I will pray for this little angel to pull through. Good luck and we are all sending good thoughts your way!!!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Bless his heart I would boulle feed on top of mum nursing and keep an eye on him he may just be tiny but healthy the small ones do gain at a slower rate just make sure he's plugged in every feed

·
Registered
166 Posts
Oh bless his little heart. He's so tiny. Like several others said, you'll know in your heart what's right for him. He's come a long way and I pray that he pulls through. You're being a wonderful mom to him. :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts