Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jasmine is 9 months old and my mix puppy is 6 mos. Since I am trying to housebreak the new puppy, Jasmine has started peeing and pooping everywhere too. Now I have two dogs who I just can't seem to train. I have to admit I loosened up on watching them every minute since they are getting older and I thought they were catching on. Now, we just had invisible fence intstalled and the dogs don't like a leash and part of the training has to be done on a leash. So when they are out there they are too stressed out to even go to the bathroom. Now it is becoming a night mare. When they are allowed out loose they may start going to the bathroom again, but they just don't like the leash. Jasmine, cant even deal with wearing a leash or collar so she really isn't being trained yet. So she is in the house while I am out with the other dogs and also going in the house. the reason she is getting away with this is because she uses the litter box too, so I am not watching her as close as necessary. Now do I keep her confined all the time again, except when I am really playing and watching her..like at first.. or what?? I am very frustrated. I have had to deal with this housebreaking issue since NOV and I am tired of it already.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chi Lady---By the way, where did you get the angel wing harness in your photo. I would like one for my little devil. I like it better than the dress ones I have seen.

Thanks....anyone else have any helpful hints for my problems??

Denise

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OH, my Jasmine is full grown already...I could get her one that she won't grow out of. She is a small 5 lbs. My "puppy", 6 months old is about 15lbs and big brother is 8 lbs. They are adorable, but I would really like the harness in the picture!! 8) 8)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just finished reading a book about chihuahuas and what it suggests is that set up a routine that will work for you and you pups like, first thing in the morning, after breakfast and/or mid-am, then around lunch time then mid-pm, after dinner, and then before bed. And when there is an accident clean it up right away. Praise your dog when they go in the right places (outside or in the litter box). Other things that are suggested to help is don't give your pup attention when you come home until they go potty then praise and love them. Learn to read your dogs bathroom language. Most dogs circle several times before going potty, if you see this grab them and run. Control water intake but don't dehydrate them by controlling it to much. Crate your dog when you leave even if it is for 1 min. Keep your dog on a lead until they are reliably housebroken that way they can't just run behind the couch and go potty. I know that one may be a little harder since your dogs hate the leash but these are the suggestions that the book gave. I hope that they will help. I will be using them myself starting Friday since I will be picking up my pup then :) By the way sorry this was so long.

Faith

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I had the same problem with Kemo, I was WAITING for him to start that. It took a few weeks so I was kinda not expecting it. I thought he would do it right away. I had to "catch" Kemo in the act that was first and foremost, then he got a big NO!! and put in his crate. after a few times he got the idea plus I had to lavish him with more attention and I had to stop praising Bindi...

Unfortunately if you cant "watch" the dogs while they are loose then you will have to confine them to a "room" or crate. I use the kitchen when we are out etc as that is easier to clean up. Also Bindi was missing the pads and I found out that I wasnt cleaning as good as I should cause the puppy pads were leaking (but you use litter so.....) so maybe you arent getting it all even though you think you are. I bought a steamer and I steam them alot--I put the Natures Miracle in with the soap to help get rid of everything that might be an indication "hey I peed here before so its a good spot"

It is a pain........ :?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually I am not using litter, but am putting pads in the litter boxes. I have decided to keep them both confined if I am not staring at them. I do shut them in my office with me when I am working, but since I used to have the ltter box in here when they were younger, they will sometimes go on the rug where the litterbox USED to be. It is so frustrating. I clean with a small carpet machine, but I don't think anything getsout the smell good enough for them not to smell it anymore. I also have not thought natures miracle worked any different than anything else I have tried, but does it? I am at my wits end! I feel like my house is never going to be clean again! I also have sprayed NO PEE and vinegar and water and numerous other things on the carpet and nothing has worked. Also mine keep going on throw rugs so I cant have any down near my entry doors or they will pee on them!!!UGH!!! I guess I have to confine them just like when they were brand new. Any other suggestions are still welcome!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I concur... Nature's Miracle is wonderful and you can either get it online or at your local Petsmart.

As far as potty-training goes, have you tried crate-training? I did crate-training with Zeus initially, then as his bladder muscles got stronger, I confined him to the kitchen when I went out or couldn't watch him. Patience is definately key here. Also, I've found that Chi's are much harder to house train then many other breeds. I can remember in the beginning taking Zeus out every 30 minutes and after each meal. I then gradually increased it to every hour, then 2 hours, etc. When they do go potty, praise them and maybe have a treat ready to give them. Use a treat that is only given to them for going potty outside, no other time.

Hang in there... you'll get there. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I confine her when I am not home and at night. I did crate training and she is litterbox trained but just does not use it 100% of the time. I have to admit I stopped keeping as close a watch on her since she seemed to be using the box ok. LIke for instance, I took the litterbox out of my office and stopped shutting the dogs up in there with me. Then they would go in the house sometimes because I was not watching them as close. I guess i have to go back and start again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts