Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! I have 2 adult chihuahuas (both approx 4 yrs old - one male, one female) who are mostly potty trained. They have a doggie door and can go out as they please. The only time we've had issues with the dogs going to the bathroom inside is when it rains or storms. We moved into a new house in June that has carpet. For the first few months, everything was fine. Recently, however, they've started going pee on the living room carpet. We cleaned the carpet with pet odor cleaner twice but they continue to pee in there. I have yet to figure out which dog is doing it. We recently had new carpet installed in the front room, and realized over the weekend that they have gone in there now too (I'm getting the "I told you so's" from the hubby).

I have to be honest - I'm beyond frustrated and tired of my house smelling like dog pee. I have 2 little kids and don't want them crawling around in it. I've gone back to the basics - taking them out before we to to bed and again when we wake up in the morning. If they get up in the middle of the night (unfortunately they sleep in our bed)...I get up with them to make sure they go outside. This morning I came back downstairs to find a new spot on my floor. I can't find any cause other than laziness - the doggy door is 5 feet from where they're going. My husband says it's because they're chihuahuas and we'll never get them to stop.

Someone please help because I'm ready to find them another home! :confused:

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Sounds like they're a little confused from the new move to a new house. You might have to close your bedroom door at night to keep them from peeing all over the house. If you have a fenced in back yard that is safe, I'd leave them out for a while during the day. You could try putting puppy pads down. Do you know if they had animals in that house before you moved in? I suspect they did & your Chi's are smelling the other animals trying to mark their territory as now they are claiming their new house.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about the prior owners having pets - that was my first response to my hubby when it started happening. So we cleaned the carpets (again) with special cleanser. Then I realize they peed on the NEW carpet - and decided there was something else going on. It could be the new house, but like I said, the first few months...even when it took me a week to get the doggy door installed...they were fine. Went outside every time. I'm not sure what has changed. Puppy pads have never worked. I think I still have some though and will give it a shot. My male seems to be getting a little more "aggressive"...maybe he's starting to mark his territory for some reason. I don't know...I'm just kind of over it!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Do you only let them out twice a day??

I would physically carry them out every few hours until they go eventually they'll have a clue!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
The cleaner I use I found useless so I started using Dettol until someone mentioned dogs actually don't mind the smell. Red came to at 4 months of age and not house trained at all.
So the lad thought it was fine to just poop and pee on the carpet. Jake is fully trained and I hoped when Jake went outside Red would follow.

I keep my conservatory door open all day and yep Red went outside to ... play then would come indoors and poop and pee..

This went on for two months, at night he was crated with puppy pads. He'd scrunch them up and of course the poops ended up on the carpet. I tried getting up at 6am to put him outdoors but he'd already pooped and there was no way I was getting up earlier.

I was so rustrated but couldn't show it,I went back to the pet store and noticed a cleaner I hadn't seen before. I asked and assistant about it and she said it was brilliant.

Not cheap which was why I wanted info and on the recommendation of the assistant I bought it.

Wow I wish I had seen this 2 months ago.. For a few days Red still pooped and pee'd and I used ths spray to clean the carpet. Then he started doing the busines outside on the grass. I was so pleased with him, we still had the odd accident indoors but they got less and less.

I have his crate right up to the conservatory door which at night when its warm I leave open.

I have made the crate smaller than shown in this photo, this is just to show how its against the doors. Before I started using this spray even with the door open Red still messed in the crate. If its cold and the door is closed its hit and miss as to if he makes a mess but he is betting better.

The spray... what is it....

Simple Solution, Extreme, Stain and Odour Remover 945ml

Pro Strength Pro-bacteria & Enzyme
Safe for Pets and Kids

Can be used on carpets, upholstery, bedding and clothing

It's in a bluey green coloured spray bottle, I love it and its worth every penny.

Deme x

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm no help because I'm having the same problem with the Chi I recently adopted. He wears belly bands (found them on ebay and come in a nice variity of fabrics) most of the time. I'm hoping some day he won't have to wear them but I don't know. For now they help to keep me sane and they protect my carpet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts