Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, im new to this, so hello!

I have an 8 year old male chihuahua that is the love of my life! But- not the love of everyone elses life... He has major separation anxiety. He has only attached himself to myself and my mom. I am the only person who can pick him up and i understand that, because they only attach themselves to a couple ppl. When i have parties, he barks and barks at people, tries to bite their feet and is plain out annoying. Nothing helps. He gets himself into these upsets after i am gone for a few hours. He screams like he is being murdered when i am in the shower, he does the same screaming when i am not near him. For an example, when i am outside visiting with neighbors, he sounds like someone is ripping his legs off. We had a huge Christmas party and he was bothering so many ppl that i put him in my room and he screamed so bad that he upset his stomach for days. When i got to pick him up sometimes, he screams. I feel horrible speaking about him like this, but it is now starting to come between myself and other ppl. My family gets so irritated because this 5 lb dog is ruining our lives. I dont know what to do. He also has knee problems and has had one surgery already. When i go to bed at night with my boyfriend that lives with me, he cries non stop until hes on the bed, he wont let my boyfriend touch me, kiss me or anything. He attacks anyone that goes near me. I just dont know what to do and i need advice. Does anyone else have this problem too?? What do i do?

·
Registered
946 Posts
hang in there! I haven't had this problem, but do fully believe in the Bach Flower remedies. You can find a book on Animals and the Flower Remedy's on Amazon, just look up Bach Flower & it will come up as a choice. I have used the remedy for separation, fear, anxiety, grief due to loss of another pet, change (like when a new pet arrives, or we go somewhere) and more! Good Luck:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you ever seen Cesar Milan, the dog whisperer? He had an older episode with just such an issue with a small chi ... I think you can google him and then look it up. I remember the episode well, but can't remember the chihuahua's name. He worked wonders with the family, and the dog!

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I am the only person who can pick him up and i understand that,
because they only attach themselves to a couple ppl.
actually, that is not true. a well socialized Chihuahua will enjoy (or at least
tolerate) people other than their owner. you could begin helping the little guy
by learning more about socializing dogs. since he already has some issues,
it's going to be a long process--but well worth it. i remember an episode of
Oprah with her cocker spaniels and dealing with their separation anxiety. you
just don't realize how many clues your dog picks up from you on how they are
to respond to things or situations.

there is much information you can get from books or on google about dog
training. this is one that is often mentioned here:Nothing in Life is Free
the more you work with your dog and establish rules, the safer he will feel,
and therefore a happier, more well-rounded dog to enjoy.

wishing you the best and brightest future with your little guy :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I agree with Therese 100%! This is not typical Chihuahua behavior. Well...not if they're socialized properly as puppies. :) Chi's are a great breed of dog but have to be carefully raised otherwise they will display these unpleasurable traits. Good news is it isn't too late to work with him to make him more pleasurable to be around for everyone. First thing you need to do is not blame him for the way he is. He was allowed/trained to act this way believe it or not.

I agree in watching the "Chihuahuas from Hell" episode of The Dog Whisperer/Cesar Millan. Being a good pack leader is a MUST for any Chihuahua owner. The NILF (nothing in life is free--what Therese mentioned) is a similar concept but Cesar goes beyond that--he goes more into dog psychology/behavior.

First thing I'd do right off the bat is not allow your Chi on your bed, furniture or in your lap...unless YOU invite him for a cuddle. If he displays ANY displeasurable behavior while in those situations...down he goes. If he displays any unpleasureable behavior otherwise...ignore it. Any good behavior...reward & praise him. Make him work for his food. Don't just put down his bowl & let him eat away. Make him sit & wait until you give a key word.

These are just a few things you can do to help...but definitely look into NILF & The Dog Whisperer videos. You can pick up some great tips by watching...even if it's just any episode of Cesars show. And remember...it is possible for his behavior to improve. Believing that will make it more likely to happen quicker. ;) But you'll have to put work into it...so don't expect him to change w/o you changing first. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would suggest you get the help of a GOOD behaviourist - not training classes you need someone to come to the house and see him at his worst.

Ceasar has his good and bad points - but you need to be careful while his methods clearly do work you have to understand that these people on these shows work under his watchful eye and he knows what hes doing - to just use his techniques without knowing what your doing can lead to the dogs behaviour esculating not getting better - for example he does advocate the 'roll; technique - which can work but it would need to be done correctly at the right time and done on the wrong dog at the wrong time WILL result in a bite - and using any techniques without a good solid understanding of how they work with a dog like yours could be leading to trouble.

Yes i know people do use them and with some sucess, but i think you need to be careful with a dog of his age who clearly from what you have said has been practiscing these behaviours for sometime.

A good behaviourst- one who works in the way of rewarding the good will be able to show you properly how to deal with him to make sure you can get on top of his behavioural issues.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hello and Welcome,you have gotten some really good information

1 - 7 of 7 Posts