Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley has just ate a prune pit, my mum was cooking in the kitchen and one fell on the floor! I am really worried does anyone know if this is dangerous??
He just swallowed it in one go before I could catch him.

I have googled it and it says to watch for any trouble toileting or vomitting. I am so worried! He just ate it about 5 mins ago. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,637 Posts
So you mean the stone?? I just googles plum stones cab cause cyanide poisoning in dogs, prunes are dried plums, I'd call the emergency vet and ask if I was you just to be sure as he is only little.

I would teach him the leave command too I'm a messy cook and there is literally stuff flying about so I had to teach daisy to leave as she is quicker than me bending down.

I hope he is ok
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
Somewhere I read the same thing about it being poison. i would call the vet asap.
Was it here someone else had gone through this?? Does anyone else remember? I seem to recall a vet visit and one having to be pumped out of the chi's stomach and there was a pic also?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
I tried to copy the post I saw since its the only way I know how. I don't know ho wto post links lol But anyway this was a peach pit....not sure if prune pit is different



It's almost 2am and I just came back from the emergency vet with Bambam. The culprit? At around 11:15pm, bam swallowed a peach pit. i was dumb enough to have left a pit on the nightstand next to my bed wrapped in tissues meant to be thrown out later, and my sister noticed him gnawing on it under the bed and by the time she screamed to me (its impossible for just one person to get him out from under the bed) he ran with it under the table and the pit had disappeared. i was hoping it was left somewhere but after searching frantically for about 10 min it was pretty evident he swallowed it. i researched for about 2 min but i didn't want to risk it and called the emergency vet right away - and they informed me that peach pits were toxic (which i knew) and that we shoud bring him in. well, they gave him a shot which made him vomit it right back up in less than one minute, and gave him another one to counter the nausea. he was sort of traumatized since he probably has no clue why he had to go to the vet (he didnt choke on the pit and was completely fine) btu he is in bed now, sleeping.

this was him right after he got the shots and vomited - we were in the exam room waiting for the doctor to call the poison control center to make sure there werent any more steps to be taken. look how pathetic he looks - he is just so upset that he was at the vet.



aaaand this little gem below, which i got to keep, is what cost me hundreds tonight.


let this be a lesson to all - i am usually very careful about it but i had company during the day and wasn't thinking clearly. don't take any chances when your chi swallows a foreign object, he may seem fine now, but it can kill him later on. the vet stressed this point and told m ehow great it was i brought him in right away. of course there was a moment of hesitation but i knew it was better tobe safe than sorry. also, you can only induce vomiting within 2 hours, so prompt action is necessary. i am just thankful he was able to throw this up right away. that was one expensive peach!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,596 Posts
Yeah i wouldnt take any chances with this.
That would be very hard to pass by itself plus the poison issue too.
Let us know what happens.

Oh i was thinkin plum, i dont know why.
Anyway i would still get advice from the vets to be safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,637 Posts
Yeah i wouldnt take any chances with this.
That would be very hard to pass by itself plus the poison issue too.
Let us know what happens.

Oh i was thinkin plum, i dont know why.
Anyway i would still get advice from the vets to be safe.
She said prune, I said plum as they are the same fruit all stones contain cyanide from what I've read and are poisionous to dogs. I hope he is ok
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for replies. I have rang the emergency vets (vets now I think it's called) and they said to watch that he doesn't vomit as they can't x-ray him to find it anyway?
They seem to think it will pass through but I'm going to watch him to make sure it does.

I said that i've read it can cause renal failure in dogs and they just said to keep an eye on him and bring him in if he deteriorates. I alo said he is very small dog and the pit was about jelly bean sized. I just hope it can passs through. Should I give him an extra meal to make it pass faster or would that make it worse? Arh I should have asked the vets if I should feed him. I've put a little orange juice in his water to make him drink it all. Just want to keep him hydrated :( I feel so worried I just hope the vets are right. We don't have many emergency vets here they are all a chain called vets now.. I wonder if I should get a second opinion?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have rang a vets in Heanor which I used for my rabbit for out of hours emergencies and the receptionist spoke to the vet and he said it's mostly dried fruit to worry about like raisins etc. They said it should pass through . I really hope so. It was only small but I worry about the toxicity in it. He is running around like crazy at the moment but I still can't help but worry :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,412 Posts
if he has not long just eaten it the vet can put some medication in his eye that will make him be sick , someone did tell me what to give a dog to make them throw up but i cannot remember for the life of me what it is , i would most definitely call another vet .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,637 Posts
Totally get another opinion it's a poison risk. You don't want it to pass through you want it out now!!! Ring about I wouldn't be happy til I saw that thing out xxx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've rang another and the lady said it is very serious! And I've got an appt for 4:45 . I just hope he can throw it back up. God i'm so annoyed the other 2 vets didnt think it was
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,441 Posts
Just saw this!!

I was wondering if he could vomit it out. It may have passed out of the stomach by now though. Let us know what the vet says!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,558 Posts
I've rang another and the lady said it is very serious! And I've got an appt for 4:45 . I just hope he can throw it back up. God i'm so annoyed the other 2 vets didnt think it was
good for you for being persistent!
please keep us posted. I hope he is okay.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top