Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm suppose to be hosting a baby shower in less than 2 hours and my puppy chi woke up this morning with her eye swollen bad... now her entire face is swolen and all these bumps are starting to form all over her body. Has this ever happened to anyone's chi before? Oh man do i need help.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Can one of your friends take over hostess duties while you take your pup to the vet? I guess that would be an emergency vet since it's Sunday today.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm waiting for about 30 minutes to pass.... when my hubby gets home from Church. It's going to be a longggg 30 minutes. She can hardly see now. The only different thing I can think of with her is I put frontline plus on her about 3 days ago for the first time... and she got her shots 3 weeks ago. She's scheduled to recieve her booster shots this Wed. I feel really bad for her and i'm in bind.

·
Registered
680 Posts
This happened to one of my chis last Sunday. The vet said mine had an allergic reaction to something. If you have any childrens benadryl give her that. Thats what the vet told me and it helped. Give her 3 cc's of childrens benadryl every 4 hours. It will go away! If you dont have childrens you might wanna call...I know regular benadryl is much stronger.

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
Yep that happened to Poco after he got his shots & the vet said Beandryl too. Please if you're not taking her to the vet watch her very carefully to make sure her airway doesn't swell. If she seems to be having trouble breathing rush her to the vet.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Chloe had an allergic reaction to penicilin and got really red and spotty. She didn't swell but she did get something to counter act the allergy. I hope she's ok and gets to the vets soon! Keep us updated!

Actually Chloe also had an allergic reaction to Advantix. It wasn't the typical symptoms though. She was twitching and couldn't sit still. I stay away from pesticides now. It was weird bc she had used it before and didn't have a problem. Goodluck with your baby!

·
Registered
803 Posts
This is definalty a illergic reaction, mylo had this b4, if you go on search and type in "my poor little mylo", you can see my thread there are piccys on there too of mylos swallon face, see if he looks the same as your chi!! i took mylo to the vet and they gave him a injection that reduced the swelling, it went down eventually, but it sure made him itch his face, he was rubbing around on the carpet, poor little thing.... Hope ur chi gets better soon.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
My poor Bu had an allergic reaction (or something) to his rabies shots of all things. The vet said to give him Benedryl. Fortunately I almost always have that on hand.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone and thanks to momof3chihuahuas for letting me know something so fast! I ran out and bought the benadryl while waiting for hubby and gave it to her. When I got home to give it to her, the swelling was already going down. I gave it to her anyways, all of her swelling went away yesterday and the red blotches finally went away today. She's schedule for her booster shots tomorrow so when I take her into the vet, I'm going to mention this to him anyways. Again, thanks soooo much for the prompt replies! I was scared to death!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sam85 said:
This is definalty a illergic reaction, mylo had this b4, if you go on search and type in "my poor little mylo", you can see my thread there are piccys on there too of mylos swallon face, see if he looks the same as your chi!! i took mylo to the vet and they gave him a injection that reduced the swelling, it went down eventually, but it sure made him itch his face, he was rubbing around on the carpet, poor little thing.... Hope ur chi gets better soon.
Yup that is how she looked...but it was all over her head and her body. She couldn't even see. She was bumping into things. She's only 3lbs, short coat, and fawn-- so the swelling and stuff was quite noticeable. Here's a picture of her now.... back to normal again. :p

·
Registered
680 Posts
She is a doll! Your welcome too ;) I felt so good to tell you! It was just weird cause it happened to my Zoe the last Sunday. I know how you feel...we were freaked out too. Its so scary...cause they look so bad and that makes it worse! Im glad I could help you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well it happened again yesterday! Geesh.. I took her to the vet Wednesday and told the vet all about her incident on Sunday. It took 3 days for the swelling to go away and the red blotches. He said the samething...probably an allergic reaction to something or maybe something bit her. He gave her a shot to counteract it all. Yesterday when hubby and I got back from dinner, one side of her face was swelled up again. I didn't give her anything because I wanted to see if the rest of her body would do the same again. This morning it was gone. Sooo weird... I wish I knew what it was she was doing, or eating that's causing it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts