Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANyone have any ideas? Sturgis was neuterd and now he is nibbling at the wound. is there a way to make one of those collars to keep him from going after it?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
how about cardboard into a cone, I could never put Kemo's on, I just kept telling him NO..... :?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
do you have a bandage or gauze and tape to cover the wound with - if tape wont stick you may have to shave some of his hair but try the bandage - or you could cut the toe out of a sock and roll it down into a doughnut then slip it obver his neck making sure it is not too tight and this may be enough too stop him reaching it - good luck

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i put a bandaid on it but hes going nuts trying to take it off i even put the belly band on him but the wound is too low. I tell him no and he stops but i would have to sit here 24/7 and keep saying no lol its getting red from him nibbling on it i put peroxide on it and bacitracin with antibiotic in it with band aid. I f he would stop licking and nibbling I am sure the redness would go away an it will heal

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Please be careful with the peroxide..it really is hard on tissue. I would not use it at all.....I think I would try making a cone out of heavy paper ( the kind you use in art class ) or put a diaper on him. good luck !

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol ok took belly band lined with card board and strapped around his neck, Hes doing flip flops all over the house lol hope it works!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
they even sell the cones at the pet store or you can ask the vet if you can come get one. i wouldn't put any bandages on top of it or cover it with anything, the area needs to breath and you don't want to trap moisture and dirt or anything.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
When Cooper was neutered, the vet gave me a spray (I can't recall the name) that is both anti-itch and a slight pain relief that you just spray on the area. You might want to ask your vet about it. I wish I could remember what it is called!!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
There is a spray that you can get from your vet or pet store that you spray on to the stitches/surgery site to keep pups from chewing at it. I can't recall the name, though I'm sure your vet or pet store would know what product you are talking about. :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
luv4mygirls said:
they even sell the cones at the pet store or you can ask the vet if you can come get one. i wouldn't put any bandages on top of it or cover it with anything, the area needs to breath and you don't want to trap moisture and dirt or anything.

I got one for Seiah from Petsmart. The one I got for him is supposed to be for when I groom him, but I don't see how it couldn't be used for that.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, all I made a concoction with thin cardboard from a soda box and one of his belly bands its working so far and he hasnt gotten it off. he looks like a car accident victim with whip lash lol. my fiance aksed him this morning if he were going to sue us lol

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
LOL i was just going to mention if you have a belly band around you can use that around the neck and that will keep them from getting at the wound too.
I am suprised the vet did not sent you home with a collar...i know most vets will lend buster collar out or sell them at a fairly cheep price. I am glad you found a solution

1 - 20 of 24 Posts