Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect that one of our cats, Lance, has bladder crystals again. In June of 2011 he started peeing outside the litter box and we took him to the vet for a urinalysis and it was found that he had crystals. They gave us Clavaseptin (50mg) to treat it and also urged us to purchase him the Hill's Prescription Diet C/D food. Desperate and willing to try anything, we did and the problem cleared up quickly.

After a few months on that diet, we switched to Acana Grasslands food and BFF (all flavours rotating). He's done really well since the switch, but a couple of weeks ago I SAW him peeing in our entry way (on carpet... great). We've since switched to ONLY BFF food as I read that moisture is the number one culprit. I buy my pet food from a local store and the BFF food had the lowest amount of fat and ash and the highest amount of moisture so I thought it was a good bet to stick with it.

The issue is continuing and he's not peeing in another area of our house. I'm going to schedule a vet appointment today. I know that if it's crystals again, and I have no doubt that it is, that they'll want me to buy the prescription diet. I might just feed it until the issue is under control and then do another switch but I'm not sure that what we're feeding is right for him. Does anyone with experience with crystals in cats have a suggestion what I should be looking for in food?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I wish I could help, but I am a first time cat owner and so far so good! Our cat UTI last year. I learned that she needs lots of water. She hadn't been drinking much water, she is afraid of Angel and won't come downstairs. Even with her own water dish, she didn't drink it. Well I read somewhere that a stainless steel dish might be preferred by some cats. So I bought a small one. Now she's been drinking the water! I also give her half can of food per day and some dry.

I hope she is better soon!

·
Registered
530 Posts
My cat has the same problem. I have to keep her on a special diet. A friend did not heed her vet's advice and ended up having her cat for emergency surgery that the cat almost didn't make it through. I hope your cat is well soon.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I might just have to bite the bullet and join a cat forum and see what others have to say. I know that after he gets some drugs in him he'll feel much better but I'd like to avoid this happening again. I think we'll definitely be doing just wet food from now on to make sure they get enough water but I will try the stainless steel bowl for them. It think it will be tough finding a food for them that's not super pricey. Feeding those two is WAY more expensive than feeding Odie.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My cat has the same problem. I have to keep her on a special diet. A friend did not heed her vet's advice and ended up having her cat for emergency surgery that the cat almost didn't make it through. I hope your cat is well soon.

Yikes! Yes we were told that Lance was on his way to needing surgery last time. Thankfully it wasn't quite that bad. What special diet do you feed her? The vet was able to squeeze us in tomorrow afternoon and they'll take a urine sample again. I will definitely feed the prescription diet until he's well again but would like to feed him something higher quality for the long term if there's something nutritionally similar as the prescription diet.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I joined catforum.com! I'm already finding such good info on there and will be better prepared to ask questions at the vets tomorrow. I'm so familiar with dogs, cats are another world!

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
Not sure if this will help as I have little expeirance with this in a cat but from what I have heard and read that if you keep them on a wet diet in stead of a dry diet that will help as cats naturally do not drink enough water. Nala hates water so I changed years ago to can with a high moisture content and dry as just an in between snack. I also add a little water to her can food to make it even MORE moist. (Paw Lickin Chicken Weruva)

Now my holistic vet put Sadie (DOG) on Dianthus (chinese herb) to get rid of her crystals.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm a lifetime kitty owner and do kitty rescue - the best thing you can do for your cats is to only feed canned or raw food. Male cats especially have a lot of urinary issues from dry food. Cats shouldn't eat fish flavors either more than 2 times a week. From all my research on kitty food I've learned that even the crappiest wet food like Friskies is better for your cat than the high end dry food.
Check out Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Also most vets I'm sure will recommend a dry prescription food for the issue - ingredients on those are horrible! My mom's male cat had a blockage and crystals (after she didn't listen to me about the wet only) and after his vet stay they tried to push a prescription dry on us. Instead I made my mom switch the entire household of her cats to wet only - 3 kitties - and they are all doing amazing. They all have more energy, have lost extra weight, teeth look better and no urinary issues. One of her cats is 9 and it was a rough change for her, she didn't want to eat the can but if you stick with it they will eventually eat it. They all eat the Trader Joe's canned food - they only one they all love. My cats get a rotation of different brands and flavors every day.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Keep up with the higher moisture food, and get a fountain for them, or let the tap drizzle a bit. Cats don't necessarily hate water, they are just picky about it. They need the water to be fresh and well aerated. My cats will only drink out of the "community water dish" if there is nothing else available. They much prefer my glass.

The location of the water dish can also be a reason for avoidance. Set a couple dishes throughout your house so they have options. You will likely see an amazing improvement in the quantity taken in.

Be very careful with the UTI specialty foods, as being on one too long can flip the pH balance of the urinary tract the other direction, and cause crystals of a secondary type, which are far more dangerous!

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also most vets I'm sure will recommend a dry prescription food for the issue - ingredients on those are horrible! My mom's male cat had a blockage and crystals (after she didn't listen to me about the wet only) and after his vet stay they tried to push a prescription dry on us. Instead I made my mom switch the entire household of her cats to wet only - 3 kitties - and they are all doing amazing. They all have more energy, have lost extra weight, teeth look better and no urinary issues. One of her cats is 9 and it was a rough change for her, she didn't want to eat the can but if you stick with it they will eventually eat it. They all eat the Trader Joe's canned food - they only one they all love. My cats get a rotation of different brands and flavors every day.
Thanks for the info! They actually do eat a mostly wet food diet anyway. The Acana was just sprinkled on the top of the wet food. However, I didn't know about the fish thing! EVERY can of their food right now has fish in it!

Not sure if this will help as I have little expeirance with this in a cat but from what I have heard and read that if you keep them on a wet diet in stead of a dry diet that will help as cats naturally do not drink enough water. Nala hates water so I changed years ago to can with a high moisture content and dry as just an in between snack. I also add a little water to her can food to make it even MORE moist. (Paw Lickin Chicken Weruva)

Now my holistic vet put Sadie (DOG) on Dianthus (chinese herb) to get rid of her crystals.
Thank you. I've read much of the same on the cat forum about moisture. We definitely won't be switching to dry only at any time. It's tough because Lance is a bit of a recluse and is most active during the night so it's hard to say whether he actually drinks from the water dish or not.

Keep up with the higher moisture food, and get a fountain for them, or let the tap drizzle a bit. Cats don't necessarily hate water, they are just picky about it. They need the water to be fresh and well aerated. My cats will only drink out of the "community water dish" if there is nothing else available. They much prefer my glass.

The location of the water dish can also be a reason for avoidance. Set a couple dishes throughout your house so they have options. You will likely see an amazing improvement in the quantity taken in.

Be very careful with the UTI specialty foods, as being on one too long can flip the pH balance of the urinary tract the other direction, and cause crystals of a secondary type, which are far more dangerous!
A fountain is a good idea! I actually tried one once on the floor but pet hair kept getting in it so I stopped using it. I might buy one and put it up higher where the cats get fed.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay so we're back from the vet! Thanks everyone for all the good info and links. Of course the vet didn't tell me any of what I've read, but we did get a urinalysis done which was the most important right now to figure out what's going on. His test did reveal that he had blood, crystals and bacteria in his urine. The vet said that the levels for all were quite low, but we are treating him with Clavaseptin 50mg again (1 1/2 tablets twice a day) because of the bacteria. He will go back in 7-10 days and get retested. The vet I saw isn't Odie's vet and I'm not that familiar with her. She said not to switch the food because she wants to see what happens with the antibiotics and that we could revisit that if necessary after the next test (I feel a recommendation for prescription diet coming).

I'm going to buy a water fountain and am now on the hunt for a good wet food that we can start feeding. The local pet store that we get everyone's food from can order in most brands and also carry a lot of raw food. I won't switch foods until the next test is done but would like to after that because of the high fish content in the food we feed now. Other than the bladder she said that he's a really healthy weight and has a bit of tartar on his teeth but overall looks good.

Here's a pic of him of the scared little guy at the vet:

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
Also if you don't notice he is drinking add a dropper full to his water. Huly ate fish all the time and now he is allergic not sure with all of his issues if too much fish or always had a slight allergy. He loves rabbit chicken and duck

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lance is on his last day of Clavaseptin and is currently at the vets for the day so they can do another urinalysis to check on the levels of bacteria, crystals and blood. Here's hoping that the antibiotics cleared it up! I think that we're going to switch to the prescription diet for the short term and in the meantime I'll continue searching for a higher quality food with simliar qualities.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also if you don't notice he is drinking add a dropper full to his water. Huly ate fish all the time and now he is allergic not sure with all of his issues if too much fish or always had a slight allergy. He loves rabbit chicken and duck
They have been throwing up their food that has fish in it regularly. When I fed Odie the Acana Wild Prairie formula last night BOTH cats were eating it. I think that they know that the wet food is making them sick so we'll be switching today.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thinking good thoughts for Odie's kitty pal :)

Sent from Petguide.com App
Thanks Ashley! Odie welcomed him home by jumping on his face as soon as we opened his kennel. Such a sweet sister.

How are they doing?
We just got home from the vet. I dropped Lance off at 9:40 am and he didn't pee until 4:30 pm. The sample today showed no crystals, but some blood and much higher amounts of bacteria. The vet thought that since there wasn't very much pee that it could be concentrated and she said she doesn't really trust the sample so he's going back next Tuesday and they'll give him sub fluids in the morning and hopefully test some urine near the end of the day and this time will send it off to a lab for more intensive testing.

Poor guy. We decided to just switch to the c/d chicken diet for now while I continue to research foods. This is starting to get expensive! I just want him to get back to normal though.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
We just got home from the vet. I dropped Lance off at 9:40 am and he didn't pee until 4:30 pm. The sample today showed no crystals, but some blood and much higher amounts of bacteria. The vet thought that since there wasn't very much pee that it could be concentrated and she said she doesn't really trust the sample so he's going back next Tuesday and they'll give him sub fluids in the morning and hopefully test some urine near the end of the day and this time will send it off to a lab for more intensive testing.

Poor guy. We decided to just switch to the c/d chicken diet for now while I continue to research foods. This is starting to get expensive! I just want him to get back to normal though.
Oh no! Hopefully the next test has better results ::hugs::

1 - 20 of 40 Posts