Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help! I'll give you a little back story first to see if this has anything to do with anything...

I went away for the weekend and my chi stayed at my parents house. I'm in college, so unless I'm home on the weekend, her true home is my apartment. She is 3.5 months old. I have had her for almost one month. She's been at my parents house several times. So, she knows the house, the smell, my parents my siblings, and everything like that. My parents have two female Labrador Retrievers. Roxy (my chi) has been around them every time she's been to my parents house. She LOVES them. She plays with them all the time.

Well, like I said, I went away for the weekend and left her at home with my family. We went over some rules so that she can stay in the same habits i'm trying to get her in. So, everything should have been the same. She's never been away from me for an entire weekend yet. Well, when I came home today, she looks MUCH skinnier than when I left. My sisters said she hasn't eaten much at all. I tried getting her to eat some scrambled eggs today. She ate a few pieces, but then wouldn't touch them. ALSO, when my Lab's came near her when she was eating, she starting growling and nipping at them! She did this for a good 15 minutes every time they came near her!

So... why is she not eating and why was she being aggressive towards my other dogs, whom she loves? And what do I do?? :(

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
She may not have gotten to eat as much as usual when left there with the labs over the weekend, and the aggression may just be due to that. It would be pretty difficult for a Chi to compete with labs for food!

The aggression could also be due to the 'change' - you left her and now you're back. She may just be reacting to that, and everything may return to normal soon!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Since the aggression started all of a sudden, I'd say she's hurting somewhere. And since she's not eating I wonder if she had a bad tooth?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Dogs are naturally aggressive around each other when it comes to food. While you were away, she was afraid to eat thinking the food belonged to the labs. You need to put the labs in another room or outside while she's eating and tell her it's all right. Stand there with her while she eats. She's afraid and now that you're home and she's starving, she feels comfortable enough to stand her ground and growl at the labs. Don't scold her; just let her know that's her food and you're not going to let the labs get it.

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
growling and nipping at other dogs or people when eating is not good. You need to stop this behavior before it gets worse.

She need to know that this is not ok. Bring the labs and put there food like normal. If she started growling at them. Take the food away but just stand there. When she stops growling and relaxes put it back and praise her. If she started again do the same. tell she gets the point. And she will hopefully.

Just a note: don't carry her or tray to calm her down by talking to her calm lee. She will think this is ok behavior and she will not stop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts