Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I need some ideas on what to do with my chi. Just adopted him, he is more than a year old. But been w me only for a week.

I feed him regularly at 8am, 2pm, and 8pm with the royal canin mini adult around two spoonfuls every meal. She gets water at all times of day. His crate is just the size for him to turn and lie down. After meals i make sure he gets exercise and let him out of the crate.

Unfortunately he doesnt get that he needs to go. Sometimes he goes after more than 8-12 hrs after a meal--when he is already back in his crate after his free time out. His potty time is unpredictable regardless of the regularity of his meals! Worse, when i put him back in after hrs of freedom he usually goes whenever i just turn around for a sec, so i never get to correct him since i never catch him in the act. With peeing he just goes anytime. can be right after a drink and can be hours after a meal. Besides when he does it it just seems to magically appear i guess small breeds poop and pee very fast.

I tried doing the newspaper thing and putting his pee/scent on it but he either tries to rip and tear it apart, or lies down on it to rest. When he is back in his crate he doesnt seem to mind pooping or peeing in it. What can i do about this???

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I would invest in a doggie playpen. Then he can have his little crate/bed, and his food and water dishes on one side, and then you can put down newspapers, pee pads or washable pads on the other side. You will have to start from scratch with house training. Evidently he was kept in a small crate and made to poop and pee in there. You have to change his mind. I like the pen method, as the dog can see you and still be confined. Praise like mad when he does go where you want him to go. Just keep at it, and be consistent.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I agree with Susan. I use play pen too...partly for Abby's safety. She's so little (still not 2lbs at 14 wks). She sleeps in a dog stroller at night right by our bed like a bassinet. I take her out first thing in the morning to potty with the "big" kids. Then breakfast..... then back out to potty... etc. :) we're getting there but I use pads in the playpen and keep one by the back door. It takes time. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Welcome to Chi Ppl :)
I'm not sure why you are feeding 3 times a day at over a year old. And, what size spoon
are you using to measure food? I measure my dogs food on a food scale to be sure I get
the same size meals each time. Tabi is on a diet, so I actually count her kibbles per meal.
Regular meal times and regular meal size should really help regulate a dog--you seem
to be doing both very well. It could just be that you need more time--Or... it could be
that your dog has developed this behavior to hide his stool. I agree with making a change.
Maybe crate training can wait a few months until he is totally comfortable in his
new home. Playpen, or if he is bigger, an x-pen with an available peepad would be great.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I agree I have a play pen and its amazing. I put the bed and wee wee pads while Im gone and don't have to worry. I would use a big bed and maybe leave a small space for the pad. She won't pee where she sleeps and won't have an option. Then you positively reinforce. Good luck!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts