Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my 1 year old Chihuahua is impossssssibleeeee to potty train . I have tried the pee pads , the fake grass , litter training ... everything i could think of . he doesnt try to tell me he has to use the washroom .. i take him out as much as i can but i still have him having accidents .. he is not fixed ... but hes not fixed for a good reason he has liver dysplasia

Hepatoportal microvascular dysplasia (MVD) is a blood vessel abnormality inside the liver that causes shunting (bypass) between the portal vein (the blood vessel that connects the gastrointestinal tract with the liver) and circulation into the system. It may be caused by microscopic lesions on the liver, abnormal development, abnormal positioning, or throttling due to a prominent smooth muscle that prevents blood flow. The lobes of the liver are involved, some severely, others very little. This is suspected when the bile is not doing its work. In short, because of malformations in the blood vessels, the blood is not flowing to the liver as it should.

and due to that i cant get him fixed the vet said it would be very risky ....

i also have a feeding problem with him ....

i only feed proper dog foods no crap from the grocery store.. ive tried more than 10 different types and he doesnt seem to like anything i feed him... he cannot have much protein due to his sickness... any food suggestions would be welcomed .

He did suffer from the loss of his "sister" Bambee at 8 months ... she passed away from internal bleeding in her head .. she was 2.2 pounds and sweet as could be.... i think some eating habbits that Rambow have gained are stress related ... I know Chihuahuas need other Companions but with living situation and can only have the one pup at this time ...

Any suggestions for my little guy would be great !! Thank you !

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
You say you've tried pads, grass, etc. and that you've let him out; but otherwise what efforts have you personally made in supervising him?? The key to potty training isn't just to offer him a place to go; but to supervise and watch him like a hawk until he is reliable. If you've exhausted all other efforts, I would advice trying Tether Training; where you hook up a leash to him on a harness and the other end of the leash to your belt loop. So this basically ensures he is with YOU at all times, while you're doing dishes, watching tv, whatever. He cannot be allowed to have the privilege of any freedom until he has caught on; that's the biggest mistake most people make. They think if they just leave a pad or litter box accessible that the dog will know to use it; and that's not the case. He needs to be with you at all times; or at least where you can watch him. The key is to PREVENT every accident from happening. Once he begins to potty; immediately pick him up and redirect him to the proper location. If you weren't paying attention and he already went, that's the owners fault for not watching him and too late to do anything. It DOES take a lot of diligence in the beginning; but they catch on very quickly this way when you're basically only allowing them to potty in one place. And as you already are doing; take him to his potty area (outside or wherever) frequently, and if he DOES go, praise tons!!! The key truly is to keep constant supervision. Sometimes though, that isn't realistic (like when you go to work, or leave the house to run errands, or at night) and during those times he should be kept in a pen. Make sure to clearly distinguish one side as his bed with toys, chewies, blankets, etc. and the OTHER side just for a potty pad or patch. (See pic below, this is how ours looks.)

The dogs natural aversion to soiling it's own bed will cause it to use the opposite side when it has to go potty. It also reinforces the substrate preference to use whatever medium you chose; so that as long as the same thing is available otherwise he should eventually learn to seek it out.
Also, since he has to remain intact if he is also MARKING (instead of just relieving himself) investing in a belly band will be your best bet! They are just pieces of fabric with velcro on one side; you put a feminine pad in the inside to absorb and it wraps around the dogs belly & penis. So when he lifts his leg to mark, it doesn't get on your furniture or whatever. =)
Welcome to the forum, take a look around and you'll find lots more tips and suggestions. Oh and we loooove pictures here. ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts