Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh...Oakley's cast started to move down on her leg last night and by tonight it had moved down a good inch or so, so I got her to the vet, not wanting circulation to be messed up, and the top of it was pressing pretty hard on the stitches and she was shaking in pain :-/ so they cut off the cast but then they said they really couldn't do another properly without sedating her and didn't feel that was the best option 3 days after general anesthesia...

So they left it open and she immediately went to town on the stitches and I haven't been able to get her top stop, she can get at them with a hard cone on, so, that doesn't really help at all. And I really prefer not to use a cone anyway.

I decided to try to bandage it myself but 1) she wouldn't straighten the leg out, she's been holding it up since she got the cast off, and 2) I did a crap job. I put a small gauze pad over the stitches with surgical tape and then wrapped it loosely with a self adhesive ace bandage but TBH it doesn't seem ideal, she's had her foot on her head since I did it :( So we are going to take that off but I want it covered somehow so she can't get at it, ...

Suggestions?:foxes15:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Do you have any pajamas for her? The kind that's like a bodysuit with the legs? If so you could put that on her and maybe wrap an ace wrap loosely around her mid section to keep it on. (Brody has some that he can just walk right out of.)

What about a sock? Pull it on over her foot and up to her thigh and then maybe wrap some vet wrap around it? It could just slide down though like the cast did. Hmmm..... I'll keep thinking .......

Last resort - a basket type muzzle or similar so that she can open her mouth/pant but can't lick.

I think I would just cone her, even though not ideal.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have any pajamas for her? The kind that's like a bodysuit with the legs? If so you could put that on her and maybe wrap an ace wrap loosely around her mid section to keep it on. (Brody has some that he can just walk right out of.)

What about a sock? Pull it on over her foot and up to her thigh and then maybe wrap some vet wrap around it? It could just slide down though like the cast did. Hmmm..... I'll keep thinking .......

Last resort - a basket type muzzle or similar so that she can open her mouth/pant but can't lick.

I think I would just cone her, even though not ideal.
The cone doesn't keep her from her knee though, she can still get at the bottom half :( I left her for 10 min like that thinking she couldn't get to it and came back to find her licking at it furiously :(

The pajama idea might work, I don't have any but I think I saw some in her size at the pet store near me so I may swing by tomorrow but gotta figure out what to do for now. I put some bitter apple around it and that didn't help either.

The way I wrapped her knee its staying on but I'm a little worried of damaging her knee by keeping it bent like it is, not extended like it was in the cast. So IDK. :-/ I don't know why the vet didn't re-wrap it but I guess they don't normally wrap LP incisions...so ugh.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I don't think you could damage her knee repair unless you really bent it funny and wrapped it firmly. (Which I know you wouldn't do). If you have some sort of covering on it and it's staying for now, I'd use a bitter spray and really spray all over the dressing to see if she will leave it alone.

Does she have any pain medicine you can give? It might work to keep her sleepy so that she doesn't bother it.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's drugged up to high heavens but she knows there's an owwie and she is not pleased she can't get to it...

She's getting metacam 1x / day and buprenex 2x / day, also is on an antibiotic...

Here's her leg atm...

Its really not tight at all but I'm not sure its OK for her knee to be like that if the had it straight before.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I think it looks fine, Kristi. :) Poor little Oakley, this needs to hurry up and be over with for her sake as well as yours.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
:( I wish I had some good advice, but Tracy mentioned everything I was thinking. Is it okay that she is bending it? What did they say at the Vet about that? I think I'd use the PJ's. That will be the most comfy.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Poor little girl. If you must they do make a collar called the 'bite not' where they can't bend their neck backwards. BiteNot Collars If she can still get to the knee wearing the cone, the cone is the wrong size, it should extend past their noses. Just keep it wrapped the best you can, just make sure not to get it too tight.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Im thinking it must be ok for her to have her leg bent...didnt they only put the cast on because she was bouncing around to keep her quiet and limit her mobility? It wasnt to keep it straight was it?
Love Laurel skulking around in the background of that pic :)

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Poor Oakley. I feel so sorry for her. I think what Tracy said about the pj's is your best bet, but for now I would do a gauze wrap. I think the cone might be to big like Heather said. If you call an emergency vet that's open they could sell you one tonight. We had to do that for our cat when she wouldn't leave her stitches alone.
I hope someone gives you some ideas.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She has the smallest size cone made, and its too big :-/ I like the look of the bite-not but no clue where I'll find one. Maybe I will try to make one. For now the loose ace wrap iskeeping her away from it.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
What about putting socks on both legs then kind of 'suspender' type things to hold them together? Like the little clippies you can use if your shirts too big or your dress needs 'gathering'? Does that make sense?

Also you could try giving her some benadryl as the stitches are probably starting to itch, and putting either benadryl ointment on there or hydrocortisone. I had to put some Hydrocortisone on Zoeys after her surgery to help with the itchiness.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts