Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I'm no expert so I can't really say. I was told my Mr. Peepers was a pure bred but he keeps growing and growing. The vet says he could be pure but his mother could have been bred numerous times, losing the quality ( I believe that's how he said it).

Pixy is really cute but I know how you feel. You feel like you got taken. I can't stand how people can purposely let people think they are buying a certain type of dog when they aren't. One of the main reasons I wanted a chi was because of their size. I live in an apartment and didn't want a dog over 6-7 pounds. So now Mr. Peepers is 11 pounds!

I don't want to be nosey but can I ask how much you paid for her?

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I was also going to ask you if you've spoke to the breeder? When I had a doubt I called mine and asked her. She sorta had an attitude like, how dare you ask me that. Did you go to your breeder's house to get Pixy or meet her somewhere? Did you see Pixy's parents?

Just know that our first chi's are a learning experience for us. We know what to do and what not to do the second time around. :wink:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I paid about $600 for her. The breeder lived very far so we met him half way. I didn't see her parents. I havn't called the guy since I got her. I know I didn't do it the right way (look at parents, etc) but it's too late now. I will ask the vet next time I go to give me his opinion also. :?

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
It might be just cos her ears are not up yet and her fur a little sparce, it can take up to 3 years for a long coat chi to get its full coat.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:eek: I was gonna ask you if she was a Yorkie mix mainly because of her hair and now that you've raised the question I would think that if she is a purebred find out if there are any smooth coats in her family tree :D my Stinky has funny hair too and his parents were 100% chi but one was a smooth coat and the other one long. Pixy's ADORABLE! hope this helps.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
vala444 said:
:eek: I was gonna ask you if she was a Yorkie mix mainly because of her hair and now that you've raised the question I would think that if she is a purebred find out if there are any smooth coats in her family tree :D my Stinky has funny hair too and his parents were 100% chi but one was a smooth coat and the other one long. Pixy's ADORABLE! hope this helps.
I thought about Stinky too. He's got the cutest hairs :) . Maybe as she gets older she'll grown into it.

If you have the breeder information you might want to call, just to talk about it. I don't know if they'd be offended or not but if it's something you are questioning, it's worth the call. :)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Thats so hard to tell...my guess is that she has Yorkie in her, but you never know. I have seen Yorkie/Chi pups and they have that wild hair, but thats not to say that some pure-bred dogs dont.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I was also wondering about yorkie, but only because of the hair on the nose area. Either way she is so cute!! I can understand that finding out that she might not be a purebred would upset you, afterall you paid good money to someone who lied to you. Hopefully this is not that case, and you have a cute little girl with lots of hair.

MD

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I would say a mix with a terrier of some sort as her hair seems quite coarse where long haired chis is very very soft usually softer than a smooth haired - her face looks all chi and she is so cute - I would definately speak to the breeder :wave:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Pixy is sure a cutie, but I think she might be a mix. The long coated chis that I have seen do not have long hairs around the lower leg and foot area.
But, in reality, who cares when she is soooo cute. :wink:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Her ears are standing up now so she looks more like a real chi. I think I will be able to tell more when she gets a little older. I went to the vet and forgot to ask him about that. I will have to remember to ask him next time I go. It was so funny at the vet. She was barking like crazy at all the big dogs! :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts