Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor was driving down our street and saw a pit bull that also lives in the neighborhood attacking a small dog. The little dog got away but was hurt.
Now I'm afraid to take Chili for our normanl walks around our neighborhood.
We have a leash law in the city limits but the dogs get out of their fences and roam around. There are atleast 8 big dogs around here and they all bark at us on our walks but so far have stayed in their fences. Any ideas on how to protect myself and Chili on our walks?
I thought about pepper spray But that could get all of us if the wind is right.
Help!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I really don't know what kind of trouble you could get in for this, but speaking for myself--If I were in your position (and there is one dog in my neighborhood that makes me uneasy, so I get it) I would carry a baseball bat or some such stick on walks with me. Others may disagree, but to my mind it is all about walking my dog that I am responsible for her safety, and if I have to use a big stick or bat against a big dog to keep her from danger then so be it.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I can remember when I was young, (a long time ago ! Lol) there used to be a dog officer that would drive around and pick up stray dogs. Maybe there is someone you can report them to. It's not fair for ones like us to have to put up with it.

When it comes to that type of situation I have become a wimp! I just drive to a park or something and walk! But that's probably because I live close to one - like 2 miles!

I hope someone on here can give you advice!

·
Registered
311 Posts
It's very very difficult to stop a large dog from getting a little dog (cat, child, delivery man, large dog, etc.) once their mind is set to do so...

A Club, gun, spray (which you are right if the wind is wrong you are all toast and angry dog just keeps on keeping on through it), stick, cast iron skillet, etc. even a stun gun would be difficult to engage before damage was done. When its going down, the moment you notice it, you're going to go nuts internally and probably will not be able to function. The dog on the other hand can most likely withstand the blow and continue on with his mission.

The safest thing really is not to temp fate in light of the most recent attack. I would allow things to settle before resuming normal routine with Chili. And if large animals are roaming and mauling ~ your routine/route although convenient might not be safe.

I would also look into contacting animal control and seeing if you have an officer that could assist. The large dog isn't doing what he is doing to be spiteful, it's not personal. So calling AC is justified and will be the best thing for everyone involved.

A lot of people think I'll carry this club and stop anything from happening. It simply doesn't happen that way. Dogs can actually take multiple bullets at close range and continue to damage their target. By the time you are aware of what is in the process of happening, most times, it's too late for you or your club to change anything.

Getting the authorities involved could get the situation changed and make the streets safe for all and ensure all the large animals roaming are safe as well. Obviously if you know / are aware of where these large animals live, if you feel safe doing so contact the owners and deal with them directly. They could be unaware dogs are getting out. They work and their kids are a bit careless, there is a hole in their fence they were unaware of, dog is jumping fence & they didn't think he could, paper delivery boy isn't shutting gate properly when leaving paper, etc. There could be several situations where if the owner is made aware they apologize & resolve and life goes on safely for all. If that isn't possible you will need to call Animal Control and get someone to tell you the proper channels to follow to resolve the situation.

Just please don't have false security in a club, spray, stun gun etc. The very best and most surest means of protection for you and Chili is to remove yourself from the route where the dogs roam. Anything short of that while they are roaming and mauling opens the door just enough to allow something tragic to happen.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
DKT113, thank you for that reply. In my mind I was thinking I would see a big dog coming and be prepared, but most likely not and then what a nightmare--my precious pet suffers. Also, I had no idea what dog can withstand and continue to attack. I know they are only doing what comes instinctual, but you are right better to walk your dog in another area and let authorities deal with things. I usually always err on the side of total and complete caution and avoidance--where was my head?! lol

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for the advise. I do know whom owns the dog. Today their fence looks like they tried to block of the holes where the dog got out but I dont trust the repairs they have made. I think I will Call AC and make them aware of the attack and ask if the could patrol the neighborhood periodically. maybe if people see the dog catcher around they will be more careful of their dogs getting loose. In the meantime I will go to the park or have my husband walk with me. The dog that attacked the little one did stop when my neighbor got out of his car so it is afraid of getting in trouble.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would contact animal control. You're right, maybe if the owners see them they'll get their act together. I would take pictures of the fence that looks like it came apart, and if you see the dog at all take pictures also... then god forbid there is any sort of incident you have proof that it was not a one time thing. It's sad that people can't take care of their big dogs.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Personally I'm going to carry my dogs bag/carrier incase of a attack I can stuff him in there and protect him somewhat.

I have a member of family who has a pitbull and he always walks with a stick to fend off dogs as too many have gone for his dog in the past.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is a great tip -- sometimes a little space is all the dog (and usually you!) need to take a moment and calmly and quickly pick up your small dog. I know by the time I get my chi, Yoko, off the ground when she's scared and bucking at her leash to escape from an overzealous large dog, I am finally able to calm down very quickly; that means so does Yoko and so does the strange, unleashed dog as well. :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
You definitely want to get Animal Control or local community security involved ASAP. An additional danger, and I speak as a senior citizen who is no longer fleet of foot, is that I would instinctively pick up my dog and hold on to him. That would make me the target of that large dog. Of course, that does mean that the owner of the large dog has a much greater legal exposure should I become injured. Regrettably, a dog is simply property, and the damages are quite limited in a court of law.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.