Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im re training Fiddle as she was never really crate trained.

I went to bed and 930 and set two alarms,

one for midnight and one for 6am.

BOTH times I got up, she has already 1'ed and 2'ed in the crate?

What can I do?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
How big is the crate? If there's ANY room for her to pee or poop in one corner, and sleep in the other, the crate's too big. The idea behind crate training is that dogs have a natural aversion to messing in their "den", where they sleep, and crate training builds on that aversion. But if the crate's big enough that they can consider just one corner of it their "den" then you can't effectively use that instinct to your advantage.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How big is the crate? If there's ANY room for her to pee or poop in one corner, and sleep in the other, the crate's too big. The idea behind crate training is that dogs have a natural aversion to messing in their "den", where they sleep, and crate training builds on that aversion. But if the crate's big enough that they can consider just one corner of it their "den" then you can't effectively use that instinct to your advantage.
When I first got her that was what she was doing so last night I put a big cushion in one corner. When I did get up, she had pulled it down and was on top of it, and the 'business' was on the blanket.

So then I put this big teddy bear she couldnt pull down in there, and she still went.

when i got her out this morn, i only saw it when i picked her up, it was pretty close to where she was sleeping. I was a little shocked how close it was to her, hence, why I am askin for help lol

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
*bump* :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Can you get a divider for her crate?? Or get a smaller crate she should be able to go through the night now unless she's got an upset stomach?? Lift water at 7pm and don't feed her any later than 7 either make sure she has plenty of time to pee and poo before bed and confine her in a tiny space seriously they have hardly anyroom I used boxes and cushions to make my girls smaller as I didn't have a divider!!

If she only has little room she will bark or whine to get out to go open the door and pick her up and carry her to where she goes to the toilet it sounds stupid but I use to carry my girls so the first thing they felt was grass and they immediately squatted and house broke in 2 weeks with lotus and about 4 with daisy but she was only 8 weeks when I got her

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you get a divider for her crate?? Or get a smaller crate she should be able to go through the night now unless she's got an upset stomach?? Lift water at 7pm and don't feed her any later than 7 either make sure she has plenty of time to pee and poo before bed and confine her in a tiny space seriously they have hardly anyroom I used boxes and cushions to make my girls smaller as I didn't have a divider!!

If she only has little room she will bark or whine to get out to go open the door and pick her up and carry her to where she goes to the toilet it sounds stupid but I use to carry my girls so the first thing they felt was grass and they immediately squatted and house broke in 2 weeks with lotus and about 4 with daisy but she was only 8 weeks when I got her
OK!

So (Fiddle was desexed yesterday) and I had the crate right next to my bed, and I hear her whimper to go out. which is good! except because of the stiched I cant pick her up, and I wasnt going to make her walk up nd down stairs. so i just took her to the temporary spot in my room.

am I just confusing her this way?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
OK!

So (Fiddle was desexed yesterday) and I had the crate right next to my bed, and I hear her whimper to go out. which is good! except because of the stiched I cant pick her up, and I wasnt going to make her walk up nd down stairs. so i just took her to the temporary spot in my room.

am I just confusing her this way?
I carried Oakley around when she was stitched up from her spay Fiddle will be fine :) Bryco was my hardest to crate train. I literally bought the smallest size cat crate available and shoved blankets all the way back in more than half of it. AND HE FINALLY stopped going in his crate. Now he has his whole crate and does fine, but it took awhile

She might be a little off too b'c she was just spayed, ya know?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I picked daisy up when she was spayed too just have one hand on her chest one on her bum!!! Try put her in one spot only so she knows that is her bathroom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts