Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I left Tiny in my room because I went to clean the bathroom and to take a shower. Came back in the room and she's eating my white rabbit candy!!!! (its a asian candy) I dont know how many she ate but she ate all of them, the bag was empty and i think she ate most of the wrapper too! I had left it on my desk and I guess she jumped from my bed onto my desk (ninja style) and some how dragged the bag to the door. Do you guys think anything will happen? its been 1 hr now and she seems fine. please give me any suggestions, advice, and or share a similar incident. Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its made of liquid maltose, white granulated sugar, sweetened condensed milk, whole milk powder, butter, gelatin, vanillin, and rice paper which is the wrapping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
I would at least call the ER vet they will give you symptoms, alsoo be ready for a sleepness night, you need to stay up tp make sure she is okay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts
I have heard that its actual "baking" chocolate that's harmful for them. I guess cause its so concentrated. Hope she is ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
TBH its mostly made of sugar and milk derivates so i dont think itll be bad for her, maybe she ate too much and wiill get a tummy ache, me sure she drinks water, or give her ice to lick if she doesnt drinks
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,704 Posts
She should be fine if she did not eat too much, however the wrappers could get
stuck in her digestive system. I do think you should follow the advice of keeping
an eye on her for symptoms of lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Contact you
vet in the morning to see what he/she says. Hopefully all will be ok.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,989 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts
I do feel she'll pull through okay; maybe a little upset stomach. If you aren't ready to take her to the Emergency Vet yet; perhaps where you're at there's a 24 hour Pet Poison Hotline you can call?? We have one here, and they do charge per call but you can talk with a licensed vet. They can't give actual medical advice or diagnosis; but they can tell you the level of toxicity and whether it's something that should be allowed to pass through or induce vomiting (but at this point it may be too late for that.) If she's okay now I'd just keep monitoring her. =) Let us know how she does! =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,441 Posts
How is she this morning? I bet she will be fine, but you may have some loose stools for awhile until it all processes.

For future reference, you could have induced vomiting if you were sure she'd eaten it very recently. Just purge it out of her system. That's probably what they would have done at the ER vet. You can use hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting and then stand back while she gets it all back up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,403 Posts
I just saw this...but if you have an oportunist --like I have here--keep hydrogen peroxide and a syring handy...
I'd love to know how hse is today. If you have a bath tub that is a good place to indice vomitting...that way you can really see that "all has come up' and exactly what the pup ate. It is also easy to clean up.
How is she this morning? I bet she will be fine, but you may have some loose stools for awhile until it all processes.

For future reference, you could have induced vomiting if you were sure she'd eaten it very recently. Just purge it out of her system. That's probably what they would have done at the ER vet. You can use hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting and then stand back while she gets it all back up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,441 Posts
Just so we know for the future, how hydrogen peroxide do you use?
One teaspoon per 10 pounds. So not very much. It's easiest if you have a syringe that you can dribble into the mouth. This should only be used in case of emergency. And you understand the risks versus benefit. It's always best to go by your vets recommendation.

The hydrogen peroxide just foams up in the stomach and causes them to vomit, it's safe and effective. But again, if you are unsure or it's been more than an hour since they ingested the substance - consult your vet.

Rubias tip of doing it in the bathtub is an excellent suggestion!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
An alternative to peroxide is dry salt. It is, IMO/IME more convenient and easier, and safer. I have salt around all the time (sea salt) but never have peroxide. If you use peroxide, be aware it turns into plain water over time, so you have to keep freshening the supply.

If you want to use salt: The key is to use ENOUGH (err on the side of too much, not too little) and within a few seconds, up it'll all come.

Some fears of salt and kidney damage circulate on the internet, but these people are not doing it properly - either they use salt WATER or use "a little" salt because they're afraid to do too much, and then the dog doesn't vomit and has salt in the system for 30+ minutes.

The salt (and whatever else is in the tummy) should come up in under 15 seconds. If it doesn't, you didn't use enough! Use more, immediately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,652 Posts
I'd have made her vomit myself as well. I've done this before with pups who've eaten chocolate cake left around by my lovely daughter. Also when I've had one swallow a rock. I hate making them feel terrible but better safe than sorry.

I hope she is ok this morning. I don't think the ingredient of the candy will make her sick (other than loose stools) but I'd be more concerned about the wrappers. One or two probably is no big deal but you get a wad of them & it could cause a blockage. Keep an eye on her for the next few days. Hopefully she passes them all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I hope everything works out!

If it's the candy I am thinking of (I used to eat asian candy all the time) the wrapper is edible & it disintegrates quite quickly once put in the mouth. I forget if that too is wrapped in another wrapper though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,186 Posts
One teaspoon per 10 pounds. So not very much. It's easiest if you have a syringe that you can dribble into the mouth. This should only be used in case of emergency. And you understand the risks versus benefit. It's always best to go by your vets recommendation.

The hydrogen peroxide just foams up in the stomach and causes them to vomit, it's safe and effective. But again, if you are unsure or it's been more than an hour since they ingested the substance - consult your vet.

Rubias tip of doing it in the bathtub is an excellent suggestion!
Thanks. I am glad you could figure out what I was asking. It makes me so mad when I read back my post and I leave out words but for some crazy reason I keep doing it-think my brain works faster than my fingers.lol
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top