Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought home my new pup and she is cute as a button but she has FLEAS! Its 9pm here and no stores or vets are open! I dont know what to do! I am keeping bella away for the time being so she doesnt get any. i need some help as what to do for the time being cuz i dont want those damn things all over my house!!! HELP!!!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
The only thing you can do is wait until morning and schedule a vet appointment, that way they can make sure your new pups overall health has not been affected by the fleas and give you a flea treatment, normally frontline and they will tell you a special dose to use to get rid of them...as far as your house goes...I know a trick....

Take a white sheet, it has to be white, and drag it slowly across the floor. If you start to notice that the sheet picks up little black dots, those are fleas. (they are attracted to white). Do this test all over your house and furnature. If you notice a lot you will have to have someone come and kill them. I know this only because when I was younger my aunt moved into our house with her two dogs and they were infested. We were told this trick by the vet and we found we had a LOT of fleas. We had to have an exterminator come to the house.

Again, take her in tomorrow....fleas can be harmful to puppies if they have been infested for a while. You can ask the vet what to do about your house..maybe there is something else you can do. ALso you will want to take bella with you so they can check her...i am sure they will want her to have flea treatment also.

Best of luck! Please let us know how it goes!

PS - maybe a bath will make her feel better until u can get to the vet.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh my god, i think i almost died. The poor baby was just infested with them. All over her neck and all these scabs. I got her from the same breeder i got bella from and bella is absolutely perfect. I ran to albertsons and grabbed some puppy flee shampoo and bathed her. I got all the scabs off and the fleas too and wrapped her in a warm blanket. I am going to call the vet as soon as they open and get her in there (plus bella is also due for her bordatella shot tomorrow) I also bathed bella just to be careful. Luckily the new pup hadnt been on the carpet or anything yet, just in the kitchen in her bed. So i am not too worried, i am going to wash the bed right now and hopefully all will be ok. the poor baby just got home and already had a bath. she was shaking and crying like crazy but after i wrapped her in a warm towel she fell asleep. She looks a lot better now and i bet she feels 100% better without those stupid fleas all over her. Thanks for the quick response i really appreciate it! :wave:

Oh and i forgot to tell you guys about my new baby! She is a dobie marked female and she is the tiniest little thing i have ever seen! I thought bella was small but wow this baby is soooo little. She can fit in just one of my hands!!! SUch a sweetheart too, very shy but i have only had her a couple of hours! and plus she was infested with fleas so i dont know how good of a mood she could have been in!

·
Registered
175 Posts
That's horrible!! I sure hope you'll call the breeder tomorrow as well, he/she should know what to be doing to prevent such a thing and I would ask for the vet bill to be paid!
Poor little baby, let us know how she does!!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
WOW that is bad, poor poor baby. I would have suggested a bath too and hopefully they did not get on you and get somewhere else in the house.....I HATE THEM TOO :evil: :x

Keep us posted and pics!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never heard anything about mayo but just an update. They baby slept well, and then about midnight got up and played with bella for the first time. It was so precious! She is so funny,then went to sleep for a couple more hours and woke up and had to play some more. I let both of them sleep in the kitchen whereever they wanted (crate, bed or floor). The puppy (i still havent figured out a name!) had a big poopie last night, and it was the funniest thing. She squated and when it actually came out her back legs lifted off the floor and she was doing a hand stand! It was hilarious!!! Right now she is crying at the water bowl lol! She ate very well, she finished her food and went straight for bellas! I think she feels a lot better today, she is so playful! Bella hasnt really figured out what to do with her but she is having a great time playing with her. Thanks again everyone! :wave:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So bella and the new pup went to the vet this morning and everything went well. Everyone in the waiting room just loved bella and kept complimenting on how beautiful she was. So we went in and the new baby got her temp taken (normal), and got a physical check (good). Then the poor thing had diahrea on the table :( . So he gave her some medicine for that, dewormed her and said everything looks ok, she should be just fine from the fleas. He said i did a great job bathing her and getting all the fleas off her. He said make sure u give her some honey if she starts getting lethargic but she is so playful i think she is just fine. Bella got her bordatella and she cried again. But she is doing great! After we got home i gave the pup some medicine which she hated, some nutrical which she hated too oddly enough and some lunch. She didnt eat it but neither did bella. I dont think they are hungry yet cuz i fed them breakfast late this morning and its still to early for lunch. They are both sleeping now so i just wanted to let everyone know everything is going good! Oh if you havent seen them yet ill post pics... here ya go!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
What a little sweetheart...glad she got a clean bill of health from the vet.

I would definitely let the breeder know she was infested with fleas, so she can check her other puppies. Although I don't know how she could not have been aware of the fleas before you picked up your puppy.

I would suggest you keep a close eye on her for a few weeks. If she was heavily infested with fleas, chances are there will be some flea eggs that will hatch out, plus it's difficult to get every flea with just one shampoo. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so now i just got home from the gym and bella and the new baby were sleeping together in the bed so i looked in the crate the puppy had been sleeping in before and it look like one of them had thrown up. It looked just like the wellness food i fed them earlier so it was hard to tell if it was food or vomit. Bella had a bordatella shot so i thought it coulda been from her but she doesnt like going in the crate at all so i think it was the baby... I dont know why she threw up, i am thinking it is either from the deworming medicine or the diahrea medicine... anyone know why she may have thrown up?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
ummm

my lab puppy threw up when we first got him.. it might be just new food.. different from what she was being fed.. overheated,, the summer can make chis sick from the heat, maybe just a little nervous.. i don't think it's anything to be worried about but if it keeps happening and she walks like she's drunk or starts beign lazy give her some nutrical or bring her to the vet she may have hypoglecimia

1 - 13 of 13 Posts