Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help I need to give Toby his Benadryl. I bought liquid. I am suppossed to give him 12.5 gm. What is that in ml? Can eveyone help me?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi bkbunny...hope I'm not too late.
When talking about liquid measurements grams and milliliters are equivalent. SO basically
1gm=1ml or in your case 12.5gm is the same as 12.5ml in your syringe.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tiffiny Well I gave him 12.5 ml. Then read on the label. It says that there are 12.5 ml in 5 mg of drug. So what I actually gave him 2 1/2 times what was called for. So I call the 24 hour vet and told them what I had done. They wanted me to bring him to to make him vomit. But that I could also just watch him. The vet wasn't too worried. She said he will just sleep really well. Worst case he will have siezures. But that after 1 1/2 hours he should have already had them if he were going to. So a word of caution READ THE LABEL. I feel sooo stupid. Here we do everyrhing we can to help and love are babies and I go and over dose mine. I will call his vet in the morning and let them know what I did. Thank you Tiffiny for you reply. If I would have read the label this all would have been avoided.

·
Registered
106 Posts
actually, benadryl is one of those drugs that dogs actually take higher doses per pound than humans do. Benadryl is pretty safe, one of the oldest, most trusted drugs out there for any animal. It is fast acting, so watching is probably the best bet. He'll be drowsy and probably sleep, but he should be fine. I hope you bought children's liquid, though. the regular stuff has alcohol in it

For future reference:

Conversion Table for Weights & Measurements
Benadryl for Dogs ? The FACTS

·
Registered
70 Posts
OMG what the hell......the conversion gm and ml are the same. One is a mass and one a volume...its a unit used to convert water base on weight. Ive never heard of any liquid not conventing the same way, and although water is the only liquid that converts absolute 1:1 all other liquids are only off by millidrops. Something is seriously wrong with that. I just re read your post and what you asked for was grams (gm) to milliliters not milligrams (mg) to millileters.

Is he going to be ok? How is he doing right now?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi hope toby had a good nap and woke up very happy and playful thank yall for the tip i was in question also

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Hi Tiffiny Well I gave him 12.5 ml. Then read on the label. It says that there are 12.5 ml in 5 mg of drug. So what I actually gave him 2 1/2 times what was called for. So I call the 24 hour vet and told them what I had done. They wanted me to bring him to to make him vomit. But that I could also just watch him. The vet wasn't too worried. She said he will just sleep really well. Worst case he will have siezures. But that after 1 1/2 hours he should have already had them if he were going to. So a word of caution READ THE LABEL. I feel sooo stupid. Here we do everyrhing we can to help and love are babies and I go and over dose mine. I will call his vet in the morning and let them know what I did. Thank you Tiffiny for you reply. If I would have read the label this all would have been avoided.
Don't feel bad. This was a well-learned lesson that when in doubt & you can't get immediate help, start out with a small dose; you can always give more later. I think everyone's done stupid things at one time or other & I know I have especially. I'm glad everything turned out o.k. for Toby.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
what is Benadryl given to a chi for?
I have to give my chi Benedryl for allergies to each her constant scratching. You can give it for bee stings, bug bites or any kind of allergic reactions to anything. I don't know what I do if my chi couldn't take it to ease her misery & I always keep it with me for emergencies.

·
Registered
46 Posts
a pharmacist to the rescue:

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) in the liquid form in the USA is 12.5 mg per 5ml

5ml (milliliters) = 1 teaspoonful also 5ml = 5cc

Note that it is 12.5 mg (milligrams) and not 12.5 gm (grams)

With many medications (not all), dogs use higher doses than humans.

For Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 12.5 mg is a dose that we would use
for a child from 6-12 years of age

mrfiero rph.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Also depending upon how dense a liquid is (specific gravity) 1 ml (millileter) weighs 1 gm (gram) so that 12.5 ml dose given wieghs 12.5 gm (grams) but in that 12.5 grams (12.5ml) there would have been 31.25 mg of benadryl

An adult human normally would take 25 to 50 mg of benadryl per dose.

Usually in adults we double the dose for the first dose, then use the recommend dose thereafter until the symptoms resolve.

I don't think the dose given will be an issue, but I am not a vet.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
The standard dosage for dogs is 1mg (milligram) per pound every 8 hours. If you buy the regular tablets, they come in 25mg strength, so obviously that would be hard to divide up for a 5 pound dog. But if that's all you had on hand, you would give a little less than 1/4 of a tablet to a 5 pound dog that was having a reaction.

The children's liquid benadryl is half strength. So it is 12.5mg per teaspoon. So a 5 pound dog would get 5mg, which is a little less than half of a teaspoon. If you have a syringe, it will be marked in milliliters (mm's). 5ml equals ONE teaspoon. So you want to give 2.4ml. (That is approximately half a teaspoon.)

To be completely accurate, try to dose liquids using syringes, as they are much more accurate than the average teaspoon in your silverware drawer. Or you can measure your teaspoon with a syringe and make sure that 5ml = 1 teaspoon.

I also want to point out that benadryl is very safe and has a pretty wide margin of error. So if you don't dose your dog "exactly" 1mg per pound, they are not going to have any ill effects. Some vets will even go up to 2mg per pound on a dog that is having a bad reaction. So don't stress if you don't get the dosage measured exactly to the tenth of a millimeter.

How is he this morning?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi everyone. Toby is doing great this morning. All night though he licked his foot. I know I got all the stinger out. But he licked untill I thought he would lick the hair off.LOL I did give him baby Benadryl. But I am going to buy the baby tablets today just to have on hand. They sound much easier to break and give the right dose. Thank all of you for your insurances with Toby. It was a tough night. I stayed up till 4:00am just to watch him breath. But today spuncky as ever. Lesson learned. LOL

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Glad he is doing well. :)
For future reference, when you need to know a conversion, I'd search for a conversion utility on the web instead of posting here and waiting for a reply.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Kimberly I did search the internet for a conversion. But I got even more confused. I went through , not kidding here, 10 differant sites and I could not find it. Hubby even tried. That is why all the confusion. But like I said if I would have just read the box the drug came in I would have given the proper amount. I felt real stupid not doing the abovious. But like I said lesson learned. Again thanks to everyone for their help.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You will know for next time. I tell people to get some children's benadryl and to write the dosage for their pets in sharpie on the bottle so they have it in case of emergency. It's hard to think straight when your dog is having a reaction! I'm glad your boy is OK. :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
OMG when I was trying to figure out the dosing for Zoey (4#) it took me forever to convert and try to figure it out. She got about 1.5cc twice a day which was about 4mg (I think lol) it was tough! However in allergic reactions you can give a higher dose (double) than the normal without problems.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I like Tracy's suggestion about writing the dose on the bottle with a sharpie. My vet used to give me a syringe and mark that as well....especially helpful new patients ;)

Off topic a bit but I also marked a hydrogen peroxide bottle and syringe in case a pet sitter ever had to induce vommiting while Rico was being minded.

I think marking the bottles and syringes is a good idea.

·
Registered
70 Posts
OH THANK GOD!!!!
I'm Sooooo sorry for putting you through that, I cant begin to imagine how scary it was :(
Im so glad Toby is doing better today.

Have you guys every seen the pet epi pens? I've never used one but know other people who have. They seem to work really well (the same as with people I suppose). I've heard others say having one on hand is good when you have a dog whos prone to sever allergic reactions. Im not sure if they are something you can just buy or if you have to get a script from the vet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts