Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the main reason that i bought the sewing machine was so that I could hem my own jeans and pants. I'm a shortie (5'1) and paying a tailor is killing me. I was looking for instructions online but can't find any. Can someone give me a basis or a link on how to hem my jeans... I dont want to try and wing it and end up screwing up my jeans. I've looked for classes in my area but can;t find any.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Just a word of caution - heavy denim is difficult to work with, especially when you start stitching over the seams or more than two layers of denim.

Be sure you use the correct size needle. Also, if you are shortening the jeans by more than a couple of inches and they are flare legs, you will need to work in the extra fullness when you stitch around the leg.

·
Registered
661 Posts
also... just because I've done this so many times hemming my dad's..... go slow over the seams & don't try and rush by pulling the fabric thru because you will break the needle - and they has a tendency to go flying! If you don't already wear glasses - and you have any reading glasses or something around, it would be good to wear those to protect your eyes from flying needles!

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
goldie said:
also... just because I've done this so many times hemming my dad's..... go slow over the seams & don't try and rush by pulling the fabric thru because you will break the needle - and they has a tendency to go flying! If you don't already wear glasses - and you have any reading glasses or something around, it would be good to wear those to protect your eyes from flying needles!
Wow, who knew sewing could be so dangerous. :shock:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
goldie said:
Wow, who knew sewing could be so dangerous. :shock:
I've hemmed and repaired a lot of jeans when my children were young, and I never had that happen. Hmmmm......

I have had the needle get stuck in the fabric when trying to sew over seams. :banghead: Now that is frustrating when the needle won't go up or down.....grrrrr

Hemming or repairing jeans is NOT my favorite thing - can you tell? :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts