Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this thread goes out to Leroy my boyfriend's german shorthair pointer... he has just turned 7 months and is going through the worst stage ever :(. I am at my witts ends with this dog... he hasn't started lifting his leg ..but is peeing all over everything!!!!!

In the past 3 weeks he has peed on my sister's bed, our blankets, my couch, my boyfriend's couch, and even his room mates white futon. I am clueless as to why he started doing this... he purposely jumps up on things to pee on them... we aren't being lazy letting him out or anything and his schedule is pretty consistant. He will go to the door to be let out to poo but why has he all the sudden "forgot" that he pees outside too!

I can't take it anymore he is driving me insane.. I spend all my free time cleaning and doing wash because of him.

Could this be him marking his territory? :foxes15:

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is actually getting neutered but not soon enough... in prob like 3weeks

He is on a the list at my college to get the snip... we waited this long because it is free. I am in the vet tech program and for our surgical nursing we allow outside animals in to be spayed and neutered so we can watch and learn kinda thing.

I have never had a male dog before so he is very different and new to me.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Most likely this is a marking behavior. However, it can become habit if left too long. I would see if they've had any cancellations.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I will have to talk to my teacher.. I believe I am one of the first student's on the list... ugg keep your fingers crossed for me

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I am sorry to hear you are going through this. I do wish you luck. Can you confine to one room with no carpet or anything to pee on?

·
Registered
366 Posts
My very dominant minded border collie started this about the same age. It wasn't about potty training, it was about marking. He can still be a stinker with the right triggers.
MY boy never did it when I was watching. So I crated him when I couldn't watch him. He is now 2 1/2 and has grown out of it for the most part.

The only time he does it is if a strange dog comes into the house. It is like he has to tell them that he is top dog. Ugh! The pack order is calm until a new addition comes.
Also other peoples houses, he will mark if I don't watch him. So if we are visiting he is on a lead.
I think obedience training helps. Don't know why but it makes my guy more submissive. I also have a command to go potty. It is "Hurry Up". That has helped. Sounds controlling , but in I am kinda telling him what and when he can do things.
My guy has been a challenge. I wouldn't trade him though. Maybe as I was cleaning the pee or throwing something destroyed away.
I think these working dogs need soo much mental stimulation. I try, but not near enough I guess. Poor pups.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think it is marking too. He is the right age for that to start. It is a territorial thing. Can you do a belly band when he is loose in the house? I know they have them for small dogs, but don't know if they make them for big dogs. If not, just get a handtowel and wrap it around his middle and then either pin it at the top or duct tape it, so it covers his weenie. Then if he lifts his leg, he just wets himself. It will also help you gauge how much he is going. Marking isn't a complete urination, it's just a squirt here and a squirt there.

The only other thing I can think of is a urinary tract infection. Sometimes dogs will forget potty training if they have an infection. So you could take in a urine sample and see if that's it.

And yes! See if you can get him on the list for an earlier neuter!!

Brodysmom

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for you advice.. I am so frustrated.. I think I may take in a urine sample because he isn't lifting his leg.

Could it still be a marking issue even if he isn't lifting his leg.. maybe like the start of a marking issue?

It usually is a good ammount of urine so maybe it is medical

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If it was a urinary tract infection, that would be an easy fix!! A behavioral issue is harder to deal with. Let us know what the vet says. :)

Brodysmom

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
When Zoey's urinary infection started she squated right beside me in the kitchen and peed on the floor. Her urine was also very yellow and real strong smelling.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
i know how this feels, bam started marking (i'm pretty sure that's what leroy is doing) all over the place 2 months before he was neutered. it drove me and my mom insane - he was peeing all over the place! it did take a little bit after the neutering for it to stop, but he has completely stopped since. good luck on getting him in earlier!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts