Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy, Daisy, has decided the travel playpen that I sometimes put her in is her litter box. She actually tried to get in it and peed on the floor when she couldn't. I had put her in it one of the first days I had her and put some blankets and toys on one side and lined the entire playpen with pee pads. I also put her in a litter box with pee pads, but if I really want her to go and get it over with I can put her in the playpen. I have been trying to avoid that, because I want her to go in the right place, but have kept the playpen in the room for when I need to keep her safe and out of trouble. eVery time she is in there she pees and poos. She has gone a few times in the litter box in other rooms and the same room, but really seems to know the playpen is where to go...when it really isn't!! I have now let the sides down so she can actually get in, so she doesn't go on my floors, but am hoping as she gets older she will learn the litterbox is the place to go. What does any one suggest about this problem???

·
Registered
95 Posts
Will her litter box fit in the pen? If so try to get her to use it in there, when shes using the tray all the time put it just outside the pen & then gradually move it away from the pen until its where you want it.
Praise her really well when she uses the tray :D but just ignore her if she doesn't use it. :roll:
Good luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah I agree. Takes time and a lot of patience but you have to do it gradually. Start with her wee tray close then ,ove it away. Any accidents, clean up immediately and don't scold for it but praise her like crazy when she wees in the right place. They love to please so hopefully she'll pick it up rather quickly. Good Luck. :)

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
I had no idea you could litter train achi are we talking about cat litter or just a pee pad ? When Tader was a puppy he would pee right in the bed & I meen on you if you were where he was when he had to go!! over the years he finally learned to go outside but if you leave a pee pad down during the night you better believe it will be dry in the morning & the living room rug will be wet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an actual dog litter pan (I got in at Petsmart) and I use the wee wee pads in it. They sell some type of dog litter, but I have not tried that yet. I have a litter box in my office, in the livingroom and have just laid the pads down on the floor of my laundry room. I want the dogs going in the laundry room only, eventually, but need the boxes near them while they are still learning. My problem is my puppy thinks the pee pads lining the bottom of the play pen ARE THE LITTERBOX. I may try putting the pan in there, but I think it is too big to fit. that may be the solution.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Ok I get it now I have this picture of a tiny little puppy digging a hole like a cat in a litter pan. I cant hardly ever get Tader to use a pee pad he hates to go where he is supposed to although he has gotten better with age. Best of luck with your training

1 - 6 of 6 Posts