Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, Sparkey's stool has blood in it, but later today, we noticed his penis was dripping blood...what is this problem?

He's was acting unusually strange yesterday, he totally ignored me.

He's better and running around now, but the problem concerns me.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
not good :(
the poop sometimes can be nothing unless it persists but the penis........that concerns me :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
he seems to be active and normal now, i treated him with some peroxide

we'll see in a couple of days

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
From the American Vet Association:

There are two things to think about when bleeding occurs from the penis.
The first is an injury to the penis or some other part of the urinary tract
leading to the hemorrhage. The second is a bleeding disorder that is
affecting the entire dog but showing up as bleeding from the penis. It is
important to note that occasional instances of small amounts of bleeding
from the penis (several drops but enough to be noticeable) are not highly
unusual in intact male dogs and often do not seem to cause any significant problems. This is especially true when they are aware of a female in heat but not able to breed with her. It sounds like you are seeing more bleeding than this, though.

The most common problem leading to bleeding in intact male dogs is almost certainly prostate disease. The prostate can be palpated in dogs by rectal palpation and if the prostate is greatly enlarged it would increase the likelihood of prostatic problems as the cause of the observed bleeding. The antibiotics are a good choice in this case. Prostate infections are often poorly responsive to antibiotics and they must be used for long periods of time in some dogs to get control of the infections --- it is not unusual to have to use antibiotics for 6 to 8 weeks. Prostate hypertrophy in the absence of infection also occurs and can lead to bleeding from the penis. I think that this is probably the major reason that we see occasional bleeding episodes in some male dogs who never really seem to be ill from the problem. This is especially true of young male dogs who are sexually frustrated by the presence of a female in heat.

Injuries to the penis are not too unusual in dogs that have learned to
masturbate in response to sexual frustration. It is a good idea to examine
the penis for signs of injury whenever bleeding is seen. We have also seen injuries to the prepuce that were difficult to locate, including one dog
who had managed to fun over a stick in just the right path to push it
several inches into his sheath, where it caused a great deal of hemorrhage but was not visible.

Bleeding disorders are not especially common in dogs but German shepherds are one of the breeds that is prone to these problems, since there is a higher than usual rate of hemophilia in GSDs. Checking for a bleeding disorder with a coagulation profile or bleeding time tests would be reasonable.

It does help to have access to an ultrasound machine when the prostate is suspected to be the problem but it is reasonable to just treat for the
problems that can be treated for and hope for the best when access to this type of testing is limited.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Cooper said:
This is especially true of young male dogs who are sexually frustrated by the presence of a female in heat.

Injuries to the penis are not too unusual in dogs that have learned to
masturbate in response to sexual frustration. .

WHAT! THEY CAN DO THAT ? WHO WOULD EVER THINK :roll:

·
Registered
587 Posts
i didnt think they did that either! I thought humans were the only species who mated for pleasure not just to procreate... hmmmm...

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I heard it was just humans and dolphns.. YES DOLPHINS HAVE SEX FOR PLEASURE! :shock:

In his stool I owuld have thought maybe he was constpiated but from his penis???

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Please take ur chi to the vet asap. That is not normal and can be a sign of infection or some sort of urinary blockage.
Blood from stool can be normal but not blood from the penis. Something is going on.
Also remember that dogs naturally try to hide pain and sickness...just becasue your chi is acting fine doesnt mean its feeling fine. Please dont wait because this problem can get worse and you dont want to wait until its too late or until your chi is really sick and in pain.
Just think.....if you had blood coming from that area on u and it was abnormal would u call the doc????

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
PEROXIDE?????????? where did you put it? Yes, when our babies hump and grind on an object they are masturbating lol. What did ya think they sat back and just went for ole glory with a paw :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts