Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, need some advice!

for the past 24 hours, elmo has been really constipated. and he keeps dragging his bum on the floor which is releasing the most horrific smell. But not only this, he was trying to poo earlier and was having reall difficulty. When i looked, there was an awful lot of hair in with the poo and i have a terrible feeling he has been eating the hair out of my hair brush!! He really not feeling very well and just wants to sleep all the time or drag his bum on the ground. The vets is closed tomorrow. What can i do??????

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:( poor thing, I haven't had much experience with anal glands but I think that's part of the problem..do a search on that and see if you dare to clean them yourself (I usually get the bathtub filled and do it under water)..that might help him poo better...for the constipation I've read that giving just a bit of greasy foods helps, and maybe just putting a bit of oil in his food..just a bit...hopefully somebody else can help you better..

About the hair thing...Stinky eats my hair once in a while and I remember it was really painful for him to poo..the following might sound really gross..I had to grab him when he was trying to poo and pull the hair stickin' out of his bum :( it came out attached to something else if you know what i mean but after that he was fine :wave: Best of luck to you both and I hope he feels better soon!

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Sounds like it could be a couple of things.

1. His anal glands need to be expressed. That could be the smell and the bum rubbing.

2. If he ate the hair, it can be extremly hard for them to pass it or it could have caused a blockage in his intestine. Since he is rubbing him bum, I would think it is working it's way down and he can't get it out.

You really should take him to the vet. If his intestine gets twisted it could kill him. And if he's not acting like himself there is definatly something wrong.
Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree - I think Elmo could have a blockage. Hair doesn't digest well- do you have another vet you can go to? (like tonight! Monday's a holiday!) :( good luck

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Phone your vets number and see if they have left an answerphone message details of an emergency number, if not phone around for another vets practice, manchester is a big place they will have more than one vets and im sure one will be open.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Poor little baby!

It really might be the anal glands, according by the fact that he drags his butt on the floor and this is releasing a bad smell.
Unfortunately my Luna has anal glands problems really often.
I suggest you to try to sqeeze them. It's not hard and there are many web sites that can explain you how to do it.

The other thing regarding the hair kinda scares me, I am not trying to worry you though. I've had that problem too, always with Luna.
She was badly constipated one day and had a bunch of hair coming out of her butt.......I had to get them out with the pooper scooper....I know it sounds gross but it needed to be done. In your case I really hope it's not a blockage...... :? If I were you I would call your vet and get their emergency # or take him to a pet hospital.

Please, keep us updated! Good luck!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
How is Elmo doing have you taken him to the vets - it sounds like anal glands but could also be a blockage if he appears constipated

Is he having any abdo pain or swelling ? is he eating ? keep us posted and good luck Gem :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
he's ok

oh thank you all so much for your kind words!!

well, when i got up this morning elmo was his usual happy self! I let him outside for his morning tolilet trip and he was absolutely fine!! Had a wee and a poo as usual without any problems!!!

i still think i might take him to the vets on monday for a check up and see if they can prescribe something to "clean him out" but thankfully he seems back to himself!!

And just to show you, he even posed for a photo for you all!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
:blob5: :blob7: :blob8: Yea for Elmo! I am so glad he is doing better. That sounded very scary. Good for you and good for Elmo!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts