Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only thing is it was white, can ticks be white? It looks like a seed, It was sticking up and was stuck to her. I used tweezers and plucked it out as close to the skin as i could. I got it out, and now there is a red mark on her skin. I know it has been on her since yesterday, cause we went hiking in the woods and actually saw one on her and got it off, this other one must have gotten on her and we didn't see it. What do I do? :sad1:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
if its white and big then it was about to fall off.........did u save it to make sure it's not LYME.....I dont know if u have that issue or not. Watch the dog for re-actions

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hi Nikki, unfortunately Lyme disease is endemic in New York, chronic cases have been cited in the Long Island area.

The type of tick that carries Lyme disease is the Deer tick (or black-legged tick). When engorged with blood (well fed) the body can turn a grey color which could have been what you saw (not sure?). This is an example of an engorged female deer tick.

Anyways, if you notice any motility problems, joint or muscle pain, uncoordinated walking, that is the first sign that the bacteria causing Lyme disease is infecting the body. Soon after it will attack major organs including kidney, liver, and heart. If you suspect your pup has Lyme disease, take him to the vet right away!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Nikki, it does appear to be a deer tick, but hard to be sure without examining in person. The good news is that it also looks like you got the head/mouth parts so risk of infection is lower. The "scab" is normal, as the skin is healing at the site of the bite. If the redness spreads, and itchiness or hairloss ensues, you may want to have a vet look and make sure there isn't a secondary infection to the site. Good to hear your doggy is doing well!

-Nate

1 - 14 of 14 Posts