Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm needing a bit of help.

I have 3 chi's all the same age from the same litter. 2 girls and 1 boy. The boy seems to be in charge I guess as there are 2 females. They have just turned 10 months and I have had no problems with them at all. I had their parents to start with but when I moved from my parents my dad had fallen for them so we agreed I would have 2 of the puppies when they bred. (of course I ended up with 3!!!)

So anyway the problem is the past couple of months the smallest girl has been getting jealous when I fuss the other 2, I give them all the exact same attention. To begin with we ignored her scratching our hands and did not fuss her until she stopped and that was fine for a while but latley if she is sat on our knee and the other female comes over she will first growl then snap. We do tap her nose and say no but we are worried this might get worse.

I have heard all the stories about chi's being very jealous but I think that is how all dogs are and it depends how they are brought up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Much love!!!
Charlie, Oliver, lulu and dot xxx

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It is called resource guarding and I think lots of little dogs do it. Taz does and I really have to stay after her about it. I suggest that if she growls while she is in your lap, you tell her no firmly and set her on the ground immediately. She will learn pretty quickly but you have to be persistent.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Exellent advice. Just remove her from your lap. Emmie, my tricolor, will do this. She now knows one little growl is all that is allowed. I let her have that. She is telling the other dog, that she is in 'her' place, and not to be moved!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.