Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wave: Heyy all!! Thanks for clickin on ma subject thing hehe.....Urmmm ive suddenyl developed this huge love for chihuahuas and im in the process of choosing one to buy,i got a few unanswered questions that id like to hear all your veiws on please :p

1.Do You Think Its Cruel To Dress Chi's Up?

2.Ive Heard That Chi's Dont Live For Very Long,Is This True?

3.Do They Tend To Smell Much?

4.Are They Very Sennstitive And Liable To Get Ill Easily?

5.Exactly How Small Are 'Teacup' Chi's?

Thank you for reading,i hope someone can help me out here as i just need to be sure on a few things.If you could that would be great....Love to all my chihuahua-loving buddiez!!! x

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
MeMe said:
:wave: Heyy all!! Thanks for clickin on ma subject thing hehe.....Urmmm ive suddenyl developed this huge love for chihuahuas and im in the process of choosing one to buy,i got a few unanswered questions that id like to hear all your veiws on please :p

1.Do You Think Its Cruel To Dress Chi's Up? Absolutely positively not

2.Ive Heard That Chi's Dont Live For Very Long,Is This True? Not true at all they live to be very old actually smaller dogs live longer than big dogs

3.Do They Tend To Smell Much? No

4.Are They Very Sennstitive And Liable To Get Ill Easily? No my boy only gets sick when he gets his shots

5.Exactly How Small Are 'Teacup' Chi's? Since there's no such thing I don't know

Thank you for reading,i hope someone can help me out here as i just need to be sure on a few things.If you could that would be great....Love to all my chihuahua-loving buddiez!!! x

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
1.Do You Think Its Cruel To Dress Chi's Up? I don't think it's cruel. Some chis really like to wear clothes, especially when it's cold. This is just my opinion. :)

2.Ive Heard That Chi's Dont Live For Very Long,Is This True? If taken care of properly, chihuahuas can live a long time and some even longer than other breeds. :)

3.Do They Tend To Smell Much? They smell just like any other dog and need proper/regular grooming. :)

4.Are They Very Sennstitive And Liable To Get Ill Easily? No more than any other dog, i would think. :)

5.Exactly How Small Are 'Teacup' Chi's? There is no such thing as a teacup. Period. Go to the AKC web site. It can teach you about the chihuahua standard. Some chihuahuas are just smaller than others. This is not always a good thing, depending on the dog. :)

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
May I ask why you've suddenly developed this "huge love for chihuahuas?"

1. It is not cruel to dress up a dog but not everyone thinks it's a good idea.
2. Chi's can live a long time, up to 20 years or more.
3. My Lily smells heavenly. :)
4. They are prone to certain health problems but so is any other breed.
5. The term "teacup chihuahua" is a fabrication of greedy breeders and idiotic celebrities. At best, it's an excuse for sleazy breeders to rip you off and at worst, it promotes a cruel and dangerous trend in breeding naturally small dogs even smaller so that more health problems will eventually ensue.

I'm a bit disturbed by the kind of questions you're asking. Please be very sure that owning a chi is something you really wish to do... long term. If it is, then I wish you many years of happiness with your chihuahua. :wave:

·
Registered
897 Posts

No, it's not cruel. But some dogs really don't like it much. Angel tolerates it but would prefer to go au naturale. ;)

Nope, not true at all. They are one of the longest lived breeds I believe.

I don't believe so. No more than any other dog.

No, not that I'm aware of at least.

No such thing. A chi is a chi. They can range in size but smaller is not necessarily a good thing.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
When searching for a chi these types of questions shouldnt be the main ones at all. How about what are their health issues? ect anyway... a very massive welcome to you, your from the uk, thats great we have many members here now from the uk inc me from london. :wave: welcome

Yes. To the extent of bikinnis! underwear! ect, but no when is jumpers shirts t shirts tops and things that could keep them warm.Some chis love that kinda attention. Though not all chis like dressing up and thats not something I would recommend you ask the breeder whether their pup does or not, so you ca never tell if your dog will like it or not. Dont buy a dog for the reason of dressing it up.

2.Ive Heard That Chi's Dont Live For Very Long,Is This True? Chis can live up to 20 years, its a long time!! If treated and looked after well enough.

Like any other dog, though I did here from one person that chis dont smell like any other dog? :? :)

4.Are They Very Sennstitive And Liable To Get Ill Easily? If your looking for a *teacup* or a relly tiny chi then yes! Be prepared to have a sick unhealthy puppy!

No such thing hence why i wrote teacup in stars. Its a back yard breeders term just to make them seem more fancier, YOU CAN NEVER DETERMINE CHIS WEIGHT as you never know really how big it will get. If you want more luck in getting a chi especially in the uk (i waited 2 years) Id say the best way to go about it hun is to research, stick around here and well help you with anything you want. Ditch saying or beleiving in teacup chis as no proper decent breeder will look twice in your direction. Good luck hun xxx :wave:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
no, especially when the weather is cold...infact when its cold out a chi will apreciate a jacket. (however im not a big fan of the overly froofy/princess outfits that vixie things are fodder for shredding)

actualy chihuahuas are actually one of the longest lived breeds, smaller dogs tend to live longer than larger dogs. the average lifespan of a healthy well cared for chi can be in the 20's whereas a great dane is an old man at 7.

they smell just as much as any other well groomed well looked after dog. just like any other dog their poop smells, if they get sprayed by a skunk yeah they will smell and if theyve rolled aroud in poop they will smell...however with good grooming they should have no real odor whatso ever.

puppies must be well looked after and you need to make sure they eat, get good veterinary care, keep their blood sugar levels up, and make sure your carefull while getting there shots. (some chihuahuas have bad reactions to shot)
but on average after the puppy risks are over at about a year there actually USUALLY if from a good breeder very healthy dogs.

as has been said there are absolutly NO such thing as 'teacup' chihuahuas, this is a tearm used grosley out of proportion to describe the smallest chihuahuas in the litter, otherwise known as THE RUNT of the litter!
most breeders selling 'teacups' usually state anything wiht an est adult weight of under 4lbs a 'teacup' though i have seen breeders selling 6lb chis as 'teacups' at 1,500...DO NOT BE RIPPED OFF BY UNETHICAL BREEDERS CLAIMING THEY BREED TEACUP CHIHUAHUAS.
remember...tiny dogs are difficult to raise, most runts of any litter DONOT make it though their baby years and need LOTS of extra care (in the early months because of the risk of hypoglycemia they need 24/7 supervision, most breeders with tinies if alone will take them into the bathroom with them and carrythem round while cooking ect.)

im glad you have found a love of this special breed, i would love to know what brought you into loving chihuahuas.

and i will say thank eavens you have come to a knowledgable place and asked questions...BEFORE getting a chi....and ANY questions you have PLEASE ask before you go out and get a baby. we can even help you work out if a breeder seems ethical or a website seems to be the window of a puppy mill...

some rules to remember, dont buy from ANYONE advertising their chihuahuas as 'teacups' 'toys' or anyother adition....all chis are chis (check out AKC.org for breed description)
dont buy form anyone advertising to always have puppies available, most breeders will only have a few a year and usually have a waiting list, they will also have lots of questions to ask you before agreeing to let you have one of their babies...
and most of all...dont ruch, wait and find the PERFECT baby!

hope this helps and welcome!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I'm glad you guys have done so well in answering that poster's questions. Especially about the 'teacup' Chi's. Hopefully the poster will read up and be very sure about getting a Chi before they actually do get one. I read up well about them and am also thankful to the lovely Chi owners' here that provide such fantastic answers to ppls questions.

One of the first things you learn when researching about Chi's is that there is no 'teacup' or 'mini' Chi's. I get so frustrated at people breeding and keeping unhealthy Chi's because of these myths. Chi's just come in different sizes, some larger, some smaller. Hope the poster learns from the replies here. :)

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
LuvMyChi said:
I'm glad you guys have done so well in answering that poster's questions. Especially about the 'teacup' Chi's. Hopefully the poster will read up and be very sure about getting a Chi before they actually do get one. I read up well about them and am also thankful to the lovely Chi owners' here that provide such fantastic answers to ppls questions.

One of the first things you learn when researching about Chi's is that there is no 'teacup' or 'mini' Chi's. I get so frustrated at people breeding and keeping unhealthy Chi's because of these myths. Chi's just come in different sizes, some larger, some smaller. Hope the poster learns from the replies here. :)
couldnt agree more :wave:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
No, although some people don't like to dress theirs up. And sometimes, you have a chi that doesn't like being dressed up.

Chihuahuas are the longest living dog breed, average about 10-15 years.

My dog smells everything he can get his nose on. :D

As pups, they are extremely sensitive but all puppies are. As they get older, they're probably more sensitive to illness but not out of the ordinary.

There are no teacups chihuahuas... only the invisible ones. Read the AKC or UKC standards on chihuahuas and it will make sense.

Please do a lot more research on owning a chihuahua and the care that goes into the breed. They aren't easy to care for, in comparison to larger breed dogs, so research is key before bringing a chi into your home.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
LuvMyChi said:
You can read about the teacup myth here:

http://www.tazchi.com/pages/tea_cup.htm
that site has a lot of good info on it..its one of the sites that helped me when i decided to get a chi and was learning about them.

everyone pretty much answered all the poster's questions very well, so i won't take up space here re-answering them, lol. I do agree with Cooper, please do a lot more research on chi's before getting one. They aren't toys or a fashion accessory and need a lot more devotion than a larger dog because of their size.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
:( Sit down everyone you all won't beleive what i saw at a pet store the other day a calander titled as T......Chihuahuas rather than just Chihuahuas.I told a worker that beleives that there are teacups that she needs to read the AKC Standards and she rudely said all these are teacups to another worker and she has two chis herself with no experience on the breed.And she just started ignoring me while tell this to the other worker of course laughing about it besides telling me i love chis ya right.I say if one really loves the breed why not learn about it.Sorry guys i posted this here but this really upseted me so much.I had to let it out somewhere .

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I've said it before ... and I'll say it again. Cooper isn't a teacup chi... he's a beer mug chi. :D

If he gets any bigger, he'll be a 7-11 Super Big Gulp chi.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Some good questions for you to research since everyone here has answered the others so well :D

what genetic and breed specific problems may I encounter?

what is hypoglycemia, and how should I be prepared for it?

what are some good things for me to have on hand for a puppy care/emergency kit?

what is a good age to buy a chihuahua?

what is the best food to feed my chihuahua?

what should I NEVER feed my chihuahua.?

these are all questions you need toknow the answers to and Im sure many more.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hey welcome to the site, i think it's great that you like chi's even better you are willing to educate yourself about them before getting one. Here are the awnsers to your questions.

not at all, actually in the winter it is neccessary in weather under 40 degrees they need to be wearign some kind of sweater or jacket,

No, chis being a toy breed have a very long lifespan, i think the average is like 10-15 years with good care.
not sure wha t you mean.. but they are small enough to take a bath in the kitchen sink if need be.
when they are puppies they are subject to hypoglycemia, which ca be deadly but that is only for about the first 2 weeks. and parvo, there are lots of boards on these that you can search for,

there is no such thing as a tea cup chi, it is a breeders scam to get more money also these "tea -cup" chi's tend to be less healthy, and usually have genetic problems, chihuahuas can range anywhere between 2 pounds and 10 pounds.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
princess ella: geez what idiots.. i would have them go pull up the AKC standards then, or go get the chihauhua magazine and show them HELLO why are people soooo dumb.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts