Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..this whole Raw Diet thing.

Is it true that they are not getting all their nutrients? Which ones are they receiving?

Wolves and domestic dogs digest food differently, how can you say they are the same?

What about salmonella?

I am not against anyone feeding their dog this diet... I would just like to know the pro's and cons.

Thank you.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Did you read the sticky in this section? It has a raw myths link that is invaluable in helping to learn more. :)

Raw foods are healthiest for all beings, humans AND dogs. What do you think is healthier.... a plate of steak, broccoli and a potato? Or a bowl of total cereal. If you looked at the nutrient profiles, they may be remarkably similar. But one is ultra processed and one is fresh. It is the same philosophy in raw feeding our dogs, who are classified as carnivores by the smithsonian institution and share 99.9% of grey wolf DNA . Yes, they have evolved remarkably from the grey wolf, but a dissection of their GI tract would be identical.

As a personal note - After the massive dog food recalls a few years ago, I began researching different ways of feeding our dogs. The more I read about processed foods (kibble) and the ways they are produced, the more I liked the idea of controlling the ingredients my dog eats. A prey model diet is mostly meat (80%), a little bone (10%) and the rest is 5% liver and 5% other organ such as kidney. It is simple. It is balanced. It is healthiest.

If you do a little reading you will see that dogs are meant to process bacteria that humans cannot handle. They can eat rotten food and be OK. (Not suggesting we feed rotten food, just an example of how their systems work). They lick their butts and suffer no ill effects and of course stool is full of bacteria. We are used to 'humanizing' our little companions, but the truth is - they are carnivores with the ability to process meats, NOT cereal and grains. Kibble is a multi million dollar industry born out of convenience.

Like I said, I would point you to the links in the sticky for further reading! :) Once you have done some research, you can draw your own conclusions.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I agree with Brodysmom/Tracy! :)

The link she gave you is very informative.

As far as raw fed dogs not getting all their nutrients is completely false. As long as you follow the
80/10/10 they are getting exactly what they require nutritionally. Home cooked meals and kibble lack vital vitamins and mineral because of the processing and cooking. They have to add it all back in.

And like Tracy mentioned, wolves and dogs digest food the same way. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you read the sticky in this section? It has a raw myths link that is invaluable in helping to learn more. :)

Raw foods are healthiest for all beings, humans AND dogs. What do you think is healthier.... a plate of steak, broccoli and a potato? Or a bowl of total cereal. If you looked at the nutrient profiles, they may be remarkably similar. But one is ultra processed and one is fresh. It is the same philosophy in raw feeding our dogs, who are classified as carnivores by the smithsonian institution and share 99.9% of grey wolf DNA . Yes, they have evolved remarkably from the grey wolf, but a dissection of their GI tract would be identical.

As a personal note - After the massive dog food recalls a few years ago, I began researching different ways of feeding our dogs. The more I read about processed foods (kibble) and the ways they are produced, the more I liked the idea of controlling the ingredients my dog eats. A prey model diet is mostly meat (80%), a little bone (10%) and the rest is 5% liver and 5% other organ such as kidney. It is simple. It is balanced. It is healthiest.

If you do a little reading you will see that dogs are meant to process bacteria that humans cannot handle. They can eat rotten food and be OK. (Not suggesting we feed rotten food, just an example of how their systems work). They lick their butts and suffer no ill effects and of course stool is full of bacteria. We are used to 'humanizing' our little companions, but the truth is - they are carnivores with the ability to process meats, NOT cereal and grains. Kibble is a multi million dollar industry born out of convenience.

Like I said, I would point you to the links in the sticky for further reading! :) Once you have done some research, you can draw your own conclusions.
Thank you! I appreciate your reply and great info. I will search this forum, and read more about.

Just a note* Purina doesn't buy from China or outside companies. They never had a recall (that I am aware of)..

Thanks again.. I've heard good and bad about it (Raw diet). I am neutral, because I have never tried it, and I am not educated enough about it..
I guess one of my concerns is expense.
I will read more about it this weekend, when I have more time :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with Brodysmom/Tracy! :)

The link she gave you is very informative.

As far as raw fed dogs not getting all their nutrients is completely false. As long as you follow the
80/10/10 they are getting exactly what they require nutritionally. Home cooked meals and kibble lack vital vitamins and mineral because of the processing and cooking. They have to add it all back in.

And like Tracy mentioned, wolves and dogs digest food the same way. :)
I heard my old vet, whom I work for tell a client this (no other nutrients) ..lol, but he also sells dog food.. hmmmm.

I can't wait to read about it.
Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I know it's in a lot of posts around here, but I thought I'd pass it in in case you hadn't seen it:

dogfoodanalysis.com

Its not about raw diet, but since you mentioned Purina I thought I should direct you to it. It rates/analyzes various brands of kibble and canned food; and it'll tell you just how low Purina is rated despite what most people think thanks to how they (falsely) advertise. Even if you don't go with raw, it can help you look at better quality options.
I feed raw myself and love the benefits of it, and it's a lot cheaper for us than buying bags of dog food (we have 4 total so we were going through a lot...) so cost-wise it's definitely helped too. Good luck!

·
Registered
125 Posts
When we brought Zippy home 7(ish) months ago, he was an old dog who was kinda tired with a number of health problems.

Since we started on a raw diet with him, he has been a very energetic old dog in seemingly really good health (and spirits) for someone with so many health problems. I totally blame the raw diet for the turnaround!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Just ONE example of a Purina recall...

Product Recall - Purina Dog Food

They have happened and WILL happen again. Its sad, but true.

I feed a raw diet too and love it :)

A few companies make almost all dog food, therefore when something goes wrong, it affects almost all dog foods. Some companies just cover their dirt better than others, Purina being one of those. Frankly its oneof the last foods I'd ever feed...its horrible! Recall or no recall you might as well just stick your dog in a garbage can and let it rummage and honestly that'd probably be better for it. I agree, check out dogfoodanalysis.com and learn about the ingredients in the food.

There are a FEW GOOD kibble companies out there that are small, privately owned and manufactured away from other pet foods...Fromm Family and Champion Pet Foods. Other than those I wouldn't touch kibble w/ a 10 foot stick.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think something to remember about the raw diet (and I am not disrespecting the raw diet) is that your ingredients sources have to be reliable. I wouldn't trust any of our local grocery stores to handle meat properly, so I wouldn't ever feed raw myself; but if you have access to one of the prepared raw diets, or a meatmonger that you trust, there are definite advantages to it.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think something to remember about the raw diet (and I am not disrespecting the raw diet) is that your ingredients sources have to be reliable. I wouldn't trust any of our local grocery stores to handle meat properly, so I wouldn't ever feed raw myself; but if you have access to one of the prepared raw diets, or a meatmonger that you trust, there are definite advantages to it.
I agree, buy the best meat you can afford. But... having said that, even the worst grocery store meat is better than the most expensive organic/holistic kibble. There just is no comparison between fresh and processed.

Do you think the meat that goes in kibble is the 'good stuff'? You'd be surprised and probably repulsed by what goes into even the premium kibbles. It is meat that is unfit for human consumption 99% of the time. At least the stuff you buy from the store is fit for humans.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I would trust my grocery store handling my meats before I would ever trust a kibble company and their processed "food" but that's just me. :)

There are a few good kibbles out there though. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kitty, thank you for that link ;)

...and I think you all are making me rethink this whole raw diet thing.. thats a good thing.

I am on here in the am , like 5am, eastern, USA time.. I have a bad head cold and I have to get ready for work. I am definitely going to take this weekend to read up on all the links posted :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have an old Boxer that a neigbor tossed in a deer leg for her 10 years ago. She got so sick and has had bouts of colitis ever since. Her bactiria gets out of balance so easy. If she eats a piece of cat poo she will be in bad pain for a week. I guess I'm afraid of raw because of that.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Honestly, the primary reason I feed a raw diet (Primal brand Quail or Pheasant) is because my dogs will devour it. :) It is expensive but not as much as buying bag after bag of foods they won't eat. And I have tried a lot.
Bruiser is the pickiest and won't touch kibble no matter the brand nor ziwipeak and now even turns his nose up at Sojos dehydrated raw.
Peach will pick at kibble if she's super hungry, doesn't like Ziwipeak and also now picks at the Sojos
Asia would probably eat a shoe. She loves everything. haha But the speed at which they eat their Primal is amazing. 30 seconds flat and they are done. I don't even know if they chew it. haha.
It is a frozen raw.
Also, the benefit of raw is much less poop and I swear it doesn't smell. My daughter had her dog here over Christmas and I forgot what big, frequent and smelly dog poops are like. Shudder.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd like to link everyone who is interested on educating themselves about the downfalls of kibble to a site...it personally disgusted me, but is completely true.

What’s Really in Pet Food

Long but extremely informative article- and trust me, you'll really start questioning kibble.
Thank you all!
I too am going to post this on my facebook :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I checked out the whats in pet food link and followed links from there and on of them said that raw diet is not a stand alone diet. But other think it is. SOOOOOOOO confusing:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
When we brought Zippy home 7(ish) months ago, he was an old dog who was kinda tired with a number of health problems.

Since we started on a raw diet with him, he has been a very energetic old dog in seemingly really good health (and spirits) for someone with so many health problems. I totally blame the raw diet for the turnaround!
too cute!! How old is Zippy?
I feed Minnie dehydrated raw food and she LOVES it! She's also pretty peppy for a 10 yr old :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I checked out the whats in pet food link and followed links from there and on of them said that raw diet is not a stand alone diet. But other think it is. SOOOOOOOO confusing:confused:
It is absolutely a stand-alone diet...all you need are raw bones, raw muscle meat, and raw organs. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts