Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry:
I feel horrible.
When we got Pip, we had fully planned on the bathroom in the am, eat, then bathroom again. Repeating this after the rest of his meals. We had pads for him too that we was using pretty well if we didn't get him in time to take him out.
WELL the first problem was he wouldn't eat when we'd put his food out, he'd go an hour or so before taking any interest, other times it was longer. We also found out he was eating the cat food, and we were losing that battle. So, I would put his food out, keep a close eye on him and he'd eat then potty on the pad.
We were living in a house then, and have since moved into an apt. Plus, my back pain has been getting worse and I am so tired all of the time. I sleep until noon, and go straight to the couch b/c I am in so much pain, and still so tired. This caused me to stop taking him out and just letting him use his pads. This was going okay, I just left food out and he ate when he was hungry (he is very thin, I didn't want to starve him either). But, he was missing the pads and it was leaking on the carpet. He'd walk while pooping and go a bit away from the pads. I started cleaning the pads and changing them more frequently to see if that helped (he had three total, one in the bedroom and two side by side in the dining room). We did take him out more on the weekends, hubby would in the morning then I would in the afternoon. I am angry with myself b/c I don't have the patience, and many times he wouldn't go for me (plus, like above, I hurt so much that it is tiring for me to stand around), then if the grass is wet he won't go on it, or if it is cold, he just shakes and sits on my foot, or he gets sidetracked with all the other dog smells or any sounds he hears. Eventually, if you are out there with him long enough, he will go. But we just didn't do it regularly. Also, when I get up in the am, I go straight to the bathroom and he does it too. Usually on his pad, and when we were in the house, my hubby would feed him and take him out before he went to work. I would take him out first, but I don't wake up at night to go, so when I wake in the am (between nine and noon) my bladder and back hurt from not going for so long.'
SO, we got him a puppy litter box, the one for toys. I put his pads inside it and put him in there to sniff it. A bitlater, I caught himlifting his leg to the carpet where the pads USED to be, appx a foot away from the box I said "NO! BAD BOY! POTTY IN THE BOX" and put him in there, but he knew he was in trouble and just sat in there shaking and trying to crawl out to me to sit in my lap. He did the same thing later on, and I put him in his kennel to see if he'd catch on that eating cat poop and peeing on the carpet were BAD DOG. So far, that isn't working either. WE don't mind so much when he poops, but it is all the same. SO< we got him a bigger box and he wasn't scared of it anymore-a few times I saw him getting in it sniffing his pads, I truly thought he was catching on, but four days later and he is still going on the carpet. My husband is getting mad, I am upset and I am afraid my hubby will make me get rid of him. We are moving into a condo in a few months and we need him to be trained for good by then. We don't care so much about the apt floor (oh, cleaned it really good after I got the box too, hoping he'd then go to the pads in the box)
We have thought about putting him on the patio to go potty either on a pad or in the box. How do I get him to understand? I praise him for good things and punish him for bad, but he just doesn't get it. My mom's chis are older but do the same thing-I am begining to think I have a stupid dog, and that it isn't is fault, it is mine. It is like failing-how could I ever potty train a baby if I can't even potty train a dog? Doesn't help that I have a major back surgery in a week and WILL NOT be able to take him out (won't even be able to bend down to put his lead on to take him out), I can't feed him b/c I can't bend down, so his food will need to be out. I willnot be home for a bit, but we decided to put him in the kitchen when we aren't home (hubby works ten hour days, so the food needs to be in there and he needs to be able to potty, either on the pads, or goshforbid, the floor which is crappy old linolium anyway((they gave us new carpet but left the oldest linolium.) I am at my wits end. Doesn't help that he always goes for hubby-we wouldn't mind so much if he just didn't miss the pads-I am so upset. ANd hubby keeps bringing it up like" it stinks in here", or " look what your dumb dog did again" or "DAM*****! He SH** on the carpet again!" Then I start crying b/c I am upset that my dog is incapable oflearning this, but maybe it has nothing to do with him, it is just my fault. PLEASE, help me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add, we got Pip when he was just about four months old, he is now seven months.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I really feel for you. My bf sounds the same as your hubby :roll: . For some dogs it is REALLY hard to potty train them. And routine is the best way. They need to have a routine (like kids :) ) so they get into the groove of things and eventually get the hang of it. When you guys are home is Pip with you constantly? While you are trying to potty train him you really need to keep an eye on him at ALL times. If you are in the shower or taking a nap or whatever, he needs to be confined in the kitchen.

With you in pain and your back surgery coming up your hubby is really going to have to pitch in a little more. If he is not willing to take him outside on a regular basis, I think it's a good idea to just stick to the pads. I think it might be kind of confusing for him, going outside, going on the pads, in the box, on the carpet. Maybe he just doesn't really know what to do.

I would suggest that he stays right in your sights at all times and like I said if you can't watch him put him in the kitchen. It won't hurt him to be in there and as long as you're paying attention to him and taking him out of the kitchen regularly, he'll be o.k.

I know firsthand how frustrating it is (Pip sounds like my chi's long lost brother :) ) but you gotta stick to it and it will get better, hopefully.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I forgot to ask, do you free feed him? Like have the food out at all times for him to eat? If you do that it changes the predictability of when he'll poop. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, sadly we do free feed. He just wouldn't eat on a regular basis, he gets side tracked so easily. I am going to try and go with am and pm now, hoping I can retrain. I am also going to keep him with me in the bathroom when I shower and so on. when I nap he naps with me, and when I am up he sits with me all the time-the only time he is out of my site is when he is playing with his toys. I made a big mistake though by putting the pads behind the couch where the dining room is-that is when I can' see him and he is very quiet. We did that just so the pads were out of site, not that it really matters though, we are the only ones here.
We did talk and hubby will start taking him out again in the am before he goes to work. I don'tknow if Pip will eat, but he should potty. But like you said, I think we are confusing him! It would be not an issue at all if the pee wouldn't leak on the carpet (he lifts his leg on the corner, sometimes it hits the pad, sometimes it doesn't) Thanks for your help, but I am still confused! :(

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I hope someone can help you better. Mine still have accidents so I'm kinda in the same boat. I HATE when they pee and they think they are on the pad and they are barely off the dang thing :evil: .

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you helped just fine! And I appreciate it I really do. Guess I am looking for the magical answer that doesn't exist, ya know? Plus, my back surgey is really stressing us out right now. I think you are right though, I think we have managed to confuse him. My mil suggested getting a shower curtain and cutting it to a bit bigger than the pads. Also, she said that when we have the condo, we can do whatever we want to it, which means we can even make a linolium covered corner especially for Pip. May look funny to prospective owners down the road-but I don't know if we can worry about that. Otherwise, I can put the padsin the far end of our kitchen (galley style, under the window at the condo). I do so appreciate your help, made a lot of sense!

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Hey your mil had a great suggestion, the shower curtain! I think I might even try that one myself! :wink:

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Is there someone else who could foster your chi just while you are recovering from surgery as hubby is at work 10 hrs a day? :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think every chi owner does what works the best for them and their pup when it comes to potty training. There is no wrong way to do it.
I am not sure this will help you, but I thought I would share "my way" with you. :)
I got my Pepita a week ago and she is a bit over 4 months. The breeder said she was pertty consistent in going on the paper.
I put a tarp on the carpet, sheet on the top of it, and then the plastic x-pen, which is fairly big for a tiny 3lb dog. I put newspaper in one corner and her bed, food & water in the far one.
She would go on the paper sometimes, but she pretty much peed all over the sheet. When I took her out to play with her, I woud always have newspaper nearby, but she would just squat down in the middle of running, peed on the carpet, and kept running around. So, I figured I will have to start the potty training all over, and for that the x-pen was too much of a "free" space for her, and she didn't really feel like it was her den that she needed to keep clean.
So, after couple days I took an XL Vari Kennel that our lab mix wasn't using, I put a sheet on the bottom, small litterbox with newspaper in one corner, and her bed and food close to the door. This way she doesn't have almost any room to roam around, but she is not confined in a tiny kennel either. I put her big bed right by the wire door and she loves to sit in it and watch what's going on in the living room.
I take her out several times a day, and we play on the kitchen floor with balls and stuffed toys. I always bring her litter box and put it on the kitchen floor next to us.
Pepita hasn't peed anywhere else other than the litter box while she is in the XL kennel, and she hasn't have an accident in the kitchen either, but I watch her like a hawk when she is out of her kennel, and when I see her sniffing and getting ready to squat, I pick her up and put her in the litter box right away.
I had her out on the carpet this morning and after about 10 min of intense running around, she started getting into the "poop position" right on the carpet. I scooped her up, put her in the litter box and she pooped there. Of course I made a huge deal out of it. :)
She is nowhere near to being potty trained, but I am determined to keep this up till she understands that the litter box is the only place to go.
I am sure this wouldn't work for everybody and somebody might not agree with the use of an XL kennel, but this is working great for me, and Pepita sems content with this set up as well.
I work part-time, so I have the time to work with her. I also take her out anytime I sit down for awhile (TV, computer, reading) and she sleeps on my lap.
Maybe the use of the large kennel would help you keep the mess within one small area after you have your surgery.
I free feed Pepita as well. The breeder recommended it due to her size.
I hope your surgery goes well and good luck with Pip! :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you! Pip is doing well today-he has peed outside three times, pooped once and used his pad to poop the second time. It really is just about us taking him out and I think he will use the pads if we miss it or don't take him out in time. The hard thing is for me to get the engery to get up and go first thing when I wake up. Hubby will take him out before he goes to work, then I will when I get up and then we take turns later. I appreciate your help. I had just hoped he'd use the box. Oh well, guess I will return it tomorrow-not like he used it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I like that idea

I like the idea of the shower curtain. Dobbie uses his pee pad in the bathroom, which is tiled. However, sometimes he catches the edge of it and I end up with a little puddle. It's easily cleaned up, but the shower curtain would assist in keeping the pad down, etc.

Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will tell my mil thanks for you all :)
We did really well with him over the weekend, then today I noticed three pee spots on his pads which were dry yesterday, plus poop behind the dining table. We have no idea when he did this. He sleeps with me all night and when we are up he is usually in my lap. Even when he goes off on his own, if he uses his pad I can hear him walking on it. We aren't mad b/c atleast he is using the pads, but how did we miss it?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
awesome today! Hubby took him out, then I did two more times, then we did it four times in the afternoon and evening. He didn't go inside at all, this is the first time for him! And, we now know that unless he sits by your feet or acts like he wants up, then he isn't done. So, we just walk around til he does both or one and then sits at my feet. I feel so much better now. We don't mind if he does go on the pads, but we are very happy he knows to go outside too. Ten points for me!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts