Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what I've done wrong with him.. I've tried every method to housebreak him.. my brand new house smells like dog pee and I just went to change into my workout clothes and I think he peed on them!! rrr..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he goes outside just fine... no problems.. but he still has accidents at least once a day.. today I found a wet spot in the room he stays in while I'm at work. I hate to crate him.. but it might have to again.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
how many hours is he left while you are at work ? do you leave a pad down or litterbox for him to use ?

welcome by the way and what a cutie pie you have :wave:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.. I'm totally nuts about him.. he's my babe!!
He's alone about 9 hours a day. He has puppy pads in the room he stays in. I do go home for lunch and take him out. I feel bad because he's alone for so long every day so that is why I haven't kept him in his crate for the past few months. I will be leaving to go out of town for a wedding and my husband works too far to come home on lunch.. I may see some changes in him after I come back from my trip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is he neutered? Sometimes that helps with housebreaking as well!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:wink: I know he might cry a lot and that it sounds really bad but CRATING will save you TONS AND TONS of problems...after he gets the hand of what his boundaries are crate training is your best option..if you really don't wanna crate, try completely limiting his space..a play pen or x-pen were he has a pee pad, toys and bed...even when you are there..take him out only as a treat.. :wink: hope that helps and good luck! :wink:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Some simply take longer than others and well some never get it!! I am sure it will click soon. Use NAtures Miracle to get the smell out and steam clean the rugs and throw the Naures in the machine with the soap and all also.....he may just be smelling his old spots and not understanding!

·
Registered
795 Posts
vala444 said:
:wink: I know he might cry a lot and that it sounds really bad but CRATING will save you TONS AND TONS of problems...after he gets the hand of what his boundaries are crate training is your best option..if you really don't wanna crate, try completely limiting his space..a play pen or x-pen were he has a pee pad, toys and bed...even when you are there..take him out only as a treat.. :wink: hope that helps and good luck! :wink:
A Play Pen works great! You should really consider making one, or buying one. My Mom was fostering a chi who wasn't quite potty trained and it seemed only a couple of days she learned that it was wrong. The play pen she set up is like 3 feet by 2 feet and easy to fold and put in the closet or under the bed. While my mom was at work the chi wouldn't tinkle or anything until she let her out. She works a 9 hr job as well. I think because of the limited space she didnt want to do anything because thats where she slept and ate, she didn't want to walk in her own ...icky stuff.. lol! But its something you should really consider, I'm most definitly making one for mine. I can ask my mom how she made hers and let you know if you want.
:D *Tiff

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Don't feel bad about crating him. Dogs are naturally den animals and will eventually go to that place as their own safe haven. Plus they will not mess their crates, so it will prevent accidents - as you can take him out directly after you wake up.. after you feed him breakfast (before you put him in his crate) - and when you get home.

Dogs will have "accidents" for up to two years. You might also want to consider making a BIG DEAL out of it when he goes outside. That way he knows that when he goes outside he gets good treats and love.. but when he goes inside, you ignore him and he doesn't get any attention.

As for smellnig like dog pee.. I recommend using an enzyme cleaner like NATURES MIRACLE or PET ENZYME (both available at PetSmart). Then after cleaning up the spots, sprinkle a pet safe carpet cleaner on your carpet efore vacuuming - and then an after carpet spray after the vacuum. That usually takes care of smells for me!

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
You absolutely must try to get rid of the pee odor. They will always go back to that same spot on the rug, if they can smell it. He will eventually get the hang of it :)

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Bella is 2 y/old and still will have accidents if not watched carefully....I found penning her in the bathroom with pee pads, food, water, bed and toys has been helpful when I am away at work.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Richie is also 10 months old and he has accidents sometimes (like, maybe once per week). But this was an enormous improvement in the last few months! I also didn't want to crate him and decided just to be patient. I really think that some dogs just need more time. Good luck!

Richie's mom

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
We used a baby gate to confine Ritz in the bathroom, covered the entire floor with pee pads, and when he peed on one, we took some away. When he learned to pee in the same place (on the pads) we took them all away. After he went on the pads consistently when confined, we let him out with supervision, keeping him in there at night and while we were gone. After he's earned our trust he goes in the same place everytime. This was a month long process but well worth it. Your pup is adorable!

·
Registered
24 Posts
have you ever considered having your chi profesionaly trained? I had this done to one of my chi's a long time ago and it worked out great!

but another method that I found works is put your chi on a leash, and when ever he looks like he needs to go potty then show him to the spot that you wish for him to relieve himself at. this does take a couple of days to a week for this method to work but I do believe that it is better then smelling urine. RIGHT?

if you need more help just ask me I'm sorta an expert on this type of stuff!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts