Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok! Sorry for the dramatic heading but I needed to get your attention!!

Please Help! This description is a little long winded but please help if you can!

Every weekend I go to my partners house. And its like as soon as Fiddle see's my partners mum, I don't even exist. :(

She totally ignores me if she is around and will squirm out of my hands or my lap to go see her!

I know this sounds petty but it really upsets me!!!!

The worst was last night, she wouldn't even come when called or settle in my lap even though you could see how tired she was. But then when I was in the car, just us, she was my best friend again. Wanting to curl up on my lap??

When I got home she went to my dad, which I don't mind because he had not seen her all weekend. But then she didn't follow me to bed (she usually follows me all around my house)

When my dad put her in my room she went to her bed and wouldnt come up on my bed so i could take of her shirt.

I know how petty this is but It really upsets me. I feel like my dog hates me!

(p.s. it doesnt help that my partners mum is an absolute moron when it comes to dogs, both her dogs are obese and pretty much abandoned in the back yard. She gives more attention to my Chi then to both her dogs combined, which I think is so terrible for her dogs!)

(p.p.s. I Love my Chi and I don't do anything to hurt her or make her not like me!)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh dear. I had that problem with my dog for a short time. He had a fascination with another dog, and also with another person. When he saw that dog or person, he wouldn't come when called, and he would totally ignore me in favor of that person/dog.

Training through it can help, if your partner's mum is willing, have her act as a distraction. Keep a really yummy treat in your hand, and have her fuss over the dog. When you call her and she comes, give her that really yummy treat. If she doesn't come, partner's mum must immediately stop fussing over the dog and turn her back. The dog will probably try to prance around and be seen, but she needs to just keep turning her back while you try and get the dog's attention.

This works for specifics, but my best results in training actually came with a different sort of training. I started taking my chihuahua to agility. He really loves it, and all the bouncing and fussing and treats has made him a lot more centered on me. He will even leave his best dog friend to come over to me when I call him now, because of the agility training.

I'm not sure why that is, since we aren't focusing on other dogs or peopel during training, but it really does seem to make a difference.

I sure hope that helps, and good luck to you!

·
Registered
323 Posts
my dogs do the same thing. Fiddle dont hate you. its just they love to love everyone. i have my fav girl who will do it to me at times. they can tell if you are up set or in that kind of mood they just stay away...have you talked baby talk to her?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my dogs do the same thing. Fiddle dont hate you. its just they love to love everyone. i have my fav girl who will do it to me at times. they can tell if you are up set or in that kind of mood they just stay away...have you talked baby talk to her?
Yeah I do sometimes. But every word my partners mum says is in baby talk.

Ugh this is horrible I feel like I am competing for her!

I know she is a dog and will want to wonder around and see other ppl but when i say i dont exist. i mean, i full on dont. and she only follows his mum around!

I think, scratch that, i KNOW she continues to give Fiddle scraps and i think this is partly why she passes me for her!

This has been quietly burning me up on the inside every weekend. Im at the point where I dont want to take her over there

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I do sometimes. But every word my partners mum says is in baby talk.

Ugh this is horrible I feel like I am competing for her!

I know she is a dog and will want to wonder around and see other ppl but when i say i dont exist. i mean, i full on dont. and she only follows his mum around!

I think, scratch that, i KNOW she continues to give Fiddle scraps and i think this is partly why she passes me for her!

This has been quietly burning me up on the inside every weekend. Im at the point where I dont want to take her over there
AAAAANNNNNDDD

Last night Fiddle was following her into the kitchen. When i was carrying her to the car i noticed there were some funny spots on her head. Turns out its OIL from the fry pan (you know when you cook how it sort of spits) my dog had hot oil on her face, near her eyes and ears because this dumb woman feeds my dog in the kitchen!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I wouldn't overthink this, Fiddle is infatuated with her because from her hand comes delicious, and deadly, people food.

She doesn't hate you, she just knows this woman will feed her.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't overthink this, Fiddle is infatuated with her because from her hand comes delicious, and deadly, people food.

She doesn't hate you, she just knows this woman will feed her.
My sensible side knows this is true but my dramatic side just wont accept it haha.

I had a big cry to my partner last night, telling him i'm never going to have kids if they just leave me like this! haha

I have told this moron time and time again not too feed her. Yet she continues to do so. Because she knows best. and im an idiot apparently.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ouch. Maybe it would be safer for the health of the dog if you don't bring her over anymore. Boiling oil in the face is not cool, and neither is feeding unknown substances to your dog. Even the seasoning she uses could cause an allergic reaction that could be deadly. Rocco for example, got hold of some hot sauce one time and it caused hot spots everywhere. You really don't want to experience that.

And that's definitely not love shining in her eyes, that's the reflection of greasy treats. -.-

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ouch. Maybe it would be safer for the health of the dog if you don't bring her over anymore. Boiling oil in the face is not cool, and neither is feeding unknown substances to your dog. Even the seasoning she uses could cause an allergic reaction that could be deadly. Rocco for example, got hold of some hot sauce one time and it caused hot spots everywhere. You really don't want to experience that.

And that's definitely not love shining in her eyes, that's the reflection of greasy treats. -.-
I love the last part! Its so true! hahaha!

Yeah I'll have to put Fiddle in her crate next time. I might pretend that Fiddle gets really sick, and maybe she will wake up to herself!

She laughed when i told her about the oil. I wanted to stab her, in the eyes.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
My bf's mom is the exact same way!! I used to live with him and her and I had to move out because my dogs were constantly getting the runs from her feeding them ridiculous crap! And then she would b*tch when they crapped all over the house but she would still do it over and over finally after 7 months I was at my breaking point and I moved out! She stopped for awhile after that but we used to come over on weekends also anmd she started doing it again I even found cooked bones!!! So livid I stopped going there for over a year now that I grew some balls I tell her straight up to her face and I mean it noone is messing with my babies I don't have the $ to pay for vet bills right now. The only thing I allow her to feed them is rice and she's asian so she eats rice daily and she's content with feeding them that so far lol

My dog Baby-Love is in love with her and doesn't even want to sleep with us 50% of the time she loves sleeping with her and she sits with her all day while were here. When we are at home Baby doesn't sit with me at all she's in the living room with my parents all day the only time she comes upstairs with me is if my mom sends her upstairs. Your dog doesn't hate you for sure she's just following the mom bc she knows she will get food! Like the others have said. Try not to be discouraged about it. Try speaking with the mom and gwet it across to her that you do not want her feeding your dog anymore and that its very unhealthy and you can lie maybe and say you had to take her to the vet because she was sick and the vet said it was from eating human food or something or get your bf to speak with her. Sometimes people are just stubborn and don't care/ listen as was the case in my situation you may have to leave her behind or see if your bf will come stay at your place on weekends instead that's what I had to do anyways. Good Luck!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My bf's mom is the exact same way!! I used to live with him and her and I had to move out because my dogs were constantly getting the runs from her feeding them ridiculous crap! And then she would b*tch when they crapped all over the house but she would still do it over and over finally after 7 months I was at my breaking point and I moved out! She stopped for awhile after that but we used to come over on weekends also anmd she started doing it again I even found cooked bones!!! So livid I stopped going there for over a year now that I grew some balls I tell her straight up to her face and I mean it noone is messing with my babies I don't have the $ to pay for vet bills right now. The only thing I allow her to feed them is rice and she's asian so she eats rice daily and she's content with feeding them that so far lol

My dog Baby-Love is in love with her and doesn't even want to sleep with us 50% of the time she loves sleeping with her and she sits with her all day while were here. When we are at home Baby doesn't sit with me at all she's in the living room with my parents all day the only time she comes upstairs with me is if my mom sends her upstairs. Your dog doesn't hate you for sure she's just following the mom bc she knows she will get food! Like the others have said. Try not to be discouraged about it. Try speaking with the mom and gwet it across to her that you do not want her feeding your dog anymore and that its very unhealthy and you can lie maybe and say you had to take her to the vet because she was sick and the vet said it was from eating human food or something or get your bf to speak with her. Sometimes people are just stubborn and don't care/ listen as was the case in my situation you may have to leave her behind or see if your bf will come stay at your place on weekends instead that's what I had to do anyways. Good Luck!
THANK GOD someone else had this issue!

Sofar I have been getting my partner to speak to his mum but I think if she keeps it up I will have to talk to her myself.

She is an idiot anyways

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh dear. I had that problem with my dog for a short time. He had a fascination with another dog, and also with another person. When he saw that dog or person, he wouldn't come when called, and he would totally ignore me in favor of that person/dog.

Training through it can help, if your partner's mum is willing, have her act as a distraction. Keep a really yummy treat in your hand, and have her fuss over the dog. When you call her and she comes, give her that really yummy treat. If she doesn't come, partner's mum must immediately stop fussing over the dog and turn her back. The dog will probably try to prance around and be seen, but she needs to just keep turning her back while you try and get the dog's attention.

This works for specifics, but my best results in training actually came with a different sort of training. I started taking my chihuahua to agility. He really loves it, and all the bouncing and fussing and treats has made him a lot more centered on me. He will even leave his best dog friend to come over to me when I call him now, because of the agility training.

I'm not sure why that is, since we aren't focusing on other dogs or peopel during training, but it really does seem to make a difference.

I sure hope that helps, and good luck to you!
Unfortunately the problem here IS my partners mum!!

She loves that Chi will go to her over me. She picks her up and talks to my chi in baby talk and refers to herself as "mummy"

I don't think i have ever wanted to punch a full grown woman in the face so much!

Karma is good tho! when Fiddle gets too excited and pees when she makes too much of a fuss. i told her im not going to clean it up anymore, because she ignored the advice I gave her to stop Fiddle weeing. it worked for everyone else. but she wont listen, and gets peed on.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
If you leash her to you, she can't follow your partner's mum around. It's called compa6nion training, and I've done it with each of my chi's as they are added to the pack. I want them bonded to me not any shmuck with food in their hand :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you leash her to you, she can't follow your partner's mum around. It's called compa6nion training, and I've done it with each of my chi's as they are added to the pack. I want them bonded to me not any shmuck with food in their hand :)
by leash you mean, just keep her on the leash so she can't leave me?

Im guessing i give her treats for staying?

Does it work?

Any chance you could pm me a crash course on it?

AND finally, this wont make her over protective of me will it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Honestly I'd speak to your mil and tell her she's made fiddle sick ad it cost you x amount in vets bills she won't know :roll: also I would do the companion training kristi suggested.. How old is fiddle?? Around 5-9 months they wt this stupid independent streak and like to mooch off alone... Eg daisy is 10 months she will go off in the park and not come back unless I'm wafting a bag of treats around!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honestly I'd speak to your mil and tell her she's made fiddle sick ad it cost you x amount in vets bills she won't know :roll: also I would do the companion training kristi suggested.. How old is fiddle?? Around 5-9 months they wt this stupid independent streak and like to mooch off alone... Eg daisy is 10 months she will go off in the park and not come back unless I'm wafting a bag of treats around!!
Yeah she is comming up to 5 months in a few days. Last night Fiddle actually was acting out of character so I took her to the vet, She needed a check up anyways. And I made sure I told my partner all about it with my extra worried voice haha.

The companion training does sound good. Fiddle always did follow me around and sit on my lap and stuff untill now. So hopefully this will renforce that behaviour.

Hahaha at having to waft the treat bag. I can see that Fiddle will be like that in the future!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
If they are food driven it works I'm only little and if she's the other end of the park I'm like waving it around like a nutter she always comes back for her nommies haha

I'd tell the bf he needs to pay the bill coz his mother made her sick.. I'm funny like that daisy is severly allergic to dog treats and food and gets blood pouring out her bum (not joking it was over my trousers) my mate free feeds and was free feeding pedigree crap and she knows how sock daisy gets yet always left it down I was hysterical in the end I said I either don't come over, you pay My vets bills or pick te **** up before I come round.

She picks it up although she has half changed her food

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If they are food driven it works I'm only little and if she's the other end of the park I'm like waving it around like a nutter she always comes back for her nommies haha

I'd tell the bf he needs to pay the bill coz his mother made her sick.. I'm funny like that daisy is severly allergic to dog treats and food and gets blood pouring out her bum (not joking it was over my trousers) my mate free feeds and was free feeding pedigree crap and she knows how sock daisy gets yet always left it down I was hysterical in the end I said I either don't come over, you pay My vets bills or pick te **** up before I come round.

She picks it up although she has half changed her food
Yeah, I think it has alot to do with respect. and some ppl just dont have it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts