Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my chi is 1 year old and is has been marking the house in many places over the last couple months. If I neuter him now is it going to help or is it already too late? The vet says it probably won't help if he has already started, but I figured that if anyone could help, the community of this forum could! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I think it would help ! But you will have to wash all the places he's been marking very well ,so he doesn't go back there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
nope, wont help. I adopted a 12 yr old precious male, probably been neutered for years. When he is left loose and unattended and without his belly band, he pees all over the house. I have 5 male tiny poodles, one is neutered. They all mark and pee everywhere when in the house. They were all house trained to potty pads and little fire hydrants. They do use the fire hydrants, but also 'use' every other thing standing in the house. If there is a ball or bowl on the floor, they pee all over it. Boys are boys......

pam in TX

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
My guy was neutered at a year old he's now almost 5 and he still marks all over the house he does it in spurts tho I just ordered a belly band for him

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Females rule in this area!!! Belly band is the only thing that is fool proof as to marking. IF he leaves it on. Good luck. I would neuter him anyways, just for health reasons. Sue

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Females rule in this area!!! Belly band is the only thing that is fool proof as to marking. IF he leaves it on. Good luck. I would neuter him anyways, just for health reasons. Sue
Agree with susan about neutering,my friend had your trouble had him neutered and he was fine,suppose it works for some and not others

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
When washing the places he has marked was it with non biological washing powder as that has no ammonia in it. All cleaning fluids do so no matter how much you clean you are still putting ammonia there.
Non biological powder doesn't

·
Registered
376 Posts
You can also use some type of enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle or BioKleen Bac Out spray.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Have him neutered...Pedro was 3 years old when neutered, and part of the reason he was abused before we got him was because the previous owner didn't have the wits about her to have him fixed. He's not marked his territory since. It's taken a year and a half to get him to stop flinching when we raise our hands or move quickly...

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I would give it a try. If it doesn't, you can always have him wear a belly band. A month after wearing a belly band when in the living room, Gonzo is now house safe. The rest of my males are not 100% safe out of the dog room because most of them will still mark. I plan to start each one on the belly band and see if I can get them all house safe.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
There is NO downside to getting your dog neutered. It may well help with his marking, but even if it doesn't, it's still better for him for health reasons. Tango was neutered at 8 months and doesn't mark, doesn 't lift his leg at all to pee when we're home. He will if we're out though...I swear I never knew a little 3.5 pound dog could have so much pee...he'll mark every single bush and blade of grass between the car and the store :D

A Belly Band is an absorbent band that velcro's around the tummy area of a male dog, covering their penis and preventing their pee from getting on surfaces. My roommate used one a lot for her pug. She'd put a sanitary pad in it to make it more absorbent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts