Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got my puppy sunday and he really is lovely and so sweet and cuddly, and i love him to bits. he's catching onto potty training really quickly and walking on a leash.... less quickly, but i'm having one really big problem with him. when he wants to play, he bites, a lot, and really hard. it hurts, leaves marks, and i'm surprised he hasn't broken skin yet. i always try to replace my fingers/ears/nose with a toy and he'll play with it for like 30 seconds, but then he's back to biting me! i know he isn't trying to be aggressive and is just playing, but how do i stop it? i have nieces i want him to be able to play with, and it just hurts!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I don't know much on how to get them to stop.
But I do know distracting them with a toy, if interested possibly a chew bone (non edible or edible)
Firmly telling them no
2 of my dogs I had them as pups but I don't remember going through a biting to the point it was an issue. But Buddy Bear has been going through this thing where he'll jump up and bite my fingers (I don't think he means any harm but he isn't a puppy either) I think it's because he's excited since he knows it's "dinner" time. But I haven't worked on it with him.
I'm sure others will have much more useful advice.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Sounds like baby teething to me.. I used a firm "NO" while substituting a teething bone. The no spoken in a slightly different elevated voice would get their attention, but you must be consistent for them to learn. Good luck..

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
It is very hard to stop a puppy from biting you! If you are playing with him/her -- stop. Turn away from the dog. Act hurt. Maybe give a little cry--high pitched> Do this over time, and hopefully it will slow down or stop. Make sure to offer the pup some thing to chew on that is acceptable. Tincture of time will be needed! (my former employer, a MD used to say this was the worse prescription he could give!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like baby teething to me.. I used a firm "NO" while substituting a teething bone. The no spoken in a slightly different elevated voice would get their attention, but you must be consistent for them to learn. Good luck..
i already do this but i just feels like it's getting worse :(

It is very hard to stop a puppy from biting you! If you are playing with him/her -- stop. Turn away from the dog. Act hurt. Maybe give a little cry--high pitched> Do this over time, and hopefully it will slow down or stop. Make sure to offer the pup some thing to chew on that is acceptable. Tincture of time will be needed! (my former employer, a MD used to say this was the worse prescription he could give!)
i keep doing this, but it feels like it's getting worse... we'll see

1 - 5 of 5 Posts