Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i really would like to house train Bentley-J as quickly as possible, what is the best form of potty/toilet training?
what did you guys find to be the easiest, safest way?

crate, puppy litter tray , pads or outdoors?

I have a garden but Bentley-J aint booked in for 1st jabs till 10th July and i dont want him in garden till hes been fully vaccinated what would u suggest i do? i also have a crate.

Ive had dogs before but they were fully vaccinated and semi paper trained when with breeder so made the toilet training process easier

thanks for your help

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
He can go into your backyard without having all of his vaccines... He just can't walk anywhere that there may be other people/dogs that could expose him.

Whatever works for your lifestyle is the best method for you! For instance, Toby is pee pad trained but he also goes outside. He has such a small bladder that holding it inside wasn't going to work, he pees too often. It can be confusing to try two methods, though. I'd start with one method and stick to it.

Whatever method you choose, he needs to go potty every 45 minutes to an hour. He cannot be unsupervised for even 10 seconds. Many people attach the dogs lead to them so the dog cannot sneak away. When you take him to whatever you use as his potty, tell him "go potty" or some variation of that. When he goes, praise him like he is the best thing on earth and give him a treat. Don't expect him to be able to hold it all night. And stay consistent. Good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He can go into your backyard without having all of his vaccines... He just can't walk anywhere that there may be other people/dogs that could expose him.

Whatever works for your lifestyle is the best method for you! For instance, Toby is pee pad trained but he also goes outside. He has such a small bladder that holding it inside wasn't going to work, he pees too often. It can be confusing to try two methods, though. I'd start with one method and stick to it.

Whatever method you choose, he needs to go potty every 45 minutes to an hour. He cannot be unsupervised for even 10 seconds. Many people attach the dogs lead to them so the dog cannot sneak away. When you take him to whatever you use as his potty, tell him "go potty" or some variation of that. When he goes, praise him like he is the best thing on earth and give him a treat. Don't expect him to be able to hold it all night. And stay consistent. Good luck!
Thank you for your advice i have been putting him in the crate every 45mins to an hour he has gone in there an i do praise him had a few accidents but this is expected, i will pick up some pads an maybe the puppy litter an put these by the door as my garden cats n foxes go in my garden so until hes vaccinated dont really want him in the garden

you guys are so helpful and great thanks alot

1 - 3 of 3 Posts