Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks -

I think I've posted on this forum before that I am retired, and the "old lady" on here! Most of you are sooo young! LOL. Anyway, here's my problem. I previously worked in the accounting dept of our local hospital here and I received a call from them today. They want me to work for a few weeks until they can hire and I can train someone else. Seems the person they hired to replace me just didn't work out. My baby, Jasmine is 7 mo. old, but has never been left home alone for more than 2-3 hours at a time. When I do leave her home, I close off the bedrooms and bathrooms and let her have the run of the family room and kitchen area. I've never had a problem doing this-she is always very good, and is trained to her pee pads But, being gone for over 8 hrs a day is an awfully long time. Do you think I should leave her out or crate her? I REALLY don't want to crate her as she is not real fond of her crate. She is fine with it as long as the door is open and she can come and go on her own. But, I want to do what is best for her. I am just really undecided about this. I almost called them back today and declined. But, it will only be for 4-6 weeks, and they are paying me extremely well!

So, what do you all think? I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I personally would just let her stay in the enclosed area that you have been doing. 8 hours is a long time to be in a crate. WAY to long for a puppy I think. Plus she is already used to being in that area when you are gone, so I would just keep her in that routine.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
karis said:
I personally would just let her stay in the enclosed area that you have been doing. 8 hours is a long time to be in a crate. WAY to long for a puppy I think. Plus she is already used to being in that area when you are gone, so I would just keep her in that routine.
I agree!!! :)

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I don't know Chimom.......I might give you a run for your money in the " old age " group LOL
I still work and I leave Bella in the bathroom with her bed, water, food, pee pads and the radio on and she makes out fine. I put up a baby gate so she doesn't feel shut in and when she see's me get my work clothes out of the closet, she goes into the b/room and settles into her comfy bed........no upsets at all.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I agree with the others, let her have the run of the area she is used to having and make sure she has lots to keep her occupied..she will be fine i am sure and you should go for the job! :D

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I think what you are doing is fine. I leave Sadie and Ritz home while I go to work (from 8-5 and sometimes later) and they have full run of the house. They are always fine...they just miss me and give me lots of kisses when I come home. As long as she has her food, water, pads and sleeping area I think she'd be fine...

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i agree with everyone, she'll be fine with what you have been doing for her :wave: chiwi is miserable in her crate and i feel so bad putting her in it, the only reason i do is because i'm ot puppy proofed yet so saturday my calender is clear and i will be puppy proofing and chiwi will have full run without me having to worry. she does so well with the wee wee pads even in the middle of the night she will wake up go off the bed do her business then come right back up so i don't think that will be a problem.... knock on wood....

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
ilovesadie said:
I think what you are doing is fine. I leave Sadie and Ritz home while I go to work (from 8-5 and sometimes later) and they have full run of the house. They are always fine...they just miss me and give me lots of kisses when I come home. As long as she has her food, water, pads and sleeping area I think she'd be fine...
exactly same scenario here :D
i think you should go for it !! like you said it's only for a couple of weeks!!

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
From yet another "old lady" I agree with the others, let her have the normal run of the rooms she has now when you leave her and she should be fine. Hopefully the new hire will be fairly bright and you won't have to stay back at work too long.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your opinions, folks. I also feel she will be better off not crated, that would be such change for her. Just feel better about it with your input though.

Actually, we had a trial run today-I took my oldest son to the VA hospital for tests, etc. prior to him having back surgery and was gone over 6 hrs. I left her loose in the house with just the bedrooms closed off, and she did just fine. No messes, nothing destroyed or chewed up -thank goodness, - and used her pee pad as she always does. So I feel much better about things now.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
ilovesadie said:

I only crated mine when i first got them till they were socialized and set their boundaries. otherwise they all go in the kitchen If I am going to be gone a bit longer then normal.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I agree too, keep her to her normal routine as she has now. Is there a way you can come home for lunch? It sounds like she'll be just fine while you're at work.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE!!

Well, I worked yesterday and today and let Jasmine have the run of the family room and kitchen. I am glad to report, SHE DID ABSOLUTELY GREAT!! She used her potty pad and didn't destroy anything or make a mess. I am so proud of her!!

But, oh was she glad to see her mommy! She went nuts when she heard my car in the driveway and by the time I got the door unlocked and got in the house she was barking and whining and running in circles. :lol: Of course, mommy was a little glad to see her furbaby too! Geez, I missed her terribly I'm glad this job is only temporary. :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts