Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so...yesterday Oakley came into work with me. The office is decently clean but I know we did have an exterminator in a few weeks back. To the best of my knowledge though there is absolutely nothing inside our building it's all outside. But people are always eating food there, especially up stairs. She kind of wanders around when she is there and of course she is a dog and may have eaten god knows what, including chocolate possibly?

She was fine all last evening, slept through the night just fine...but then starting this AM she has had 4 bouts of diarrhea. So on my lunch break I came home and gave her 2 ML of pepto bismol (this is about 1/2 the max dosage for her size), and 2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin mixed in with 1 teaspoon of chicken baby food and 2 tablespoons of unflavored pedialyte.

She had one more bout of diarrhea directly after that, and I noticed there was a small amount of bright red blood at the very end.

Since then she has had one relatively normal BM, I am assuming resultant of the pumpkin/pepto...

But now she is acting really weird...she refuses to put weight on her left rear leg. Now, I know exactly how to check knees for luxating patella, and her knee is 100% fine. I put pressure all over her leg/knee etc, and forced her to put weight on the leg, which didn't seem to cause her any discomfort or pain. She has been with me all night and literally randomly just started holding the leg up. But other than that everything else about the leg seems fine, she is not bothered when we move it, put pressure on it, etc, and knee is good,...so...why would she be holding the leg up?

I am wondering what the heck is going on? We called the e-vet who said that just to keep an eye on her and to give her canned pumpkin etc all the things I did. Could she have pulled a muscle during her BM? She is a little bit cranky and while she doesn't seem in a horrible amount of pain, she is a little quivery...but that is most likely cuz she knows I am worked up...

I didn't give her a full dinner, just another teaspoon of chicken babyfood in pedialyte to rehydrate her, and then all this started up.

If she were to have eaten something poisonous, would it have taken this long for this to start? She otherwise all day was playing and acting fine, until tonight, other than the diarrhea, which, I wasn't worried about cuz I just figured she ate something off the floor?? I really have no idea...and the e-vet basically said there is no reason to bring her in just keep an eye on her and see how she is tomorrow but its like...I worry b'c she is this little 3.5 lb dog if something is wrong it needs to be treated...I will get up every hour or so tonight to check on her but ... thoughts?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have no idea, but just wanted to offer some prayers for Oakley and for you that all is fine in the morning.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just can't imagine what is wrong? Like really she pottied, then came in and slept next to me for an hour or so, and when she got up, wouldn't use the leg?? And the shakey bit, compiled with the diarrhea...really has me worried!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think so Amanda...? Its pretty cold here and really there are no bugs out and about yet...I did check her paw pads too to see if there was anything jammed in there? And nothing...I am so paranoid she somehow ate poison...but the only time she could have done that is more than 24 hours ago at my office and I can't imagine it would have taken this long to affect her?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought of that too and I just don't know...like, I mean I guess there are spiders all year round...? Ahhhhh why do these things NEVER happen when the vet is OPEN?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Poor dear. I cant imagine her eating anything affecting her leg? I would lean more towards a bite or maybe cut on something? but this is so weird? Sorry I cant help more but I will keep her in my prayers.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I don't think so Amanda...? Its pretty cold here and really there are no bugs out and about yet...I did check her paw pads too to see if there was anything jammed in there? And nothing...I am so paranoid she somehow ate poison...but the only time she could have done that is more than 24 hours ago at my office and I can't imagine it would have taken this long to affect her?
Nah in a dog that small it would have surfaced by now. Just monitor her closely I would think. Fingers crossed!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess that is why I wonder if she might have twisted something inside of her, or strained an intestine, or something like that, from pooping? I just do not know...

Thanks for the prayers ... I mean, really it is all we can do...hopefully she will be just fine tomorrow after a night's sleep but I am worried sick about her.

She's alert though, and her nose is cool and wet...she seems to be hungry and have an appetite (all she has had tonight is the chicken/pumpkin/pedialyte mix so her tummy has time to settle after the diarrhea...)...I normally don't let her run around my office doing as she pleases but she kept running back and forth between my coworkers and I figured she'd be fine...sigh :(

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Could it be something with her paw/paw pads/ nails? Maybe she has an anal gland acting up making her sore on that side and she is just favoring a rear leg because something is uncomfortable back there?
Im so sorry, it is the WORST knowing theyre off and not knowing why, and its so hard to know how serious it is. If it were an emergency though, you would know it. The only times I find myself struggling with deciding whether something warrants an emerg vet visit are when its something that really can wait, and Im just second guessing b/c Im worried and want to know whats going on.
I hope shes better soon, keep us posted.
Sending you guys good thoughts :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i have no answer just wanted to say oakley is my favorite of your family she is such a fun chih to read about i wi sh you the best in getting her all well again keep us posted

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm so sorry she isn't feeling well and that you're worried. Pepper tripods around sometimes when she has to poo and doesn't feel well. Maybe the leg is just a result of Oakley's upset tummy? Hope she feels better and you get some sleep.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is very a intreating and I know a lot about dog behaver and have studed it for a long time and my first gusse what that some thing scared her and she is just scared and I'm share that any one here can agrae with me in saying that it does not take much at all to scared a little 4 pond chi. When a dog is scared they will shake and when they do not know what to do they will lift there leg and these two simtoms can commonly be found together but the thing that is ward is that she is doing it whit her back leg. Now does she do it for a short bit and then may be just tap it on the groud and hold it up again? My chi like all chi gets scared ez and sometimes will randomly lift her legs for a short bit and tap them on the ground like she is dancing in slow-motion one other thing it could be is that the floor is cool and that paw is the most sensitive to the cool so she lifts it up and is shaking because she it cold even if she has a coat on it would be like you at the snow with a very worm coat on but no shoes , you would be cold would you not? Hope this helps! And sorry for the miss spelling XD

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I really, really don't want to worry you, but it sounds a little like when Smoke got into whatever he got into. He did the raised leg and quivery thing, too. And he had the seizures. But I don't remember any diarrhea. Hoping and praying that it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I went to bed before you posted this last night and have just seen it this morning. Hope that this morning finds her more like herself and feeling better. Since I have had recent experience, I hope you were not at the ER through the night. Poor little girl.
Keep us posted as you can!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts