Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2 yr old male chi that I've had since he was 8 wks old. He is spoiled rotten and very loving. About a week ago I came upon a lady selling chi puppies and I couldnt resist buying one. When I got home my male (Kodi) didnt want anything to do with the baby which is a girl (Mocha) or me for that matter. he kept growling at her. He hid under the couch all day and the next only coming out to eat or go outside to potty.

After the first couple of days he would lay on the couch like always but he wouldnt come to me or go around Mocha at all. I thought I would give Kodi some time to adjust to the new baby and not rush him. Its been almost a week and he still wont come to me if Mocha is near. She was trying to play with him tonight but he turned around and growled so loud at her he scared her into "screaming" and running from him. He didnt actually touch her though.

Its weird because my husband has two girl kittens that Kodi will play with and sometimes sleep near. Its like he doesnt want anything to do with her because she is a female dog (he doesnt like my moms female chi either).

In the past all other dogs Ive had loved each other from the get go. Should I leave him alone or try to force him to be around her? I just want us to all be a big happy family.

Since Ive brought Mocha home Ive still tried to show extra affection toward Kodi so he wouldnt get jealous and end up hating Mocha. What can I do so he knows I still love him and havent betrayed him? Because no matter what anyone says I know chis do have almost human feeling sometimes. they can and sometimes do things out of "spite" for lack of a better wordbecause their feelings are hurt.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Try tossing a tiny treat (something he can eat without really chewing) every time Mocha is nearby. Praise him alot for being 'nice' when she comes close to him. When you interact with Mocha, toss him these treats too.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
hiya for dogs such as ur 2 year old thats been the only furkid it takes more than a week trust me. it took nearly 4 months for my 4 year old male chi to start playing with my 4 month old girl chi. i tried getting them to sleep on the same bed which is mine but i found out my male needs his own space and time away from the girl puppy. puppies are way hyper and dont know all the life experiences that thr older one does. i have a playpen for the pup to keep in for a couple hours while im at work and i have a real time ip cam set on my mobile so i can keep watch. the key is not givinf too much attention to the newcomer and give equal amount to both. the patience is well worth it. its amazing how the results are when finally the first furkid accepts the newcomer just even the slightest bit. please be patient and treats do help but then again u cant give one more than the other lol :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts