Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got little Romi at just under a year he was being fed Royal Canin Size Health Mini Junior. I switched him to Royal Canin Chihuahua 28 as I thought that as it was especially for Chihuahuas it was the best there was.

Romi doesn’t really like it and I have now done some serious reading :study:
and can see that there are better foods out there!

So I’ve just ordered trial packs (400g!!) of Orijen Puppy and Acana Wild Prarie to see which one he likes best.

I really want to know the best way of changing Romi from what he’s eating now (or not eating now as the case may be) and the new food.

Help.... :nthink:

S xxx

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
this is what i did, others may be different
1/4 new food, 3/4 old food at day 1+2 grad adding more of the new food. at 7 days you should be on the new food totaly.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I just did the same thing! Hope came with a brand new 8 lb. bag of a food that the breeder felt really good about but she was having some tummy trouble so we wanted to switch her. Once I asked here and was sent to dogfoodanalysis and then found dogfoodadvisor, I was shocked at the quality of that food and what I thought were good food choices.

I switched her to Orijen puppy formula and she LOVES it. We also started with the little 1lb bag and now bought the full sized bag.

Because of her sensitive tummy (and because we had tried to switch recently to another brand and I did not want to throw off her whole system), I switched over about 9 days. I started with maybe 10% new and gradually increased each day until she was on 100% new. She actually began picking it out of the bowl over the other. I had planned to switch over 10 days but since she was picking out the new, I just gave that to her on day 9.

Many pet stores will refund your food that did not work and if not, in the case of the bag that came with her, we donated it to our pet shelter.

I know that it can be tricky finding the right thing so I wish you the best finding the best kibble you can give your little one!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I agree with Amanda, but you have to judge your chi & how he's tolerating the change. Every chi is different. If he get's diarrhea or acts like he has upset stomach, it may take longer than 7 days to convert him. I feed mine Acana & she likes it pretty good. The main food I feed mine is The Honest Kitchen Force with a little ZiwiPeak sprinkled in and I leave a handful of Acana down for inbetween feedings when she wants something to nibble on.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I have started changing Honey's food a few days ago and she got the runs, I was mixing the old with the new 50/50 but thats to much. I am not down to 25% new 75% old, no runs so might up the new % a bit today

1 - 7 of 7 Posts